Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

21 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Got room for one more ..lol . Anyway...Gfs has a nice 6 day stretch ( again) of below freezing highs coming and plenty of vort energy constantly rotating thru - excellent chance imo of something popping in the medium short range. and it's not storm squashing cold like last time ...our odds have to be pretty decent to score at least a light to mod event by day 10. 

Bring the beer and I think we can squeeze another person in. ;)

Still thinking we will at least see a fantasy snow storm or two through that period but whether that translates to reality is another story.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, H2O said:

now I am sad.  I thought that having to go to get my cable TV boxes was enough to make me sad but this takes the cake.  Bama winning didn't make me sad.  Having a hangnail didn't make me sad. Not having any consonants in Words with Friends didn't make me sad.

This made me sad.

I think my role on this board is to help properly quantify and measure sadness. We are rapidly approaching the two year and one month stretch from Feb '11 to  March '13 that BobC referenced in the panic thread for fallow periods between warning level events. It explains some of the frustration people are feeling anyway.

9 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yeah - I'm not counting that one for me with regard to snowfall - but I could see where others might take a different position. For me, shoveling snow is where it's at, and I think we have not had a warning level area-wide snow event since the '16 storm/blizzard.

Looking at GIS data now for warnings:

Feb 15/16 failed, at least up here. Southern areas cashed in

Feb 9 verified for far northern areas

then the Jan 2016 blizzard

so yes, looks like thats the last verified area wide warning event we have had. 

It is good to see an active pattern upcoming on the models. This mornings GFS run is very close to something nice out here this weekend. Seems to be trending in a better direction at least. Everything this year and 13/14 was timing based. And it hasnt worked out for the Shenandoah Valley so far this winter. Maybe this one is our chance.

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It is good to see an active pattern upcoming on the models. This mornings GFS run is very close to something nice out here this weekend. Seems to be trending in a better direction at least. Everything this year and 13/14 was timing based. And it hasnt worked out for the Shenandoah Valley so far this winter. Maybe this one is our chance.

Yeah, it looks like a much more active pattern coming up, and while we may lose some, we also may score some.  

16 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah, it looks like a much more active pattern coming up, and while we may lose some, we also may score some.  

Not writing off weekend just yet. A little more dig and further SE with that dig at h5 could make a difference for some.  Long shot but everything seems that way.  

40 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah I think that Winchester back through Canaan has a chance of accumulation after a changeover.  The only problem is the Euro/EPS are well NW of the GFS.

6 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah I think that Winchester back through Canaan has a chance of accumulation after a changeover.  The only problem is the Euro/EPS are well NW of the GFS.

You have been following along this winter, so I'd use short term memory when using the Euro/EPS as a benchmark for your thinking.  Furthermore, while the EPS is NW of GEPS/GEFS, it is not markedly so.  IMO Euro will (just like last storm), trend towards the GFS (although I'm not suggesting the GFS is on point either).  Just the way its been going this year.

Just now, pasnownut said:

You have been following along this winter, so I'd use short term memory when using the Euro/EPS as a benchmark for your thinking.  Furthermore, while the EPS is NW of GEPS/GEFS, it is not markedly so.  IMO Euro will (just like last storm), trend towards the GFS (although I'm not suggesting the GFS is on point either).  Just the way its been going this year.

Yeah I hope, it would be cool for the western burbs to cash in on something. 

3 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah I hope, it would be cool for the western burbs to cash in on something. 

Sure would.  Western locals are really due.  This storm seems to have eyes for them.  Will be interesting to see what the next day or so of model hugging shows :)

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Everyone's favorite Deep Thunder model is SE more...decent backside snow I-95 west Saturday.

lol.  i saw that the other week.  What in the sam hill is that model and is it really going to be incorporated into future model suit for consideration?

Just now, osfan24 said:

What? That thing jumps around like crazy and had us pegged for like 6 inches of snow the day before the event. Deep Thunder is like an upgraded RPM, in my mind.

IIRC, it verified great for NYC (showed appropriate amounts for NYC which ended up correct). Naso much for DC like you said.

1 minute ago, Ji said:

this looks like a great storm for Ohio. Not fair. One storm too east...one storm west....WHEN IS IT OUR TURN???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

We need to have storms go too far North and too far South first

1 minute ago, Ji said:

this looks like a great storm for Ohio. Not fair. One storm too east...one storm west....WHEN IS IT OUR TURN???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hugs

10 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

What? That thing jumps around like crazy and had us pegged for like 6 inches of snow the day before the event. Deep Thunder is like an upgraded RPM, in my mind.

To be fair we have no idea how it's doing because all models jump run to run some but when we see all the info we can judge which was best overall. We only see the deep thunder when someone posts (usually a weenie) run. I'm not saying it's doing well just that judging it based on a random run or two listed by snow weenies like Burk is a bad method. 

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

the one after the one that follows this weekends events...

is the one to watch

I can feel it

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived