SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4th Coastal Obs/Disc

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great winter weather this morning.  Powder blowing everywhere, with wind gusts of 30 mph around 8am and of 31 mph around 10am.  There are bare patches on my lawn next to 10" drifts.  It's almost impossible to measure the snow, but I took a Jebwalk and did my best.  I'm going to guess 1.5", but realistically it could be anywhere from 1-2".

Fwiw, I think Balitmore County made the right call to close schools today.  Tree branches are falling, snow (and trash cans and trash) are blowing everywhere, and my road still hasn't been cleared.

3 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

Holy ****, watching the sun rise on this beast is incredible with GOES16: http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=regional-northeast-02-48-0-100

The low is definitely moving more NE than N right now.

I have been watching that too.  The storm looks and acts just like a "winter Hurricane."  It actually looks a lot better than most hurricanes do at this latitude.   Weatherwatcher007's video shows the power of this storm.  Great job!

2 minutes ago, das said:

What's your total now?  I'm downtown and can't measure.  When I left home at 8am, I was at 0.8".

I’ll try to measure, but my usual spots are completely wind blown. There were several places at 1” earlier. I’ll go out and try to get a good measurement and let you know.

10 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Can see the grass. Wind started to howl last 30 minutes. dry powdery snow, better than 02-03, more like 95-96

Actually, it's not. Stepping outside for the first time from a covered window, completely different. satellite, yeah. real whatever, no. warm wet snow. 

1 hour ago, Kingstonian said:

Wow, that's one of the biggest difference I've seen between us on a small storm.  I just went out to re-measure (09:45) and had only 0.9".  

Yeah. It’s heavily tainted due to wind but it’s the spot I always use with solid results. It’s been snowing lightly all morning and I bet if I went to measure again I’d get the same reading. Wind is nasty and messing it all up

Measuring somewhere between .75 and an inch hard to tell since I am on a wind swept hill.  the current band is spitting out some nice dendrites so maybe I'll add some more.   Can't say I am disappointed but those late models did add a bit of weenieism to my expectations.  Better than Boxing Day debacle at least.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived