Newest Member
    joxey
The January 7-8th possible CAD storm

mackerel_sky

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

They are all wrong! Love how this started as an Ohio obliteration and now it's a Miami mauler!

It's been colder than a witches boobies for two weeks now...burning my electricity bill up to massive numbers. Pricip starts heading this way, it gets suppressed. Then as it begins to warm up, the heavens open up and dump rain on us.

If God has a sense of humor for the Upstate...his joke has to be mackerel_sky!!  LOL  just kidding buddy. I feel your anxiety for snow!!

I missed the one in December for being at my kids house in Mt. Pleasant. And now Mt's Pleasant gets more snow than we have in 2 seasons!

2 minutes ago, Tony Sisk said:

It's been colder than a witches boobies for two weeks now...burning my electricity bill up to massive numbers. Pricip starts heading this way, it gets suppressed. Then as it begins to warm up, the heavens open up and dump rain on us.

If God has a sense of humor for the Upstate...his joke has to be mackerel_sky!!  LOL  just kidding buddy. I feel your anxiety for snow!!

I missed the one in December for being at my kids house in Mt. Pleasant. And now Mt's Pleasant gets more snow than we have in 2 seasons!

It's pretty sad we couldn't score with all this cold around. And I really feel like our winter is over and the thaw is real, and we just won't get the cold back before March. Atleast the stretch of cold is pretty memorable! I've had lowes of 9,10, 12 13,16 in the last 10 days, it's been brutal

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Yep, setting up for a nice rainstorm.

Here's the 54 hr map.  The northern wave is not linking up with but instead, moving SE in tandem with the southern wave, acting to keep it south.

54.thumb.jpg.2843d0d9ed333aa51492797932470ecb.jpg

At 90, the flow turns out of the west/northwest, as the southern vort has dug, cutoff, and is sunbathing on the lovely Panama City Beach.  It doesn't help that the ridge out west is moving rapidly east.  Not a great setup for a widespread winter storm.

90.thumb.jpg.bcebd9fb4bdef661f04cbdf6f1dd602c.jpg

I was looking at the second one at 120 hours.  Nice ms paint work though sir. 

Just now, LithiaWx said:

I was looking at the second one at 120 hours.  Nice ms paint work though sir. 

Thanks! :)

Sorry, I was confusing.  I combined both events into one post.  I continued to elaborate on the suppressed event and also commented on the big bowling ball coming ashore...the one you were talking about.  I made a post about it in the Long Term thread (from the Canadian's perspective).  That model at least makes me interested.  The GFS shows very little hope of anything wintry, and I'm not sure what the Euro is trying to do, but it looks way to warm also.  None of the models have anything other than rain for that storm.  That said, it's a long way out and much can change.  Hopefully, we at least get some rain out of it!

2 hours ago, GunBlade said:

I for one will model hug the NAM until I am blue in the face for the foreseeable future.

I'm going to have a hard time believing any model at this range outside of the NAM after the past storms, especially the 1/3-1/4 storm, until one proves to be more accurate.  

Temperatures here with overriding events like this will always come to nowcasting.  There have been several storms where the day of the HRRR, RAP, etc...move that freezing line north and south of 85 and until it sets up you just don't know where that will be.  So I am not worried about temps until closer to the event. 

For now, will there even be a storm and precip?  I will lean with the NAM's current track and ride it until something shows otherwise.

Pack put the images below of three days out from the last storm and the NAM nearly nailed the low LOCATION. The GFS was bad and Euro horrendous.

N0kb12d.png

Exactly! It's nailed the last few winter storms. Make fun of it all you want to but it has been on the top of it's game lately and is excellent with thermal profiles. If it says you are going to be under a warm nose then you can pretty much kiss your snow goodbye.

11 hours ago, Isopycnic said:

33f and drizzle on frozen ground. Fun times.

That reminds me of something I haven't seen in many years.  We are all aware of the driving warning that bridges and overpasses freeze before roadways. However, the opposite can sometimes occur. I have seen it quite a few times before I moved south. After a stretch of extremely cold temperatures if a cold rain occurs shortly after the temperature rises above freezing the frozen ground will cause the rain to freeze on contact while the bridges and overpasses having warmed to above freezing along with the air remain ice free.

19 minutes ago, jburns said:

That reminds me of something I haven't seen in many years.  We are all aware of the driving warning that bridges and overpasses freeze before roadways. However, the opposite can sometimes occur. I have seen it quite a few times before I moved south. After a stretch of extremely cold temperatures if a cold rain occurs shortly after the temperature rises above freezing the frozen ground will cause the rain to freeze on contact while the bridges and overpasses having warmed to above freezing along with the air remain ice free.

I remember when I was in 9th grade (Durham) we had minor event where it was 33/34 degrees but the rain was freezing on the roads. Caused a lot of accidents. We had a long period of cold weather followed quickly by the light rain.   

41 minutes ago, jburns said:

In NYC several winters ago this occurred and there were a crazy amount of accidents.  It was probably 36-38 degrees

3 hours ago, FallsLake said:

I remember when I was in 9th grade (Durham) we had minor event where it was 33/34 degrees but the rain was freezing on the roads. Caused a lot of accidents. We had a long period of cold weather followed quickly by the light rain.   

It happened Jan 19 2005 in Raleigh. I'll post if I can find it. I left Apex at 1:30 pm and didnt get to Durant rd.middle school till 11:00 to get my daughter.

4 hours ago, FallsLake said:

I remember this. My timing is off but wasn’t after or before the Blizzard of 96?

what once looked like a good thump of snow on the front end early Monday morning went to a mix then freezing rain and now it looks bone dry, if it isn't going to snow I think I rather have warmer weather anyway, maybe after a thaw we'll have something to track in a couple of weeks.

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

GFS looks a little wetter, hmmm. Looks like there is a seperation of a littl blob that crosses TN, NGa, and western Carolinas, as the whims line falls apart, very similar to the NAM

at 48, the GFS looks stout; thereafter, things fall apart - convective losses? extreme dry air/low DP?

1 minute ago, drfranklin said:

at 48, the GFS looks stout; thereafter, things fall apart - convective losses? extreme dry air/low DP?

Probably both, the air is really dry. The models have not been as dry today as they were the last couple of days! Sometimes models show precip drying up a little too soon. There could be other things at play that can't be seen, like light drizzle from the SE/S southerly flow. Just a nowcasting 

Archived