Newest Member
    joxey
1/4 Mega Bomb obs.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For Northern Westchester County, New York
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT UNTIL 2:30PM EST THU ...HEAVY SNOW INTO THIS AFTERNOON... AT 12:45 PM EST, A BAND OF HEAVY SNOW EXTENDS ALONG THE HUDSON RIVER CORRIDOR DOWN THROUGH THE NEW YORK CITY METRO. THIS BAND HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE LAST HOUR. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1-2 INCHES PER HOUR WILL OCCUR AT TIMES. WINDS IN EXCESS OF 40 MPH ARE POSSIBLE IN THIS BAND, CAUSING SOME DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND POSSIBLY WIRES AS WELL. VISIBILITIES MAY DROP TO A QUARTER OF A MILE OR LESS AT TIMES, PRODUCING OCCASIONAL BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

1 minute ago, nycwinter said:

most weather local forecasters expected this storm to end around this time for nyc....

It will end in NYC very soon after it ends here. As the storm starts to pull away and the best dynamics move offshore things should wrap up relatively quickly from SW to NE.

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I’m not sure how your totals are that low. Back home I’m hearing we’re close to 6” 

Believe it or not in these banding setups a few miles can make a huge difference. The fact that you're a bit Southeast of my location worked to your advantage. Those NYC bands kept getting into Eastern Bergen County but got hung up repeatedly near the GSP.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

It will end in NYC very soon after it ends here. As the storm starts to pull away and the best dynamics move offshore things should wrap up relatively quickly from SW to NE.

It’s definitely around 2 hours behind initial progs for several reasons.  But the heaviest activity aside from small meso bands is over for sure in the Metro 

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

11 here

Moderate wind driven snow right now

All the cars on the right side of the roads are blocked in

I can't even walk on the sidewalks right now

Most snow I have seen in a while

At least you had a plow come by... the deathband is snowing itself out, but can't complain after this.

Just now, White Gorilla said:

Under a fantastic band in Poughkeepsie.  This is so much better than I thought it would be. 

Yeah the LHV did well with this storm as those bands rotated from Western Long Island through NYC and then the counties that surround the Hudson River on both sides.

Blizzard conditions for most of the day in Soundview, Bronx, south of the Bruckner since 9am this morning. Things are tapering down a little right now. 

I’m looking forward to the 3 hour train commute home to see how my house in Massapequa did. 

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Think we are gonna b 5-6 here, its really tapering off. Time for removal operations to commence.

I have a little over 5 here now. Pretty much what yesterday's model runs showed for our area, but still a bit frustrating since we missed the really big totals just to the east.

4 minutes ago, WaPo said:

Blizzard conditions for most of the day in Soundview, Bronx, south of the Bruckner since 9am this morning. Things are tapering down a little right now. 

I’m looking forward to the 3 hour train commute home to see how my house in Massapequa did. 

If you like deep drifts of fresh powdery snow (I'm guessing so since you post here :-P), I'm thinking you are gonna be more than satisfied with what you encounter!

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I have a little over 5 here now. Pretty much what yesterday's model runs showed for our area, but still a bit frustrating since we missed the really big totals just to the east.

Predictable when the storms are honing in on LI and the Jersey shore, seen it countless times the past decade. Used to be different. There are some theories for this that have to do with warmer ocean temps IIRC.

I am in Hoboken - which is literally right across the Hudson from NYC - so I can verify that this band DID make it across the river, as it has been snowing like crazy for hours at this point.  I have not been outside in a few hours (since about 10), so I have no idea how much snow we have, but at that point, we had at least three or four inches of snow on the ground.  After another 3.5 hours under this band, it would not surprise me if we were up to 9 or so, which is between one and two inches per hour under this band, which has been sitting over us the entire time.  But again, that is a guess, because I am not going outside to measure.

Archived