Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/4 Mega Bomb obs.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

I am in Hoboken - which is literally right across the Hudson from NYC - so I can verify that this band DID make it across the river, as it has been snowing like crazy for hours at this point.  I have not been outside in a few hours (since about 10), so I have no idea how much snow we have, but at that point, we had at least three or four inches of snow on the ground.  After another 3.5 hours under this band, it would not surprise me if we were up to 9 or so, which is between one and two inches per hour under this band, which has been sitting over us the entire time.  But again, that is a guess, because I am not going outside to measure.

It made it across the Hudson, but the Arthur Kill and Newark Bay not as much as we wanted.

3 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Storm is just now passing near 40/70 BM.  It came farther west than I thought it could.

I have 23degs.,   29.25"  Moderate blowing snow .

Worst here was around noon.  

5 hours of tapering off snow left, I would guess.

Wut

2 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

Actually, highest storm tide on record for them.

I was referring to the garbage.....in the 80's Boston Harbor was notorious as the most polluted in the country, but the fishing was great....when they cleaned it up the fisheries collapsed...probably coincidental but ironic in any case...

I don't think I could get an accurate measurement even if I tried. There are just as many spots blown down to bare ground as there are foot deep drifts. Across the front lawn there is grass showing :( It's easily 8-10" deep in the bushes on the downwind side of the driveway though and on the downwind side of my suv it's up to the bottom of the door about 14" off the ground. No good way to measure this one <_< It's still snowing sideways and it's a mix of big beautiful fluffy flakes and mangled, fractured flakes so it's packing in tight and dense which is never good for big totals. I'm going to call it at 5-6" so far but with the caveat that it could be more if you had a sufficiently wind protected area to measure in. Visibilities have been a couple of hundred feet, at most, for hours which is always fun :) Gonna go out for a ride in a few minutes and see what it looks like around town.

Agree about the snowgrowth-it's better now than it has been probably all storm in this band. Nassau County can really clean up over the next hour or two. 

I concur as right now, band I’m in right now is insane with winds cranking 41 gusting to 50mph! How does anyone measure accurately in this?

3 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

Sorry.  Though I guess if it made it out there Hoboken could have been shafted.  It's been a sight to see out here.

We did alright, and it is still snowing, though not at a clip which will accumulate too much. I tried to go out and clean but the snow still stings and it is super cold, So I'm waiting for the storm to exit first.

Archived