SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The January 7-8th possible CAD storm

mackerel_sky

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully temps will be in the mid 40s and increasing before any drizzle late Monday. I can’t believe we go to the 60s as early as Tuesday. Monday night is going to be a torch, 30+ degrees warmer for some areas compared to recent. I do see the concern because of frozen surfaces, briefly. I think the setup for fog across many areas may be of greater interest. 

6 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

And more surpressed. This storm is a goner and has no model support anymore. Why make a thread for a possible light icing to rain event? 

This run had more ice over WNC than the past 4 runs of euro combined. Check the maps before you post something that’s not true 

2 hours ago, SN_Lover said:

And more surpressed. This storm is a goner and has no model support anymore. Why make a thread for a possible light icing to rain event? 

This is still very much a possible threat for ATL and others.  As others have said the potential is here for a big mess on roadways.  Light icing events can be just awful on roads.  

1 hour ago, Upstate Tiger said:

Very surprised to see NC DOT on Hwy 150 this afternoon treating the road between Lincolnton and Cherryville.  However, light freezing rain events wreak more havoc on the roads than heavy events. 

The very light event last Sunday in this neck of the woods certainly created numerous accidents.

21 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Light freezing rain that sticks on the road is just as slick as heavy freezing rain that sticks on the road.

Eh,  what about latent heat released from heavy rain versus light?  I think ice accretes better with a light continuous rain instead of a bunch at once.  

15 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Eh,  what about latent heat released from heavy rain versus light?  I think ice accretes better with a light continuous rain instead of a bunch at once.  

Yep.  During the ice storms in 2004 and 2005 the heavy freezin rain brought down power lines and trees but I had no issues getting around on the roads.  The roads were wet but not icy.  However, I remember a very light freezing rain event in Dec of 2010 that wasn’t forecast and it caused all kinds of accidents. I remember pulling into the parking lot at work and doing a 360. 

7 hours ago, drfranklin said:

at 48, the GFS looks stout; thereafter, things fall apart - convective losses? extreme dry air/low DP?

Probably both, the air is really dry. The models have not been as dry today as they were the last couple of days! Sometimes models show precip drying up a little too soon. There could be other things at play that can't be seen, like light drizzle from the SE/S southerly flow. Just a nowcasting 

5 hours ago, Clemsonlady said:

They are treating roads already in upstate SC....must have a surplus of salt and brine and see no future for us this winter!

Same here in Belmont, NC (aka Gaston County). They have REALLY stepped up laying down the salt & brine today. The roads are totally treated. Hmmm....

Archived