Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 8th Ice/Mix/Rain Event

NorthArlington101

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

Ice events in D.C. are just like high ratio snow events....Unicorns

Absolutely. We get serious ice maybe once or twice a decade. I was pretty young during the ice storms in the 90s but I remember them being pretty prolific. Not a ton IMBY since then - I know east of the cities had a decent one a few years back. 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up on the East side of the Blue Ridge where we got tons of ice storms.  They're beautiful to look at, but absolutely no fun to be out in.  If we do indeed get a glaze, I hope you all are already home safe and sound.  DC traffic ain't ready for even .01 an inch of ice.  Hopefully the salted roads hold up and the rain is light enough to not wash any salt away before trying to freeze.

13 minutes ago, Herb@MAWS said:

9:30am:   A high, more solid overcast ATTM, with the only sky brightness out to the SE-ern horizon.  Every time I look at digital thermometer, it seems to go up a few tenths of a degree -- so, I  guess I need to stop looking!  Currently 17.1 after bottoming out at 12+ overnight.

.... and of course right after posting, the sun starts breaking thru the high overcast  :-(  and temp shoots up to 18.5  :-(  :-(

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

fwiw, my backyard thoughts only, the radar is friskier than I was expecting at this point - looking to the west. It's plenty cold here, especially on surfaces. We could do some ice up this way maybe.

Radar definitely looked really impressive this morning. You would think a significant snow/winter event was on the way but pretty sure a lot of it will die trying to cross the apps. I know we have CAD on our side but funny to see Oakland sitting at 32 this morning after spending a lot of time in the single digits lately.

3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Radar definitely looked really impressive this morning. You would think a significant snow/winter event was on the way but pretty sure a lot of it will die trying to cross the apps. I know we have CAD on our side but funny to see Oakland sitting at 32 this morning after spending a lot of time in the single digits lately.

Wait until the mountains do their trick

12 minutes ago, cae said:

RGEM and GFS keep ice out of DC, but the 3k NAM and GGEM don't.  My money is on the RGEM / GFS combo. 

I can understand Baltimore County closing schools early because of Mappyland. 

Did the southern portion go 3-hours early too? I figured only the Hereford zone would

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Yes, I expect the apps will eat a lot of it, but maybe not all of it. Some of the short terms mesos yesterday were showing basically a shut out, I think. Looking at the radar, I don't think a shutout is likely anymore. But I've underestimated the mountains before, so, maybe.

No doubt there will be slick spots on sidewalks as cold as it has been. The challenge is there is no such thing as rush HOUR anymore...when is there ever a time there aren't a ton of cars on the road? Blah blah I get rural side roads but still

Archived