Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 6-8 Snow/Ice/Rain

Hoosier

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light freezing rain continues here.  Haven't seen any sleet for awhile.  Probably a good tenth of an inch of glaze out there.  The fresh looking snow from the past week or so is now crusted up and glossy on top.  Temp has reached 30.  CC from DVN shows the melting layer holding at over 2000ft, so thinking we won't see any flakes here.  Snowflakes that is. :lol:

5 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I must say we have had very little precipitation here throughout the day. Radar returns looked promising for something earlier on, but everything that makes its way into the area seems to have fizzled out.

Will not be surprised to see KMDW and KORD as precip mins.

High dewpoint depressions out this way, but it's coming.

19 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I must say we have had very little precipitation here throughout the day. Radar returns looked promising for something earlier on, but everything that makes its way into the area seems to have fizzled out.

Will not be surprised to see KMDW and KORD as precip mins.

Odd. Not big accumulations, but when I put my trash can out it slid right off the driveway. Thinking any untreated surfaces are extremely hazardous.  Edit: saw your in the Loop. Urban heat island repels all frozen precipitation.

My takeaway from this event is don't underestimate WAA. The NAMs/RAP/HRRR were obviously on right track and still not warm enough with warm nose. It's a good learning lesson. As someone with a public safety responsibility involved in forecasting, I do regret not hitting the freezing rain threat harder when I had forecasting responsibility for the event. We did trend in right direction this morning but still not quite hard enough. But that's how this is a learning experience that will help with the next similar situation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My takeaway from this event is don't underestimate WAA. The NAMs/RAP/HRRR were obviously on right track and still not warm enough with warm nose. It's a good learning lesson. As someone with a public safety responsibility involved in forecasting, I do regret not hitting the freezing rain threat harder when I had forecasting responsibility for the event. We did trend in right direction this morning but still not quite hard enough. But that's how this is a learning experience that will help with the next similar situation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think it’s human nature honestly to underestimate WAA as it almost always happens especially considering the cold air that has been entrenched across the area for days

Archived