Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th Coastal Obs/Disc

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

Nice flake size here in Crofton MD now, almost MOD snow looking. Nearing 1/2". I have a good feeling about this..

I'm just to you east by like 3 miles and I'm estimating 1.5". Been snowing hard for about an hour now. Snow started around 10 and has been steady. I can see on radar where I'm under a narrow heavy band. It's dropping some snow. 

4 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I'm just to you east by like 3 miles and I'm estimating 1.5". Been snowing hard for about an hour now. I can see on where I'm under a narrow band. It's dropping some snow. 

Congratulations! If I can't get under a band, I am sure gonna cheer you on! I hope you get 7 inches!

Incredible that most guidance is still initializing and tracking this thing much too far east. Even the short range HRRR is off --- considerably. They were prone to developing meso-lows (diabatically forced) on the parameterized convective regions and then growing those upscale into the main synoptic low.

That looked incredibly suspicious from the start. It was pretty clear that the coastal front(s) were better locations for development and track. The tough thing is translating that into a decent snow forecast when almost none of the guidance showed that scenario (except maybe a run or two of the normally overzealous 3km NAM and its latent-heat switchoff issues).

CC on DOV radar shows the mixing line pretty close to the MD/DE shore. It's been steady, but is showing some signs of wavering a bit under that intense WAA. Wouldn't shock me to see some PL briefly mix in right on the beaches for a bit. We've already seen a tenacious warm nose further south cut into the totals a bit on the beaches before being forced back out.

18 minutes ago, yoda said:

I'm going to try to... I have to be at work at 10... but I will stay up to see the band

No work for me tomorrow. Hubby and I own our business. I already did my work in advance, he can take care of the rest. I will return when the snow melts off of my car!  I am up  long as this storm keeps on going in my area!

9 minutes ago, ATreglown said:

No work for me tomorrow. Hubby and I own our business. I already did my work in advance, he can take care of the rest. I will return when the snow melts off of my car!  I am up  long as this storm keeps on going in my area!

Best way to live, you do what you want, when you want. Enjoy the snow!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived