Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 8th Ice/Mix/Rain Event

NorthArlington101

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Usually, we fail mightily at anything close to the 30's with ice. We have temps over freezing this time and everything is icy.

Not sure how close you/we are in Elkridge, but I’ll say it’s definitely treacherous.  I’m sure HoCo will be delayed in the AM. 

I thought we had nothing (everything was just wet when I got home around 6pm), but when I went to take out the trash a few minutes ago I nearly wiped out on my steps.  Cars, roads, even the main sidewalks are fine -- it's just my front steps (that get very little sun) with ice here (SSW Franconia/Kingstowne). 

12 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

30 currently . Got about .3" of snow skeet and frain.

At the daily high of 30.7°F here in Clarksburg right now. Everything, including the Carthage-level salted roads is a sheet of ice. Picked up 0.2” of sleet (and around 20 minutes of graupel) and, looking at the trees and cars, looks like 0.05” of ice accretion. 3 cars in ditches within 100m of the house out on the road. Nice nite out there but not one to be driving or walking unless your name is @Jebman

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Sidewalks and driveways are definitely dangerous. Gonna be slippery in the morning. Kinda surprised Fairfax only delayed.

I'm honestly surprised FCPS had the cojones to delay. As @Kingstonian mentioned a few minutes ago, some shaded pavement areas have icy spots in this area, but I've encountered no other slick spots either on roads or sidewalks in SE FfxCo. Temps have risen 4 degrees in past hour or so to 37, and back edge of precip looks to be swinging through shortly. I've no doubt this turned out to be a much icier event from the MD/District line northward, but here it's kind of a nothingburger. I'd be a little ticked, too, if I were mattieg...except my kids have finally escaped the FCPS gulag.

38 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I'm honestly surprised FCPS had the cojones to delay. As @Kingstonian mentioned a few minutes ago, some shaded pavement areas have icy spots in this area, but I've encountered no other slick spots either on roads or sidewalks in SE FfxCo. Temps have risen 4 degrees in past hour or so to 37, and back edge of precip looks to be swinging through shortly. I've no doubt this turned out to be a much icier event from the MD/District line northward, but here it's kind of a nothingburger. I'd be a little ticked, too, if I were mattieg...except my kids have finally escaped the FCPS gulag.

Definitely bad in the Northern tier of FFX. Cobalt is probably out skating. 

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Definitely bad in the Northern tier of FFX. Cobalt is probably out skating. 

Oh, I believe it is bad even 5-7 miles to my N & W. I was thinking earlier today (even though we'd be skating in Hades before it were even considered) that FCPS really should be split into two school districts, NW vs. SE. The entire district's delays and closings are typically determined by the worst conditions, the baseline for which is nearly always the far NW corner of the county.

BTW, just ticked back down a degree to 36.

Archived