SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4th Coastal Obs/Disc

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For posterity, here are the qpf forecasts of the Euro (top left), GFS (top right), GGEM (bottom left) and German model (bottom right) leading up to the storm.  They end at last night's 00z run and start on the 00z run four days before that.  (I threw the German model in to complete the square, but it's intersting nonetheless.) 

oLyBmSl.gif

We're under another band of light snow now, but the howling wind makes it seem heavier than it is.

15 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yeah, it's a shame that we don't have a lot to show for the effort because with a little more snow on the ground, this is a perfect winter day.

Still under a band here that hopefully continues for awhile longer.

Same here.  It's still snowing, but we almost certainly have less than 2".  It's hard to tell for sure because anything that isn't anchored by grass gets blow away, and any place that is sheltered from the wind builds up a drift. 

53 minutes ago, cae said:

For posterity, here are the qpf forecasts of the Euro (top left), GFS (top right), GGEM (bottom left) and German model (bottom right) leading up to the storm.  They end at last night's 00z run and start on the 00z run four days before that.  (I threw the German model in to complete the square, but it's intersting nonetheless.) 

oLyBmSl.gif

We're under another band of light snow now, but the howling wind makes it seem heavier than it is.

Uh oh look out for the rise of the German's they won imby 

1 inch as of early this AM.  Per radar, my house has been in a band all morning, but I have been at work.  However, at the pitiful rates that this storm brought, I doubt much more was added. 

Worse part is now I will forever have to hear about the great winter of 2017-18 and the raging blizzard that buried the east coast. :fulltilt:

MDstorm

Took a  Jebwalk on the old Twin Shields golf course. One of the few remaining bands worked through early in the walk reducing visibility to around 1 mile, didn't last long.  The wind was whipping down one of the roads that used to be a fairway, lots of open land and drifting right into our face.  Felt like Feb 10, 2010 except for the missing 20 to 30 inches of snow  from combined two storms. Into the wind, i thought my eyeballs were going to freeze and it was really uncomfortable.  Coming back with the wind felt toasty.  A day like today really teaches you about wind chill. 

got a coworker in newton, ma (right near boston).  he said they're getting plastered right now.  also seeing flooding pics.  this will end up being a legendary coastal city storm giving the stretch from the carolinas all the way up the entire east coast with high impacts.  my bro in law in va beach said they topped out at about 8" and that was a couple hours ago.

5 minutes ago, MDstorm said:

1 inch as of early this AM.  Per radar, my house has been in a band all morning, but I have been at work.  However, at the pitiful rates that this storm brought, I doubt much more was added. 

Worse part is now I will forever have to hear about the great winter of 2017-18 and the raging blizzard that buried the east coast. :fulltilt:

MDstorm

But, one good snowstorm does not a winter make in Boston nor New York City. And, hey, if it does turn out to be an epic winter for them, that increases our chances of getting in on at least one event. Sure we may still end up below average like 04/05, 10/11, but an active snow season in the northeast makes it much less likely for us to have a skunk of a season. 

But, one good snowstorm does not a winter make in Boston nor New York City. And, hey, if it does turn out to be an epic winter for them, that increases our chances of getting in on at least one event. Sure we may still end up below average like 04/05, 10/11, but an active snow season in the northeast makes it much less likely for us to have a skunk of a season. 

Very true. We got nothing compared to Boston in the 14/15 seasons, but we were able to get snow from events that they cashed in on too

Was a really pretty sight down here in Richmond. A little over 2 inches at my mom's house. Heard places 20 miles east had 7 to 10 inches. That death band would not move west enough for me. A lot better here than back home in Purcellville where they had some very light flurries early this morning! Beautiful out there now with a lot of wind!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived