• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

NorthArlington101

Jan 8th Ice/Mix/Rain Event

7 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Sidewalks and driveways are definitely dangerous. Gonna be slippery in the morning. Kinda surprised Fairfax only delayed.

@mattie g will be unhappy with this post :lol:

Rain has nearly stopped here, up to 32 degrees.  The high-res RGEM thinks temps will be above freezing for a while, but the GFS, 3k NAM, and RGEM disagree.  If the temperature drops later I'll go out for a walk.

14 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Yeah no doubt. I'm on the very eastern edge. I'm just east of 95 down close to 100.

Ok cool. I’m just west of 95 off 103. Anyway, stay safe. I’m going for a Jebskate soon. ;)

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Sidewalks and driveways are definitely dangerous. Gonna be slippery in the morning. Kinda surprised Fairfax only delayed.

I'm honestly surprised FCPS had the cojones to delay. As @Kingstonian mentioned a few minutes ago, some shaded pavement areas have icy spots in this area, but I've encountered no other slick spots either on roads or sidewalks in SE FfxCo. Temps have risen 4 degrees in past hour or so to 37, and back edge of precip looks to be swinging through shortly. I've no doubt this turned out to be a much icier event from the MD/District line northward, but here it's kind of a nothingburger. I'd be a little ticked, too, if I were mattieg...except my kids have finally escaped the FCPS gulag.

At high for the day of 31.1, good 1/8-1/4 inch of sleet and freezing rain mix on everything and slick, slick, slick out there. Lots of wrecks in county and several roads have been closed. Looks like the precip is starting to slide SE out of here on radar.

Prince George Va schools have not been open since last Wednesday and still closed tomorrow. Got to 45 today and had some light rain, but roads are still covered on the secondary streets here. Ground is very cold and the snow just wants to stay!! 

31 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Ok cool. I’m just west of 95 off 103. Anyway, stay safe. I’m going for a Jebskate soon. ;)

Oh ok. Probably a mile or so from me. You stay safe too. Our street is an ice rink. Feel free to skate here lol.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I'm honestly surprised FCPS had the cojones to delay. As @Kingstonian mentioned a few minutes ago, some shaded pavement areas have icy spots in this area, but I've encountered no other slick spots either on roads or sidewalks in SE FfxCo. Temps have risen 4 degrees in past hour or so to 37, and back edge of precip looks to be swinging through shortly. I've no doubt this turned out to be a much icier event from the MD/District line northward, but here it's kind of a nothingburger. I'd be a little ticked, too, if I were mattieg...except my kids have finally escaped the FCPS gulag.

Definitely bad in the Northern tier of FFX. Cobalt is probably out skating. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Definitely bad in the Northern tier of FFX. Cobalt is probably out skating. 

Oh, I believe it is bad even 5-7 miles to my N & W. I was thinking earlier today (even though we'd be skating in Hades before it were even considered) that FCPS really should be split into two school districts, NW vs. SE. The entire district's delays and closings are typically determined by the worst conditions, the baseline for which is nearly always the far NW corner of the county.

BTW, just ticked back down a degree to 36.

Lots of slick spots in North Bethesda.  Most sidewalks are a skating rink, even the ones that looked like a salt flat this morning.

A few slick spots downtown by Farragut Square, but mostly just wet there.

10 minutes ago, yoda said:

Montgomery, Loudoun, and Prince William all opening two hours late tomorrow 

HoCo just delayed as well. Crazy if they didn’t. 

My 13 year olds just got back from sledding down the driveway. Lol. It's short but fast. Roads are patchy ice. I figured the 8 tons of brine would keep them wet. Nope. I have to say that this event over performed here.