remaining the more consistent model with respect to strength, track,
and timing of sfc and upper level features although on this latest
cycle the Euro trended drier and faster to move the low out to sea
Wed night. A period of light snow remains possible Tue night through
Wed night with the best chances of accumulating snow over southeast
MD and the eastern shore. Turning brisk on Thu with a warming trend
expected to begin next Fri as heights begin to rise over the eastern
U.S.

Eps precip maps took a noticeable step back in our area from 12z. And looking at total precip on them, I can see why HM was not gung ho for our area even after the 12z run.  Frankly,  everyone needs to lower expectations because this event looks sadly similar to our prior events this winter. 

We could get lucky, but after last week, anybody feeling lucky for snow?

7 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Eps precip maps took a noticeable step back in our area from 12z. And looking at total precip on them, I can see why HM was not gung ho for our area even after the 12z run.  Frankly,  everyone needs to lower expectations because this event looks sadly similar to our prior events this winter. 

It's frustrating but at least this winter isn't like a lot of recent ones where we punt half the winter because of temperatures.

19 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

@showmethesnow is back...good to see ya...mist your input man. Yea..6z had some baby step improvements at h5 for the coastal . That's good enough for me .

Not that I haven't had some interest in the possibilities it's just that I've been somewhat busy the last few days. Been keeping half an eye on the models though. 

21 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I don't think many have high expectations, I think it is more that many can see the possibilities and nothing more.

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

I wasn't in love with the trend towards a weaker slower developing coastal.  Fighting that is harder then seeing it clobber NC and just needing a north trend. I'm not blind to both this years and ninas trends. That's how it becomes another miss to the northeast if that trend continues. I much preferred seeing the heavy stuff to our south vs east and northeast. 

I wasn't in love with the trend towards a weaker slower developing coastal.  Fighting that is harder then seeing it clobber NC and just needing a north trend. I'm not blind to both this years and ninas trends. That's how it becomes another miss to the northeast if that trend continues. I much preferred seeing the heavy stuff to our south vs east and northeast. 
I was trying to tell you that yesterday when I said the 12z euro needed to be even more west. The writing is on the wall. Enjoy your trace

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The overrunning thing doesn't even seem to be that great across guidance. Sure the Euro has something but everything else is an inch or less with the GGEM showing nothing at all. This very easily could end up being a swing and a miss with nothing but a few flurries. What I'm hoping for is to maximize the overrunning and then get some precip thrown back our way from a developing slp. What will probably happen is that the overrunning dies over the mountains and the storm forms to far east and slams the NE. 

27 minutes ago, Ji said:

I was trying to tell you that yesterday when I said the 12z euro needed to be even more west. The writing is on the wall. Enjoy your trace

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think I get what your saying but the problem isn't needing a west trend on the euro. It's that a lot of members develop late so things don't get going until northeast of us. If the euro had trended much more west of the 12z we would rain. 0z shifted east and weaker. Now we need a west trend but I don't need it west of yesterdays 12z run. Stronger quicker development yes. Given the seasonal trend it spooks me when I see it developing late and clobbering New England on some of the guidance. More then seeing it clobber RDU. 

There is still a lot of time here. More shifts will come. Don't read too much into my concerns but I tend to analyze each threat from a "what could go wrong" pov and when I see any trend towards that I cringe. But trends can reverse every run. And none of this even matters if the euro isn't right about the deeper cutoff h5 presentation. If the other guidance is correct then there is no coastal threat anyways. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There is still a lot of time here. More shifts will come. Don't read too much into my concerns but I tend to analyze each threat from a "what could go wrong" pov and when I see any trend towards that I cringe. But trends can reverse every run. And none of this even matters if the euro isn't right about the deeper cutoff h5 presentation. If the other guidance is correct then there is no coastal threat anyways. 

After last week (and certainly if this storm swings northeast), is it not wise to even expect anything for future threats that show up unless we see something that says "This is not likely to go northeast"...Like what would we need to prevent that in this blasted northern stream pattern orchestrated by La Niña? Just incredibly fortunate timing? (how'd we pull 1995-96 off? Lol)

3 hours ago, Scraff said:

Good morning all. 6z GFS gives us a little love Wednesday.  I’ll stick with what the Euro has been selling...

E602B54A-37A3-4AB9-B2CE-4BD7B9E4C185.gif

Looks like close to a lock to get some snow out of the front end part with the big trough moving in... around here you should be thankful for any snow you get. The 500mb has not been great yet really for the coastal.. yesterday 12z Euro looked close to good but like metro we know what that often means.  

12 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

After last week (and certainly if this storm swings northeast), is it not wise to even expect anything for future threats that show up unless we see something that says "This is not likely to go northeast"...Like what would we need to prevent that in this blasted northern stream pattern orchestrated by La Niña? Just incredibly fortunate timing? (how'd we pull 1995-96 off? Lol)

Live by a simple rule- all northern stream systems favor a north trend between the med and short range. Could be nw or ne but that general rule applies to all NS stuff regardless of enso.

However, not all trend unfavorably. If accept that as a hard and fast rule then it will make you look bad over time. You don't need to go all the way back to 95-96 to find success. 14-15 was all north trend until it wasnt. Then it snowed mutiple times over a fairly short period of time. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Live by a simple rule- all northern stream systems favor a north trend between the med and short range. Could be nw or ne but that general rule applies to all NS stuff regardless of enso.

However, not all trend unfavorably. If accept that as a hard and fast rule then it will make you look bad over time. You don't need to go all the way back to 95-96 to find success. 14-15 was all north trend until it wasnt. Then it snowed mutiple times over a fairly short period of time. 

The north trend is usually unbeatable except when storms are south of us. Then it's a flip of a coin at best. ;)  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived