Newest Member
    Dano62
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bob Chill said:

It's not quite what we want but it's easy to see what the gfs is trying to do.... I'm totally good with the run. It's like 2 small shifts away from a wave running the boundary overhead. 

It’s a clear move toward the euro solution. No doubt.

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

That's not it. The stuff going on to our south is what to watch. I don't think this runs gonna do it but it's closer. 

it does turn into a dry front, but the GFS just takes its time getting the vort involved

yes, it's a decent run and at least encouraging that the Euro wasn't on its own

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If you want to find a reason that the GFS sucks it's easy. If you want to see a reason that it's actually a really good run then you need to step away from the surface panels and look what's happening @ 18k feet overhead. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That's not it. The stuff going on to our south is what to watch. I don't think this runs gonna do it but it's closer. 

You're (both) referring to the energy to the south, along the MS/AL border, correct?  If so, then yes...that's definitely farther west ("hung back") more than previous runs, and it's more separated from the northern stream energy.

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

You're (both) referring to the energy to the south, along the MS/AL border, correct?  If so, then yes...that's definitely farther west ("hung back") more than previous runs, and it's more separated from the northern stream energy.

It's the entire progression. It's morphing completely away from a northern stream bowling ball to a crawling + tilt trough that sloooowly turns neutral then neg to our south. The entire setup is basically completely different than what we first thought it was going to be. And the trend has been to a much better chance at a real event here. 

The ultimate solution is a slow moving overrunning event followed by an organized wave. Ji just said it perfectly....not far from a 6-12" event that stretches out over 48 hours...

GFS took a step towards where the GGEM was last night, with dry air in the SE choking off the overrunning moisture before it can get to us.  Congrats NC.

GGEM took a step toward the GFS and cut back on the dry air, but not by enough.  If the 00z Euro was the best of both worlds, then the 12z GGEM is the worst.  Too dry for the overrunning event, and then the coastal forms too far north to have much of an impact here.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's the entire progression. It's morphing completely away from a northern stream bowling ball to a crawling + tilt trough that sloooowly turns neutral then neg to our south. The entire setup is basically completely different than what we first thought it was going to be. And the trend has been to a much better chance at a real event here. 

The ultimate solution is a slow moving overrunning event followed by an organized wave. Ji just said it perfectly....not far from a 6-12" event that stretches out over 48 hours...

OK, I flipped back through more than a couple or three cycles (shoulda done that before, haha!), and see exactly what you're talking about.  I had only mentioned part of the idea, but now looking farther back than yesterday it's very clear how the bowling ball idea changes into something totally different as you and PSU were mentioning.  That is getting close to...something.  Whether it can work out, who knows, but at least it's still got time.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The GFS over squashes the southern disturbance between hours 105-120 or so. That cold push across TN/MS/AL/GA likely won’t be as strong as the GFS advertises.  So that whole setup will evolve more amplified 

My thinking. I'm excited because when this looked like an all northern steam miller b that was a fail waiting to happen here. This setup is a way we often win. Doesn't mean we will this time but the trends we're rooting for now actually play along with typical bias error instead of needing things that fly in the face of typical errors. I'm way more optimistic where we are now then 24 hours ago. 

1 minute ago, Ji said:

its really nothing close the gfs but the GGEM is the most progressive model according to weenie rule 4331

They diverge around hour 120.  Up to then they're similar though.  After 120 the GFS looks at lot more like the 00z Euro, except it sends the surface low OTS instead of up the coast.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Last 4 runs of the gfs. Same time. Speaks for itself, you can see where it's heading. 

blob:https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/a7c71749-a8b7-467e-9f1d-786f7c63f969

many of our great storms started off as central NC/Southern Virgnia storms. Even the blizzard of 96

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived