Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tn Valley Severe Weather

jaxjagman

5 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Cell ENE of Arley, AL probably about to be tornado warned.

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but the area near the HTX radar is now tornado warned (8 mi west of radar). Interestingly, google maps shows terrain with 800 ft vertical differences there.

8 minutes ago, Chinook said:
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but the area near the HTX radar is now tornado warned (8 mi west of radar). Interestingly, google maps shows terrain with 800 ft vertical differences there.

I was referring to the cell between Cullman / Good Hope i65 and Arley, AL. Though the rotation has weakened now.

26d8c88eb35da14e13cb64af0458041c.gif

There seem to be even more tornado warnings, even into the nighttime. Here's a confirmed tornado

--

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 900 PM CDT FOR NORTHERN
CALHOUN COUNTY...

At 830 PM CDT, a confirmed tornado was located near Jacksonville
State University, or near Jacksonville, moving east at 40 mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado. 

SOURCE...Radar confirmed tornado. 

Congratulations @*Flash* with the successful intercept! Looks about like my Dixie intercept last August in the remains of Harvey (down on Alabama I-22). I gather you were on state highway 24? Is it a good highway with open views and somewhat flat? Google terrain looks OK. Except for a ridge between Hwy-24 and US-72-Alt I may get to expand what I call the chasable area. Thanks!

Anyway I did not go out yesterday. My concerns were mainly timing and terrain. Figured the morning cluster out of Mississippi would be really sloppy into western Alabama; elevated trying to root usually is slop. Second cluster out of Mississippi was a little better. Reed Timmer documented a low contrast tornado out that way. Then we see Flash got Russellville!

I figured it would take all day for the central Alabama airmass to recover. Then I was worried about northeast Alabama terrain. Actually it recovered well before dark, and back in reasonable terrain, per the above. Should I have chased? Probably. Target forecast was right. However the action looks similar to what I documented in August. 

Advantage of a desk chase, in addition to being in my cozy home, is being able to follow everything at once. At nightfall east Alabama really got going. Can't chase at night, but one can sure follow Twitter and scanner radio by Broadcastify. I'm sure other apps are available. Anyway I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2018 at 10:32 PM, jaxjagman said:

Signs of a good system towards the end of March

ECMWF Model   Tropical Tidbits.png

Season 5 tmpsfc.png

RRWT   Consonant Chaos.png

That would be some serious rain in a 48-hour period.Slow moving front with short waves riding it then a developing surface low comes up Mid Tn.Either way, there is a good chance someone in the Valley is going to see some healthy rains with flooding potential next week

pivotalweather   GFS   48 hr Accumulated QPF for Fri 2018 03 30 06z.png

• Like 1

Summary on the Jacksonville, AL tornado that was rated an EF3. Considering the area it passed through, it's amazing there were no deaths and greater numbers of injured.

Estimated Maximum Wind: 150 mph
Injuries/Fatalities: 4 Injuries
Damage Path Length: 34.29 miles
Maximum Path Width: 2000 yards
Approximate Start Point/Time: 3 SSW Silver Lakes Golf Course
33.8453/-85.9472 at 8:23 pm CDT
Approximate End Point/Time: 4 SSE Mars Hill
33.7943/-85.3665 at 9:10 pm CDT

https://www.weather.gov/bmx/event_03192018_jacksonville
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Warning system worked well from TV Mets publicizing the Convective Outlook, though the Watches, and of course good lead-time Warnings. Wish they all ended this way!

Severe weather is quite possible in the South middle to late next week. However it might be south of our Region, more Deep South. We'll see how that low/wave tracks along the quasi-stationary front. Either track the wind fields are forecast to be there. One thing with confidence, as Jax mentions, flooding will be a factor.

UPDATE: Going with an ECMWF/ICON compromise and throwing out the GFS rubbish.

7 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Warning system worked well from TV Mets publicizing the Convective Outlook, though the Watches, and of course good lead-time Warnings. Wish they all ended this way!

Severe weather is quite possible in the South middle to late next week. However it might be south of our Region, more Deep South. We'll see how that low/wave tracks along the quasi-stationary front. Either track the wind fields are forecast to be there. One thing with confidence, as Jax mentions, flooding will be a factor.

UPDATE: Going with an ECMWF/ICON compromise and throwing out the GFS rubbish.

Yeah, i agree, the GFS has no support from any model with the progression it's showing.But the Euro did shift east today.So we'll see.You'd think the models would have this figured out by now without the chaos.Either way by the Euro guidance the the heavy rains would be in the eastern valley as this afternoon's run shows,there is some KI and the showalter is not impressive ,very little instability for convective storms

Long range the MJO is being shown by the GEFS getting into phase 7 pretty amped up almost 2 sigma,Euro, comes out into 7 less amped.Either could be right as the Euro don't like phase 6 for some reason,we talked about this is the fall thread.The MJO though after getting into the IO starts to lose it's signal so maybe likely it goes back into the COD,still aways off so some uncertainty

Long range models shows a typhoon into the Pacific.Euro yesterday had a upper low into North Korea with a still strong typhoon,today it has a typhoon much weaker and the low is into China.Not sure about the long range towards the 2nd week of April

• Like 2

Asia shows a trough going through Mongolia by day 7 on the Euro then a upper low into China,the typhoon is still being shown to die out.Either way towards the end of week one into week 2 of April we could be once again looking at a good system.The whole chorus this late winter into early spring has been suppressed systems.But still i see some good signals.On the RRWT lifted Index it's showing the lift tapping into the GOM and coming into the lower OV,with the BSR maps showing a warm front lifting northward into the lower OV with a cold front on it's heels.

TAO_5Day_EQ_xz_Anom_Comp gif  783×979 .png

RRWT   Consonant Chaos.png

18_0408 12 gif  800×509 .png

• Like 2

• Mr Bob locked this topic