Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/4 Mega Bomb obs.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The spot where I usually measure, which is relatively flat, open and away from the house and trees had about 9" of snow. A part of my driveway (which usually has about half as much due to it blowing away and some nearby trees) had 13", which i assume to be a drift.  Right in front of the garage was a 14" drift which included snow that blew off the garage roof.

Sounds pretty straight forward...it was an unusual storm with a lot of wind and 11" might be a reasonable best effort under the circumstances.  Here's the rub; I took a core from the 9" depth in the middle of the lawn and it melted down to 1.53" which is very high (6:1 ratio and more QPF than I would expect overall).  I can tell you that walking on that snow it was dense not fluffy.  I can also add that for most of the storm it was more like a fog with smallish snowflakes.

I love these storms, but I hate measuring them.  Just as a control, I measured on the patio table and it was 0.0"

It was a quick, but robust shot of snow for the finish. Down to flurries as the band heads east. It definitely dropped a couple tenth's of snow, but my numbers look to remain the same. It's probably the earlier stuff compacted a bit. I'm sticking with 14.5".

That brings my season total to 21.5" 

7 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Interesting to note that Bridgeport reported 8.0" snow on 1.34" liquid...also a lot of liquid and a 6:1 ratio.  Maybe it's a Long Island Sound thing.

I think the measurements for BDR are taken from a spotter off the airport somewhere as they don’t do measurements there anymore like many other places in the last 10-20 years 

24 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Spot on with the dense snow. Same thing for me here. I'm assuming that's from strong lift not lining up well with the DGZ. Several model soundings that I looked yesterday suggested that as a possibility.

I had the same issue here in west-central CT. The snow is very dense which prevented me from reaching double digits.

Just now, purduewx80 said:

JFK closed until 12Z because every time they clear runways, blowing snow drifts back over them. That is most certainly not a quality of dense snow. 

I had to laugh today because I said I’m almost sure LaGuardia and JFK have never before closed for snow amounts this low 

27 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Hey @rgwp96 what was your total?  I measured 4.25"-4.50" out there.  Drifts were 7" or more.

I called in 4.2 , mt holly has it as 4.5 . Don’t know if someone else called in more or they just added a little because I said it was still snowing . Def hard to measure . It was also really dense 

57 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

I had the same issue here in west-central CT. The snow is very dense which prevented me from reaching double digits.

Seems to happen a lot here.  I'm only a mile or two from the Sound and there's a constant roar in the treetops during these storms.  I think there's a connection. The snow growth theory may have merit as well.

The good news is that while we may have less snow [depth] on the ground tonight, I find it lasts longer here.

43 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

I called in 4.2 , mt holly has it as 4.5 . Don’t know if someone else called in more or they just added a little because I said it was still snowing . Def hard to measure . It was also really dense 

Thanks.  I agree, very hard to get a consistent, and therefore accurate, measurement.  However, I like that we are both in the ballpark of 4.00"-4.50" with this one.  The wind and cold were really the story for us inland.

..would love to see the drifting going on the north fork..county road 48(sound ave.) will

be tough to keep clear..even the N-S roads are going to have some major drifting..all those open fields

with this NW wind and a foot of snow = trouble..good luck to all those plow drivers!

It is clear to me that the turning point for this storm was when Rjay changed the title on the thread to Fish bomb or something similar I don't even remember the exact title now. Forget Grayson the idiotic name TWC gave this storm. If they are going to insist on the moronic practice of naming winter storms this one should be renamed Rjay.

10 hours ago, EasternLI said:

Spot on with the dense snow. Same thing for me here. I'm assuming that's from strong lift not lining up well with the DGZ. Several model soundings that I looked yesterday suggested that as a possibility.

8 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Seems to happen a lot here.  I'm only a mile or two from the Sound and there's a constant roar in the treetops during these storms.  I think there's a connection. The snow growth theory may have merit as well.

The good news is that while we may have less snow [depth] on the ground tonight, I find it lasts longer here.

9 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

JFK closed until 12Z because every time they clear runways, blowing snow drifts back over them. That is most certainly not a quality of dense snow. 

Too tired to finish reading the thread yesterday. Interesting for me to see the varying comments on this. I'm in Rocky Point, LI north shore, one block off the sound.  Even in the heaviest of the day, the earliest band, the snow was clearly fairly fine.  Even in slow eddies, I could only see occasional flakes up to maybe 0.25" at best.  The density of the snow here definitely surprised me when I went out to clean up.  Could tell snow blower was working a bit harder than expected. When I went to shovel non snow blower areas, found the snow very heavy, and very dense.  Not wet snow heavy, but much, much denser/heavier than expected.  My back is still hurting.  Drifting was interesting as well.  In places exposed to the wind, drifting was a definite factor - but more in the sense of recovering cleared areas and keeping other wind cleared spots clean.  One area of my neighbor's driveway was simply pointless to clear as it very quickly got recovered in snow.  But I didn't notice anything in the way of deep drifting in the neighborhood. Deepest in my yard was maybe 14" in a spot where I'd expect severe drift depth.  So I wonder if JFK's drift problem was similar - just dense snow that in the very high winds still recovered the runways. BNL is closed today due to issues with snow clearing and re-drifting, so I'm curious to see what kind of drifting they had when I'm back to work. 

Whether it was snow growth problem, wind shattered flakes or a combination - I don't know.  I suspect both were a problem out here, but thinking the wind was the dominant issue.

In any case, great storm. Glad it worked out much better for more of the forum than might have been expected.

18 hours ago, Eduardo said:

Under that band now and it is indeed all it's cracked up to be.  Must be approaching 15 or 16" now, but difficult to eyeball.  Drifts have halfway buried cars in my driveway!

This ended up being a decent estimate.  Average of several measurements yielded a total of 16.2" here.  Brings my seasonal total to 23.7".

Excellent event and I simply cannot get over how impressive the winds were here!  I hope this winter has more in store for us!

Archived