Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/4 Mega Bomb obs.

Ericjcrash

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Just got in from taking our son to the doc for a sinus infection. Local/county roads and Route 1 are treacherous, but nobody's out, so not that big of a deal).  As of noon, we have about 5" of snow, which continues our 1" per hour rates since 8:30 am.  Looks like we should make 6".  Really thought it looked like more than 1" per hour, but that's what I measured - and in a windy situation like this, I take the average of about a dozen measurements in our fairly quiescent back yard (away from trees and the house), so I don't think I could measure much better.  Have been off line for 90 minutes, which I hate during a storm, but I did get a chance to go for a walk and a drive, which was nice, as it's just gorgeous out there. Time to shovel.  

And just got in from shoveling, then going on a little drive. As of 2 pm, we have 6.0", so we surpassed by 5.5" guesstimate; had 1/2" per hour rates for the past 2 hours.  Gessing we'll tack on another 1/2" or so before it ends as it's been snowing moslty lightly.  Great storm.  My one surprise, which I haven't investigated, is I'm pretty sure we got standard 10:1 ratios, not the 15:1 or so many thought we would get, including me -(been shoveling for decades and this snow "felt" fairly dense) .  Has anyone checked this or have spotters/NWS reported on it? 

Side streets are all snow-covered and a tough go, while county roads are a bit better.  Route 1 is very slushy and slow, while 287 has some slushy spots, but isn't that bad, especially since traffic is very light.  With the snow ending out here, the rush hour or what's left of it (traffic is really light) might not be too bad near I-95 and west with the snow winding down.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

RAP suggests another band setting up for a finale out here. Shouldn't be as strong as what's going on west of us now though, but we'll see I guess. How much do you think you have over there?

Under that band now and it is indeed all it's cracked up to be.  Must be approaching 15 or 16" now, but difficult to eyeball.  Drifts have halfway buried cars in my driveway!

Just now, bluewave said:

That band pushing thru Nassau into Western Suffolk is the real deal. Vis down to .10 mile with frequent gusts in the 50 mph or higher range. Numerous branches down with each gust producing swirling snow spins ups.

..we're hoping it survives the trip out this way..would make for a nice grand finale..

6 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Central Park 7.8 inches as of 1 PM update.

10 looking very possible. I'm not down there but it sounds like a fair measurement, maybe a tad low from the radar I've observed all day but close I suppose.

Anyone near there that can chime in?

5.2 at LGA at the same time, now that can't be right. If one gets it right the other F's it up. I realize it's windy but accurate measurements should not be this hard.

that's definitely a low read. When I was at CP this am until about 12:30 it was at least 9. The bands ever since have been pretty insane (at least here on the west side) so I don't think 12'' is out of the question when all is said and done

1 minute ago, tim said:

..we're hoping it survives the trip out this way..would make for a nice grand finale..

Some of the lee side drifts around the houses here are already up to the window level. Each gust creates a whiteout and there are small broken branches all over the top of the snow now.

47 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

8.5" total here as of 2PM.  We've basically accumulated nothing with light to very light snow falling since noon.  The wind is another story...lots of blowing snow.

Basically we got caught in a dry slot between bands.  Also, the snow on the ground is rather dense; i.e., the wind is really packing it together.

We did catch the 3"/hour band earlier and it looks to be ready to head back over us this afternoon, but it will have to stick around a while to undo the couple of hours + that we have lost.

About the same out here in Port Jeff Station. Caught in between bands, hope this last band adds a couple inches.

17 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Under that band now and it is indeed all it's cracked up to be.  Must be approaching 15 or 16" now, but difficult to eyeball.  Drifts have halfway buried cars in my driveway!

Some of the strongest wind gusts to around 60 mph on the day with this band coming through right now.

Farmingdale  23 20 88 NW30G59 29.16R VSB 1/4 WCI 5

52 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

8.5" total here as of 2PM.  We've basically accumulated nothing with light to very light snow falling since noon.  The wind is another story...lots of blowing snow.

Basically we got caught in a dry slot between bands.  Also, the snow on the ground is rather dense; i.e., the wind is really packing it together.

We did catch the 3"/hour band earlier and it looks to be ready to head back over us this afternoon, but it will have to stick around a while to undo the couple of hours + that we have lost.

Yea you got stuck in the subsidence. We mainly avoided it further west. Trained spotter in south Huntington reported 11.1” a few hours ago, which was in line with what I measured at around 1 pm. We’ve probably added another inch since then. 

Islip to your south at 15”

Hmmm....went out to clean up and I'll say it looks like more than 5 inches....lotta deep drifts. Since there drifts all over and patches where the grass is showing there's no real point in measuring....it was a great storm for some of us, and a good one for a lot of us.....plus the wind kept most of the snow off the sidewalk so less to clean there. Looked to be more like 8, maybe RT in Carteret had themore accurate depiction for the area.

Archived