Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/4 Mega Bomb obs.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SleetStormNJ said:

Looks like the snow is done here.  Really impossible to get a sure measurement, but my estimation/ranged average is about 6.3 inches

Our region seems to be in the 4-8 range,  with 5-7 being the closest marks. Which is exactly what some mets called for in our area. You always hope you'll be in the lucky bands ( Boxing Day comes to mind, as does the later Jan storm that winter which dumped 19 on us ) but often you're not but it was still a good storm. 

6 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

11.5 here

What a wild storm

This might have been worse than 2016 ( wind wise )

far worse then 2016 in terms of wind...looking at some of the numbers winds from 2016 were comparable to this storm but certainly did not have the long duration this storm has..

Just now, weatherpruf said:

Our region seems to be in the 4-8 range,  with 5-7 being the closest marks. Which is exactly what some mets called for in our area. You always hope you'll be in the lucky bands ( Boxing Day comes to mind, as does the later Jan storm that winter which dumped 19 on us ) but often you're not but it was still a good storm. 

You win some, you fringe on some.  We've had our share of high-impact historic events.  I'm sure we'll probably have another (maybe even this winter) within the next few winters.

5 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
10 minutes ago, bluewave said:
Center of storm passing near bouy 44008.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44008

Just outside bm

Looks we are going to have quite the blow out tide for Friday afternoon. Be interesting to see how the bayside of places like Fire Island do with all the GSB ice getting blown ashore. The docks and piers could take a real beating.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=okx&gage=mtkn6

8 minutes ago, SleetStormNJ said:

You win some, you fringe on some.  We've had our share of high-impact historic events.  I'm sure we'll probably have another (maybe even this winter) within the next few winters.

Yup the winters early yet. Me I wouldn't mind several of these rather than one big one, but either one works for me....we are more than halfway to seasonal average if you throw in the Dec events, no?

Just now, weatherpruf said:

Yup the winters early yet. Me I wouldn't mind several of these rather than one big one, but either one works for me....we are more than halfway to seasonal average if you throw in the Dec events, no?

I'm just under 50% of seasonal average, but well ahead for year to date average

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I was referring to the garbage.....in the 80's Boston Harbor was notorious as the most polluted in the country, but the fishing was great....when they cleaned it up the fisheries collapsed...probably coincidental but ironic in any case...

Wonder if they found some old tea down there lol

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Wonder if they found some old tea down there lol

You dont wanna know....I remember anchoring there for winter flounder in the spring of 88, the guide told me when the floating gunk starts coming from the treatment plant hold on, because the fishing will be frantic. It was, doubleheaders of fat flounder all 2 lbs or more. We caught sacks full, took em back to Jersey and sold a lot of em. People used to ask us for more.

It's still snowing but I think it's more blowing than snowing. The roads are absolutely horrible around town, car parts scattered all over, cars stuck in the middle of Rt 6, big branches down all over, drifts across the roads bumper deep on my Durango, geniuses pushing plow piles from driveways and lots into the street and leaving them there for the big plows to push away :fulltilt: and just general chaos and mayhem. I'm calling it at 6" because it's pretty well impossible to measure due to the wind but I won't be surprised to see reports of 8", that band meant business and sat over us for nearly two hours. This storm won't be remembered around here so much for the accumulations as for the overall impact, nearly everything in town is closed and several neighboring towns called a SOE. Considering my expectations of 3 to maybe as much as 5" I'm certainly not disappointed but would have loved to have that band set up over me rather than the two long duration passes it made 15 miles south and east of me where I expect to see 9<>10" reports.

Archived