joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th Coastal Obs/Disc

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS nearly the same in general. Cut totals near the bay like the rgem. Pushed the shield a little west. The only thing of note imo is the bulge to the west in central VA and NC. Not sure how much value guidance can add at this point. I suppose 0z will be important because the storm is more organized @ init. 

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Yeah, the HRRR is trending a bit drier.

If i'm gong to use a crappy QPF model today I prefer the lateast RAP which gives DC .25 and my house around 0.50" liquid.  If i"m going to be a weenie, I mightest well fall into the trap. I still like a dusting to 2" for DC and 2-4 at my house. 

7 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Honestly I feel like it’s never good. Get burned every time I use it. 

I noticed last storm (Dec 8-9) that the HRRR trended drier into the night hours, and we ended up getting much more. It's just not that good. Even during the Blizzard of 2016, I remember it had 22" for DC before sunrise. 

7 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I noticed last storm (Dec 8-9) that the HRRR trended drier into the night hours, and we ended up getting much more. It's just not that good. Even during the Blizzard of 2016, I remember it had 22" for DC before sunrise. 

If memory serves...wasnt it also kinda crappy last March with what became a "sleet storm"?

11 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I agree it's a bad model but the dec 8-9 storm was a qpf bust low and a ratio bust high. The hrrr was right about the lower qpf. 

5 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

If i'm gong to use a crappy QPF model today I prefer the lateast RAP which gives DC .25 and my house around 0.50" liquid.  If i"m going to be a weenie, I mightest well fall into the trap. I still like a dusting to 2" for DC and 2-4 at my house. 

I will take 2 inches and be happy  Nice write up in CWG. I like the map showing historic storm tracks.  The cool thing about this one is...  if it were to "boom" and give us like ten inches.. this would be the first MECS with such a track.. but at this point I dont think a wobble in the track could cause enough of the precip shield to get over top if us and give us ten inches..

1 hour ago, bigjohndc said:

To our south it has taken at-least three hours for flakes to start falling.

raleigh.png

Just heard from family in Greenville, NC - currently 33-35 degrees and rain. From what I was seeing, I always expected there to be a mixing issue - maybe with ice/sleet there, but thought they would be sufficiently cold enough to be all frozen. Sort of surprised, but perhaps that bodes well for us with a stronger westward push?

Edit - as of 5:30, changing to sleet/snow - temps down to 32...

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived