Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The January 7-8th possible CAD storm

mackerel_sky

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, drfranklin said:

seeing a streak/finger of precip moving into GA - virga?

Yeah, I would guess that is most likely virga. Due points are way too low for anything to reach the ground. It will probably be a few hours before we see any precip falling from the sky in West Georgia. 

16 minutes ago, NYweatherguy said:

Yeah, I would guess that is most likely virga. Due points are way too low for anything to reach the ground. It will probably be a few hours before we see any precip falling from the sky in West Georgia. 

The verdict should be in by 2-3am.  The RGEM/12K NAM both have a good handle on that precip as of 05Z in WRN AL.  They both progress it slowwwwwly through AL in the nect 6-8 hours.  We will see at 3am if that is correct or not.  That tells the story downstream most likely

Schools closed in Catawba County this morning, as well, but precipitation is probably several hours away from arrival.  However, if drizzle sets in earlier than anticipated, the roads could become quite a mess with the frigid antecedent conditions.  I'm okay with the systems proactively closing the schools in order to prevent any possibilities of school-related traffic accidents, even if nothing were to materialize at all today.

2 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

So why did they close schools? What a joke. 

This will be our 3rd snow day closing! ( first two were hurricane) There goes some of spring break or other random days they take away. After the three days, others can be excused, so for all the other snow days we have in our future, can be excused. 28/8 sun peaking out

7 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

So why did they close schools? What a joke. 

School systems are terrified of having buses out while freezing precipitation is coming down, whether it actually affects roads or not.  It seems silly, but that is pretty much why.  Also, with the storm in December, our buses were still out at 6:30 pm.  Central office probably got lambasted for it and they severely underestimated the precip we got.

3 minutes ago, wxslug said:

School systems are terrified of having buses out while freezing precipitation is coming down, whether it actually affects roads or not.  It seems silly, but that is pretty much why.  Also, with the storm in December, our buses were still out at 6:30 pm.  Central office probably got lambasted for it and they severely underestimated the precip we got.

Our county had 9 buses stranded and 4 wrecks during the December storm.  With this storm the cold weather has made this potential event so tricky.  Anything more than a few drops will cause slick conditions.  If there's a winter weather advisory issued, the schools should just not be in session during those hours.

13 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Schools closed in Catawba County this morning, as well, but precipitation is probably several hours away from arrival.  However, if drizzle sets in earlier than anticipated, the roads could become quite a mess with the frigid antecedent conditions.  I'm okay with the systems proactively closing the schools in order to prevent any possibilities of school-related traffic accidents, even if nothing were to materialize at all today.

It's not a bad call given what happened in the mountains on NYE.

2 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

Our county had 9 buses stranded and 4 wrecks during the December storm.  With this storm the cold weather has made this potential event so tricky.  Anything more than a few drops will cause slick conditions.  If there's a winter weather advisory issued, the schools should just not be in session during those hours.

Oh, I get the why of it.  I actually work in the school system and we're looking at an 11:45 release today.  I was honestly surprised we even went today.  It's better to be safe than sorry.  Anyway, sorry for the banter posts.  I've been enjoying you guys' work for years now, so back to my lurking I go!

24 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

This will be our 3rd snow day closing! ( first two were hurricane) There goes some of spring break or other random days they take away. After the three days, others can be excused, so for all the other snow days we have in our future, can be excused. 28/8 sun peaking out

The General Assembly will forgive the days like they always do. 

4 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

The General Assembly will forgive the days like they always do. 

I think the schools did what they had to, they were in an impossible situation here, and they have to err on the side of caution.

Going to be next to impossible to see anything in my area, thin clouds and up to 31, precipitation still hours away. Most of the time we need precipitation to slow down to allow cold in. One of the few times we need precipitation to speed up and it takes FOREVER!:rolleyes:

Archived