Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Gfs still doesn't want to dig enough next week. The trough is closing off to our northwest and so the surface turns the corner west of us and not even digs to our latitude. 

On the upside it is seeming more energetic as we get closer so if we can get a better track it could be something. 

Yeah, looks like it *tries* to perhaps dig a bit more energy to the southwest compared to earlier cycles, but it still closes off the main low in Ohio.  Definitely appears more energetic as you say, I was a bit surprised how much precip (snow) it squeezes out for us.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

GFS tries a little harder for next week with a stronger shortwave, but still would like to see it dig farther south. But does give the metro areas and points east a decent light event.

Yea the energy improved but track didn't. I'm confident the system will trend wetter in the short range but I'm worried about track. We just need a bit more dig but in my experience that runs contrary to usual trends from this range 

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, looks like it *tries* to perhaps dig a bit more energy to the southwest compared to earlier cycles, but it still closes off the main low in Ohio.  Definitely appears more energetic as you say, I was a bit surprised how much precip (snow) it squeezes out for us.

Decent upper jet produces a nice area of lift over our region. This will probably evolve.

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea the energy improved but track didn't. I'm confident the system will trend wetter in the short range but I'm worried about track. We just need a bit more dig but in my experience that runs contrary to usual trends from this range 

This year is different. The WAR and developing -NAO with more amplification upstream in the PNA region *should* counter the "usual trends" with this one. More space to develop farther S imho. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

If the trend toward flatter shortwaves continues, this probably doesn’t end well for us. That said, seems that trend is maybe over given the 4th and this weeks storms.

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

The more energy is not shocking. That happens a lot with these discreet vorts as we get closer.  Models won't judge them well from range so there is at least a 50/50 shot they end up stronger as we get in range. 

Im more worried about track. Needing a south trend is not usually where I like to be on these. I do think this becomes a legit event somewhere but my fear is without a deeper dig in the trough that somewhere will be northeast of us. It's close though so worth watching. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The more energy is not shocking. That happens a lot with these discreet vorts as we get closer.  Models won't judge them well from range so there is at least a 50/50 shot they end up stronger as we get in range. 

Im more worried about track. Needing a south trend is not usually where I like to be on these. I do think this becomes a legit event somewhere but my fear is without a deeper dig in the trough that somewhere will be northeast of us. It's close though so worth watching. 

Oh, I totally agree.  Like you were saying, we don't want it to pop the low east/northeast of here, we need it to dig more.  Which of course is a bit of a long shot around these parts with most northern-stream dominated systems.  But this definitely bears watching.  Flipping through previous cycles, I did see the ridging to the west of the system of interest appears to orient more southwest/northeast up in Canada, as opposed to nearly north/south.  No idea if that's anything worth looking at, or if it's just the effect of the more energetic wave ahead of it.

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

In other words what the GGEM does.

Lol yea the ggem is a train wreck. Gfs was close to something good. Ggem is not. Hopefully the rest is in the gfs or better camp. Ggem is way flatter and doesn't dig the trough nearly as much. Surface accordingly is up over the lakes at the same time it's in central Indiana into Ohio on the gfs. Ggem has been pretty bad when it showed snow all winter watch it nail this one. At least it rains on NYC and Boston. 

22 minutes ago, Scraff said:

GFS not half bad for next week. Plenty of time to get better though. A few inches for everyone...

Eta: Just need a few more stretchy boobs. :lol:

Depends where you are. It completely screws those of us to west again. Not only with the Saturday system but the midweek one as well. It would make sense with the overall trend this winter though so it is probably right.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Depends where you are. It completely screws those of us to west again. Not only with the Saturday system but the midweek one as well. It would make sense with the overall trend this winter though so it is probably right.

Northern stream miller b storms are not friendly to your area. Even the handful of decent hits I found mostly left your area dry or with an inch at most. The downslope is going to kill the moisture from the primary and even if we get a better dig and a surface system to pop southeast of us the developing precip sheild from that almost always starts east of the blue ridge. There are exceptions but that's 90%. If I was out there I would write this off and then be ecstatic if by some miracle it worked out. I hate being the bad news btw you guys are having a really bad run there. All I can say is I hope it turns soon. But I don't think it's this week. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Northern stream miller b storms are not friendly to your area. Even the handful of decent hits I found mostly left your area dry or with an inch at most. The downslope is going to kill the moisture from the primary and even if we get a better dig and a surface system to pop southeast of us the developing precip sheild from that almost always starts east of the blue ridge. There are exceptions but that's 90%. If I was out there I would write this off and then be ecstatic if by some miracle it worked out. I hate being the bad news btw you guys are having a really bad run there. All I can say is I hope it turns soon. But I don't think it's this week. 

Yep agree with everything you say here. We need the southern stream to be active out here. Or a Mauler in the northern stream to score. We usually do better than east of us simply because of elevation. While the east is scoring rain we are snowing a lot of the time. There is still plenty of winter left. But the trends this year and last have not been good for far west of town.

The PAC sucks. But there will be windows where something could happen given the look up top on all the guidance. Tha gfs run shows how. It missed the boat but if we get tighter spacing between waves there is a short transient opportunity as each system lifts for something to be forced under behind it. Looking at this panel it could have worked if something followed closer. Even still if we get a weak wave it could slide under given the blocking. 

IMG_3620.thumb.PNG.0bca860904ed3409551d45be173b3ff6.PNG

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If this year has taught us anything, it's not to overthink midrange stuff. I don't like the approach but that's the last couple days. The real days that matter are still down the road a piece. 

The models have been jumpy with stuff past day 7. But I feel like they have been ok inside there. Once they lost the fake stj idea they were right that the clipper in late December was all there was and they were ok with track. They were ok on focusing on a threat for the immediate coast with the 4th. They washed out the last system and showed a light ice event from 5 days. And the cutter tomorrow has been modeled ok. They head faked Ohio with a couple amped up runs but for the most part they had the right idea. I think because we aren't getting what we want we're grading them worse. They had one epic tease fail but since then they haven't put us in line for a hit or teased. They showed dry and it was. Now past 7 days they have been awful.

This next threat is getting into the range I think we can start to get a feel for what we're dealing with.  I agree it will change. If the trough trends sharper with more dig we could be ok. If it trends flatter and north it's a fail. 

When looking at a bunch of these types of systems something I noticed was the trough orientation on approach mattered as much as the depth. We really want a sharper trough like the euro had. The broad ones coming down tended to be fails even with a decent h5 low track. The sharper troughs tended to at least get some snow even with a worse h5 low pass. 

9 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Look at the difference between SREF and GFS

sref_namer_087_snow_total_mean.gif

gfs_namer_087_snodpth_chng.gif

I imagine SREF would do better in this situation 

Don’t agree. SREF out of range.  GFS is tough to beat close in.  And the NS idea hasn’t been settled yet. Sunday night maybe.  

I’ve never before seen an actual storm do what the 12Z CMC does.  We almost never rain in those unless there is some sort of late transferring lakes low.  Usually it’s either a miss or we get hit with snow.  So I would say you guys are still in business down there since the CMC scenario isn’t something that’s really even seen at all where a low develops like that and tracks that far in 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived