SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ICON and GGEM both develop the coastal now and give eastern NC more snow than they were before.  The ICON still has the overrunning for our area, and the GGEM took a small step in that direction but still gives us very little.

There are still a lot of ways to get snow from this system, and I think that's what the EPS is showing us.  The problem with the GEFS these days is that even if there were a lot of ways to get snow, they might not show up in the ensemble.  I'm a little more concerned about the GEPS.  There's usually better spread in the GEPS, but they haven't looked good for our region in recent runs.

I think light overrunning in our area and a near miss with a coastal is probably the most likely outcome, but of course a lot can change in the next four days.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro and gfs a good bit different @ h5 by hr96. Euro looks much more like the ukie than the gfs. 

Rather you said it looks like the last euro lol. I'm somewhere between you and JI. Ill accept 1-3" but I'm rooting for the coastal. If I get 2"'fine and I'll take it and won't turn it away but I'm not excited for it and not going to waste 5 days tracking it. If it becomes apparent the bigger option is gone I'll probably just come back to it when it's inside 36 hours. Something with legit upside is worth the time tracking. 

13 minutes ago, cae said:

ICON and GGEM both develop the coastal now and give eastern NC more snow than they were before.  The ICON still has the overrunning for our area, and the GGEM took a small step in that direction but still gives us very little.

There are still a lot of ways to get snow from this system, and I think that's what the EPS is showing us.  The problem with the GEFS these days is that even if there were a lot of ways to get snow, they might not show up in the ensemble.  I'm a little more concerned about the GEPS.  There's usually better spread in the GEPS, but they haven't looked good for our region in recent runs.

I think light overrunning in our area and a near miss with a coastal is probably the most likely outcome, but of course a lot can change in the next four days.

Would that "near miss" be too far south, or? (apologies, haven't been following much today)

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Kuchera is widespread 5-7" from the bay all the way to winchester. If Ji complains about this run I may have to out him on ignore. 

This could have just been noise from the last run. EPS will be telling if euro is starting a trend towards the less amped gfs (everything else really) camp or if this run was just part of minor fluctuations the last 3 runs. It's pretty identical to last nights run. 

Navgem might be the most impressive of the non euro runs tonight but the ggem and U.K. At least moved in the right direction. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This could have just been noise from the last run. EPS will be telling if euro is starting a trend towards the less amped gfs (everything else really) camp or if this run was just part of minor fluctuations the last 3 runs. It's pretty identical to last nights run. 

Navgem might be the most impressive of the non euro runs tonight but the ggem and U.K. At least moved in the right direction. 

Yeah, definitely encouraging to see ggem, icon, and navgem start to pop something off the coast tonight when before they hardly had anything. Seems a little suspect that the gfs almost dropped the idea completely with the euro still showing a half decent hit. Euro and navgem on board. We got 2. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

H5 still closes off but not nearly as sweet at 12z. Still much different than the gfs. Not even close. It's a war at d4 leads. Storm is east of 12z but it still tracks right into ME. This is the euro's shot at redemption or more evidence that the upgrade sucks for our area. 

Euro has trolled us but it never held a snowy solution 3 straight runs this close in yet this year so this is a new war here. I'm not saying it's right just this isn't the typical one run tease it's been doing. That said the changes on the gfs were not to my liking. It took a bad step at h5 away from cutting off to our south. Hard to use the gefs to judge its significance given their follow the leader mentality at this range. But things are still close enough with enough lead time left it still has my interest. But i would like to see one other global trend towards a hit tomorrow. Doesn't have to be a hit verbatim but trend towards one and get close. Probably won't be the gfs. Right or wrong it's stubborn when it does this. It's either right or it goes down with the ship.  

1 minute ago, MD Snow said:

Yeah, definitely encouraging to see ggem, icon, and navgem start to pop something off the coast tonight when before they hardly had anything. Seems a little suspect that the gfs almost dropped the idea completely with the euro still showing a half decent hit. Euro and navgem on board. We got 2. 

The guidance is having a hell of a time. I'm noticing their moving some of the ancilary pieces around hundreds of miles run to run. Vorts and that kicker are way off each run. Our system is mostly dependent on the trough alignment and depth and that's a larger feature so models aren't as jumpy with it but still their really having an issue right now at range 

The last 2 0z euro runs are very similar and the one in between had the upside. Euro is pretty good with h5 from d4 in so I'd be lying if I wasn't biting a little. The euro is a continous event but it's 2 separate synoptic pieces. The first one would still be a 1-3" deal even if the coastal kicks east. We obviously need the coastal to get a warning level event but a total shutout keeps getting less likely. Not a bad place to be with pretty good chances at a couple inches and close to warning level stuff. 

I won't be disappointed we get 1-3. This isn't a winter for that type of stuff. Every inch is going to be a fight. If I lived on the eastern shore were I've already had 12"+ I might think different. My 4.5" total that took 3 events to get is pretty sad. That and I need to crack 6" to beat last year...talk about sad. 

55 minutes ago, yoda said:

I wish the NAVGEM wasn't so terrible to find correct hours for the system to affect our region on TT, but the h5 maps from the 00z run at 120 and 126 looked very much like what the 12z Euro had

We get a light event from the front but the coastal develops too far off the coast but then hooks in and clobbers New England. It looks like what i suspect HM was thinking. Lol

Overnight EPS took a small step back from the 12Z run for the possible coastal (Wed/Thur). Now the question is, is this a trend or possibly something else?

I have noticed over the years that the models tend to mirror their previous hour runs (current 00z to prior 00z, current 12z to prior 12z, etc...) with some of the very minor details that can have an impact on sensible weather for our region. Have a theory on that but won't bore you with the details. So what we may have seen with the overnight run is a hangover from the previous nights run, where one or two small minute details that the 12z runs have different, is impacting the overall forecast. So in a nutshell, let's see how todays 12Z run stacks up against yesterdays 12Z before we start jumping to conclusions. If it holds par to its prior 12Z run then we are still very much in the game otherwise we are probably seeing a trend that will take the coastal off the table.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived