Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That's not a great pass at 500 for us...need that about 100 miles south or else there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.  Better for it to pass along the I-64 corridor.

Yeah?  Looks decent to me but I'll take your word for it.

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The big storms in the KU books that give the "classic" DC snow show the 500 energy transfer from CHO to OXB.  This is broader and closer to DC itself...good for the climo areas but dicey for the rest.

But I don't think anyone in here is looking at this potential to be a KU level event.  A possibly solid, moderate event, sure.  And most are looking at the trends which have been favorable for the most part.

I will agree, if we wanted a classic HECS you'd want the 500 low a bit more southwest.

23 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Same here, though I don't actually know the liquid equivalent I got where I'm at.  I got the same amount of snow that you did...and it was Hugh Jass flakes nearly all day long piling up with whiteout conditions.

My favorite storm ever. I actually ended up with somewhere between 25-30" but it was hard to tell with drifting. But a foot came on the back edge from those bands all through the day and it was barely any qpf. I melted the last 12" down to only .35". That storm had everything. The night before a convective band formed up here that put down a foot in only 4 hours. Heavy wet snow. Then a lull until the upper low sparked redevelopment then heavy fluffy snow all day. Was way more then forecasted here. When it was over the snow depth up here was like nothing I've ever seen. 

13 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That's not a great pass at 500 for us...need that about 100 miles south or else there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.  Better for it to pass along the I-64 corridor.

I disagree in this case. Look at the ridging to our NE. If h5 closes off too early and too far SW it could back flow and rain on us... Kinda like what happens to SE Mass. 

The euro is a mini version of the 1-2 punches we get sometimes. Like PD2, Jan 2011, and of course Feb 2010. First overunning sets up and snows. Then a lull before a wave turns into an organized coastal. That part is WAA followed by cold ULL fluff. Again, it's a mini version but the run verbatim reminds me very much of some of those longer duration storms that provide very memorable results. A tracker's dream in many ways...

Just now, Bob Chill said:

The euro is a mini version of the 1-2 punches we get sometimes. Like PD2, Jan 2011, and of course Feb 2010. First overunning sets up and snows. Then a lull before a wave turns into an organized coastal. That part is WAA followed by cold ULL fluff. Again, it's a mini version but the run verbatim reminds me very much of some of those longer duration storms that provide very memorable results. A tracker's dream in many ways...

Would you mind providing a timeline when the snow starts and ends based on the latest model runs? Also is there any chance this becomes a Thursday - Friday event?

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Agreed... I also like how its 5-6 days away and not 9-10 days away (if it does come true) so it should be in the Euro's wheelhouse.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

My favorite storm ever. I actually ended up with somewhere between 25-30" but it was hard to tell with drifting. But a foot came on the back edge from those bands all through the day and it was barely any qpf. I melted the last 12" down to only .35". That storm had everything. The night before a convective band formed up here that put down a foot in only 4 hours. Heavy wet snow. Then a lull until the upper low sparked redevelopment then heavy fluffy snow all day. Was way more then forecasted here. When it was over the snow depth up here was like nothing I've ever seen. 

Yup.  I'm not sure if it was necessarily my favorite event that year (but close!)...but that one photo is my favorite.  Where I'm at, we got maybe a couple inches the evening of the 9th, then sleet and freezing drizzle.  I wasn't following a whole lot of what the upper levels were doing or what might be yet to come, and I recall going to bed thinking "oh my, this might be a bust!"  Woke up the next day around 7AM and had to do a double-take, because it was a complete white-out.  Very hard to measure.  I got perhaps 10-12" as best I could estimate from the snow that fell on the 10th.

15 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It digs to our SW then passes NE across our area. It's fine. If it got to that spot from the NW and was just closing off there I'd agree but this run is good at h5. The good snows start well to our southwest. It's not close to a miss on this run. I'm only analyzing this run.

1 minute ago, usedtobe said:

I wrote something for CWG, not sure if it will be used because of how late it is in the day. 

It's an interesting setup Wes. We can only hope the euro has it "mostly" right. I don't want any more amp to our south or I'll start worrying about ptype....too much of a good thing can turn into a lot of bad things...

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

It digs to our SW then passes NE across our area. It's fine. If it got to that spot from the NW and was just closing off there I'd agree but this run is good at h5. The good snows start well to our southwest. It's not close to a miss on this run. I'm only analyzing this run.

Okay I'll buy that.  

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Take a look at the mid levels around MA/CT. Heh, the euro is beautiful here. We're one shift away from a really big storm and 2 shifts away from things I'd rather not talk about. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's an interesting setup Wes. We can only hope the euro has it "mostly" right. I don't want any more amp to our south or I'll start worrying about ptype....too much of a good thing can turn into a lot of bad things...

I think it interesting how similar the GFS and Euro are at 500 and how different the results.  That's most of what I mentioned in my quick piece that may or may not end up being published.  The two differences are where the low get going and whether a coastal trough sets up like on the Euro.  Looking at the GFS 500, I was surprised that it did not give us anything except on Tuesday. 

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

Could you lay out what we want to happen to get a better result?  

Identical track and progression with what the euro just put out but a more developed coastal as it passes our latitude so we get hit hard with the comma/CCB. That and more overrunning in advance. Add those 2 things and we all get 12"+. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived