Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The January 7-8th possible CAD storm

mackerel_sky

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's almost unbelievable! After probably the coldest and longest lasting arctic wave that I can remember in North Carolina, our temperatures shoot up JUST before the first sign of any precipitation arrives.  I was hoping for wet bulb temperatures below freezing to help turn this into something, but with temperatures soaring up quickly past the freezing mark in Asheville, it seems unlikely at this point, except for areas outside of the mountains, where the least amount of precipitation is forecast to reach the ground:(.  Interestingly, temperatures on the East side of Asheville are in the mid-30s while they remain in the upper-20s on the West side.

1 minute ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

CAD events are usually a no go for the mountains. Works for those just easy of blue ridge. 

Yep, seen it many, many times over the years. The higher elevations will be well above freezing while we get rain and temps in the upper 20's to around 30 degrees. Not saying that this will end up that way. Just giving folks an idea of how our damming sets up.

5 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Yep, seen it many, many times over the years. The higher elevations will be well above freezing while we get rain and temps in the upper 20's to around 30 degrees. Not saying that this will end up that way. Just giving folks an idea of how our damming sets up.

Yep, it's definitely hit or miss (mostly miss) for the the mountains in CAD scenarios . I think I was just surprised at how fast the colder air was pushed out of Boone specifically. The town is more or less a high elevation valley. 

Yesterday I thought precip would wait until a little after lunch time in the piedmont near winston, now it may way till sunset! Oops. Probably before 2pm for most of the mountains and closer to 4pm foothills. This will allow additional heating because of anemic returns running into the mountains. 

Archived