• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4th Coastal Obs/Disc

mappy

Nothing but a cirrus storm back here in central PA but tracking nonetheless. Wish I could get a GIF file inserted but here is the GOES 16 floater loop close up on this monster storm. It's an awesome shot.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso-meso2-15-48-1-100

You can see some of the more enhanced stuff pushing up the Chesapeake and eastern VA towards DC and Baltimore metros. I'd say with that and by the looks of radar trends DC should get into some of the steadier snows for awhile soon but that heavier stuff might not get much further to the west than that. Echoes are trying to close up on the Northern VA side directly over LWX radar but still having a time of it with the dry air. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting to see more light returns over north of Sterling into MoCo with better banding structures developing along the area in Carroll county and Howard. This should continue for the next several hours with as 700mb frontogenesis is parked directly overhead. Once the shield is established, it should pivot over the area and slowly pull east during the morning. Looks like the Rt 15 corridor is shaping up to be the western extent of the precip shield, although areas like Camp David and South Mountain on the western side of Frederick into Washington County will likely see a little snow as well due to orographic enhancement from the Catoctins and Blue Ridge.

2 minutes ago, DJShay12 said:

Can someone give me an idea what the potential total may be for Richmond? I'm supposed to drive to NC tomorrow and was wondering if I should delay my trip. It's still coming down steady here.

rsz_20180104_025754.jpg

Well, NWS has you under a warning, so there is that. And where are you going to in NC. The eastern side to 95 is a mess. 

North winds are CRANKING in Dale City. Gusts to 28 mph. Dews are dropping alarmingly, the snow and the dry air are in a world-class boxing match at Mandalay Bay --- And the dry air WON. Its a frackin' KO. The snowstorm had to be carried out on a stretcher. They used a MOP to clean up the blood. The Arctic Front has won. The models showed all along that west of I 95 would be largely dry. I have one eighth of an inch of snow and I am thankful. Some got NONE. Overnight I expect dewpoints to fall even more, between all that dry air and the strong north winds, what little snow we have will sublimate, rush hour in a few hours should be fine. Just dont drive EAST, lol.

Congrats to all 30 to 50 miles east who are enjoying heavy snow, these winds mean BUSINESS, they are gonna blow that deep snow all over the place in a milkshake froth! Dont forget to keep your engines running on the Eastern Shore for the next few days as highs might not crack 15 degrees! Secure ropes between houses on OCMD as guides! Many ppl freeze to death yards from their homes in whiteouts.

The latest from AKQ for the Eastern Shore:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Wakefield VA
336 AM EST Thu Jan 4 2018

Wicomico-Somerset-Inland Worcester-Maryland Beaches-
Including the cities of Salisbury, Crisfield, Princess Anne,
Snow Hill, and Ocean City

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST THIS
AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions occurring. Travel will be very
  dangerous to impossible, including during the morning commute.
  Tree branches could fall as well. Additional snow
  accumulations of 7 to 10 inches are expected.

* WHERE...Wicomico, Somerset, Inland Worcester and Maryland
  Beaches Counties.

* WHEN...Until 1 PM EST this afternoon.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Winds gusting as high as 45 mph will
  cause whiteout conditions in blowing snow. Significant
  drifting of the snow is likely.

The VA Eastern Shore is also getting hit:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Wakefield VA

Mathews-Accomack-Northampton-Hampton/Poquoson-
Including the cities of Chincoteague, Wallops Island, Melfa,
Exmore, Cape Charles, Cheapside, Fishermans Island, Kiptopeke,
Kiptopeke State Park, and Plantation

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST THIS
AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions occurring. Travel will be very
  dangerous to impossible, including during the morning commute.
  Damage to trees and power lines is possible. Additional snow
  accumulations of 6 to 8 inches are expected.

* WHERE...Mathews, Accomack, Northampton and Hampton/Poquoson
  Counties.

* WHEN...Until 1 PM EST this afternoon.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Winds gusting as high as 55 mph will
  cause whiteout conditions in blowing snow. Significant
  drifting of the snow is likely.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived