Newest Member
    joxey
The January 7-8th possible CAD storm

mackerel_sky

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

On the GFS, nothing of any consequence(wintery precip) falls east of a line from Wilkesboro to Lenoir to Morganton to Shelby.

The GFS failed miserably with the past 2 winter storms. In fact you could argue it was the worst of all guidance. Not saying its always out to lunch but it is REALLY struggling lately.. When NAM gets in range I think we will know if we have a decent chance of more than a nuisance event

8 minutes ago, NC_WX10 said:

Am I missing something because I'm not seeing this on the pivotal weather maps?

Find hr 90 on tt, 1 to 2 inch shading on clown but I'm sure it's not taking ice into consideration. Biggest different between it and the nam is nam closes wave off and gfs leaves open and is much faster it seems.  

9 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Hr 90 gfs vort is open and snowing good n ga and sc,nc mtns, couple inches down on clown already.

Not sure what you’re looking at, brief ice starts in N GA and part of SC/NC at 84 but definitely not snow and by 90 it’s a cold rain special. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_15.png 

3 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Find hr 90 on tt, 1 to 2 inch shading on clown but I'm sure it's not taking ice into consideration. Biggest different between it and the nam is nam closes wave off and gfs leaves open and is much faster it seems.  

Gotcha thanks. I'm guessing TT is picking up on something the pivotal maps are not?

Not too worried about the gfs  surface temps Monday as they would obviously be too warm if we fully get down to our wetbulbs sunday night/monday morning and there is steady precip monday.... The main question is will there be. Trends this evening are wetter but we will see if that holds. Hard to trust the models much at all these days. 

10 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Here you go

gfs_asnow_us_16.png

That map factors any ice in as snow accumulations, so you’re seeing the actual ice qpf show up as “snow” when it really isn’t. Also when you look at soundings they are very warm aloft over a deep layer. Freezing rain would fall in a sounding like this over N GA.

33EFABFD-CA13-4F4F-AB3D-82A2613D3EE6.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Not too worried about the gfs  surface temps Monday as they would obviously be too warm if we fully get down to our wetbulbs sunday night/monday morning and there is steady precip monday.... The main question is will there be. Trends this evening are wetter but we will see if that holds. Hard to trust the models much at all these days. 

I agree gfs surface temps are laughable when looking at the canadian and euro...but wetter trends this evening? CMC may show warning criteria ice but its like 50% less qpf for much of the Carolinas when I compared the maps. And 12z EURO was dryer compared to 3 previous runs.

24 minutes ago, Lookout said:

These are my thoughts as well regarding temps on Monday, at least in my part of the world. We never seem to have problems holding onto the cold in situations like this. We definitely have problems getting moisture over the mountains though.

7 minutes ago, Red1976Red said:

I agree gfs surface temps are laughable when looking at the canadian and euro...but wetter trends this evening? CMC may show warning criteria ice but its like 50% less qpf for much of the Carolinas when I compared the maps. And 12z EURO was dryer compared to 3 previous runs.

Im referring to monday. A lot of the precip on that prior run falls so late..Monday night... it would be rain. The 0z run is wetter when it would matter. 

26 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

That map factors any ice in as snow accumulations, so you’re seeing the actual ice qpf show up as “snow” when it really isn’t. Also when you look at soundings they are very warm aloft over a deep layer. Freezing rain would fall in a sounding like this over N GA.

33EFABFD-CA13-4F4F-AB3D-82A2613D3EE6.jpeg

I stated when I posted it was ice. Clowns don't differeniate. Trust me I know how to look at a sounding.

2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Im referring to monday. A lot of the precip on that prior run falls so late..Monday night... it would be rain. The 0z run is wetter when it would matter. 

Moreso west of Charlotte into Georgia I would agree.

Further north-east tho, the late precip may still be around freezing temps. Interested to see if the 0z euro continues to dry out further east with the late precip. If the trends continue, I don't think one would see an ice storm around Winston-Salem.

Archived