joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You all can beat yourselves up over that Saturday cutter. But I'm still watching this for a possibly wave not showing up after it. The setup is there and it's not way out. A slightly stronger vort or more separation and something could easily end up here. After that there is a chance for the next vort diving in mid next week. After that we warm again for a few days. But if the worst we have to endure from the warm period is a few days if alternating warm/cold with some threats mixed in I can live with that. 

IMG_3597.thumb.PNG.033154d75fea4d4c998489cd4c9da577.PNGIMG_3598.thumb.PNG.b74fec5c12f7de3a2fcf0d040fdf09db.PNG

3 hours ago, mappy said:

I guess that March storm last year didn't verify for most people, since we all got sleeted on. 

Don't think this is correct, IIRC.........March 13-14 2017 (the PSU storm he identified from a week or more out) had about 10" for PSU and we got about 7" here mostly snow.

Pretty sure it was a progged to be a warning event area wide but warm nose turned it into a sleet fest east of I95 -- which for practical purposes makes it a bust (non-legit WSW event).

Definitely agree that one the primary drivers to the higher level of frustration we're seeing this year is the sheer length of time since we've had a good clean WSW snow around here.

2 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

Don't think this is correct, IIRC.........March 13-14 2017 (the PSU storm he identified from a week or more out) had about 10" for PSU and we got about 7" here mostly snow.

Pretty sure it was a progged to be a warning event area wide but warm nose turned it into a sleet fest east of I95 -- which for practical purposes makes it a bust (non-legit WSW event).

Definitely agree that one the primary drivers to the higher level of frustration we're seeing this year is the sheer length of time since we've had a good clean WSW snow around here.

absolutely.  this would ease much pain in weenie minds.

I'm goint to start wearing a cup when watching model runs.....

1 minute ago, Ji said:

GFS shows nothing. Bobs promised digital snow is nowhere to be found. Even the canadien which gives us snow in August has nothing.....complete disaster at Noon again

next week looks good down your way..........

drops keyboard.......runs for the door......

1 minute ago, Ji said:

GFS shows nothing. Bobs promised digital snow is nowhere to be found. Even the canadien which gives us snow in August has nothing.....complete disaster at Noon again

Stay strong Ji -- remember this is the year where only sub-48hr storms trend in our favor and verify.

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You all can beat yourselves up over that Saturday cutter. But I'm still watching this for a possibly wave not showing up after it. The setup is there and it's not way out. A slightly stronger vort or more separation and something could easily end up here. After that there is a chance for the next vort diving in mid next week. After that we warm again for a few days. But if the worst we have to endure from the warm period is a few days if alternating warm/cold with some threats mixed in I can live with that. 

Yeah, that caught my eye as well. Still very little surface reflection, but more on the 12z GFS than any run before. That vort pass should be doing more at the surface than what it shows I’d think. Especially if the boundary can hang up to our south and east.

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

Dude, it showed an inverted trough flurry fest. Come on man. Give me some credit. IVTs are easy to lock in @ 180 hours too. We're good. 

13 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

Deep Thunder is my model of choice at this point. GFS and EURO have been woeful. IBM makes deep thunder which makes it that much more credible.

You failed me last week. 

9 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

NE Balti Zen was very specific. Area wide, which includes EVERYONE, more specifically, the beltway areas. Last event to verify with area wide warning level snows was Jan 2016 blizzard. 

yes, the March 2017 verified in SOME spots. So did the two Feb events in 2017 (one north, one south) but it was not area wide warning level snows. 

11 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

also

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/pnsmap?type=snow&date=20170314&option=snow

Manchester = 7"

Berryville = 3.4" 

Just now, Ji said:

This is a more expensive painful version of 01-02. Can't even send my kids out to sled on snow days. Wanna know why??? BECAUSE THERE IS NO SNOW. THAT'S WHY

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Come on. I can't imagine that your children would want to do anything but spend all their time with you. :yikes:

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

This is a more expensive painful version of 01-02. Can't even send my kids out to sled on snow days. Wanna know why??? BECAUSE THERE IS NO SNOW. THAT'S WHY

My gas bill was $12 last month

14 minutes ago, Ji said:

OK.  We get it, Ji.  If it's not showing February 2010, then it's the absolute worst model run of our lives!  Crikey!

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The good news is the gfs reverts back to the early Jan base state d12+. The bad news is that base state sucked for snow here. 

I still believe we need a substantial thaw (as in 10-14 days) to clear the table. If not, we're going to need the atmosphere to act differently with the same base state. It can happen,  but I prefer an impressive thaw first. Jmho.

7 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I still believe we need a substantial thaw (as in 10-14 days) to clear the table. If not, we're going to need the atmosphere to act differently with the same base state. It can happen,  but I prefer an impressive thaw first. Jmho.

Delaying this thaw period (as the GEFS/EPS keep showing) and shortening it is probably a bad thing here. No way we can hope for a thaw to flip patterns come February, because by the time that thaw is done, we're already staring at Spring

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived