Weathernoob335
1/4 Mega Bomb obs.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Morris said:

Central Park got 9.8

I’ve noticed that Stuyvesant Town report is usually pretty good too.  They matched Central Park exactly this time.     Overall aside from Newark it seems both airports measured too low.  I think JFK AND LGA were under heavier echoes for a longer period than Central Park was so they should have been around 10-12 

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

JFK and LGA are still too low IMO. Central Park is more believable. Either way an awesome event for most. 

Areas just east of jfk and myself (approx 10 miles west) reported amounts of around 11-12 inches. I don’t believe they only had 8, unless the wind skewed their measurements. 

3 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

With 9.8 inches today in Central Park this storm now becomes the 67th largest snowstorm of all time in NYC. Tied with 3 other storms for that position.

I really wanted double digits. So close.

Much much better than expected though that far west. My call was 5-7” for most of the city. Glad that was a bust low. Glad that much of the area finally had an overperformer as well after a pretty disappointing system in early Dec and other minor events coming in on the low end of the accum range. 

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

JFK and LGA are still too low IMO. Central Park is more believable. Either way an awesome event for most. 

JFK and LGA were under much more intense and a longer duration during deform band. Both stations definitely had more then NYC and EWR. Especially EWR. EWR never got into the heart of the band and they missed the 1st 1-2 hours of it.

Numerous spotter and public reports surrounding the 2 airports reported 10"-13.5"

5 minutes ago, ag3 said:

JFK and LGA were under much more intense and a longer duration during deform band. Both stations definitely had more then NYC and EWR. Especially EWR. EWR never got into the heart of the band and they missed the 1st 1-2 hours of it.

Numerous spotter and public reports surrounding the 2 airports reported 10"-13.5"

I had roughly a foot here, just to my east multiple 13" reports. They are certainly off quite a bit. Both locations would be a nightmare to measure given their susceptibility to wind. 

Just now, Ericjcrash said:

I had roughly a foot here, just to my east multiple 13" reports. They are certainly off quite a bit. Both locations would be a nightmare to measure given their susceptibility to wind. 

Upton should use radar liquid estimate and times it by 12. They are usually good lately with adjusting erroneous airport reports. 

1 minute ago, Ericjcrash said:

Report it to Upton. The more the better:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdTV-78xAJ6cRba9IdfuTCu15EOHQACzTB-Bea8QNFuNCtp4w/viewform

3 hours ago, tim said:

..just came in..brutal out there.

drifting is unreal..got a 2' drift across the driveway..measured in a few spots

12" 18" 14"...going with 14.5"..thats my best guess at this point.

Just finished up a bunch of cleanup. Didn't want to freeze doing it. This jives with what I was seeing here. Complete with 2' drift down the driveway. Only difference is I measured a 12" 15" 16" when I was out there, so I'm just going to go ahead and call it 14.5" also. We were catching the same banding, so it makes sense.

Still have some snow falling with this last little band.

11 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

Anyone know how close the center passed to the 40/70 benchmark? Just curious.

It crossed 40N near 69W so about a degree east, current location is 40 miles WSW of Yarmouth, NS.

I was just watching an animation, you can boot it up from this link 

https://weather.gc.ca/satellite/satellite_anim_e.html?sat=goes&area=ecan&type=1070

Archived