Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 3-4 Noreaster Obs

ChescoWx

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, anthonyweather said:

Nws really upped the high end for N&w. Those greens sure appear to be headed west . this could pack a surprise2f0a703d0de49022d8aeac4bc488bc0a.jpg4130886db5f48322f30fbcc830b3c167.jpg

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Lol be nice. But no chance of this verifying. Will probably be winding down in suburbs in next hour or so

right on the edge of that death band. snow has really picked up in last few minutes from moderate to mod-heavy. even if we don't see big totals, this is a very memorable storm. closest to blizzard/whiteout conditions that I've seen in this area. very epic storm so far. I was nervous waking up at 5 am to nothing but it delivered.

Haddon Heights NJ here, about 5 miles SE of South Philadelphia.

I woke up at 6:30 and it was snowing lightly and absolutely nothing was on the grass, streets or sidewalks. I was completely pissed. I sang my snow song and went back to bed for an hour.

At 7:30 it was properly snowing and there was a coating on the ground. As of 11:00 there were 2.5" on the ground and it's still snowing like mad. It's hard to tell sometimes how hard it's snowing because of the wind blowing snow off of the roof, trees etc.

Either way, we should get at least 6" out of this.

12 minutes ago, Stormman96 said:

Lol be nice. But no chance of this verifying. Will probably be winding down in suburbs in next hour or so

Can see dry air pulling in and a north south component to radar now not sure we will snow past 1pm, will be interesting to see how long.

I believe this would be the death band mentioned. Everything is more.....

This has been fun. Quite often these occur during the evening hours and you wake up with the piles of snow etc.  Watching it play out is a treat.

No clue on snow amounts.....my hunch would be well past 10" and piling up fast

My ob sent to NWS philly.
Been in that death band all morning.
I will probably not go out there again to measure.. to dangerous. :)

Bayville (Berkley Township) NJ 08721
1/4/2018 11:00 AM
Heavy Snow
Total Snow accumilation 16"
Low visibility less than 100 Yards. Drifts up to 4 feet. Blizzard conditions.

11 minutes ago, p626808 said:

Heavy Snow

Sounds awesome! Congrats!

3 minutes ago, mattinpa said:

Well this is two storms now that I was definitely lower than other parts of the region, but it's still early in the season. RedSky knows what it is like. I estimate I got 2 to 3 inches so far.

I am well aware brother, although i estimate i have 3.75" doing better this event then all the others this season. Have to look for the silver lining in these things we have a better chance of ice and holding near freezing Mon-Tue when those death band guys will melt away ;)

Moderate snow continuing.  Winds in the 20s with gusts to >30.  It feels nasty out, though.  I could sense frostbite after a good 20-30 minutes out there.

I attempted to measure, took many groups, basically with measurements from 2.5" up to 7", though 4" seemed fairly consistent in flatter areas (and passes the eye test).  I can say it is snowing hard enough that my boot tracks were filled in almost immediately after I made them.  Still, I would love to experience that huge band on the shoreline right now.  Nothing that intense made it this far west.

Jeebus crackers some guy in an old house in NYC area reports dust and snow blowing through his wall now with house shaking
Freaking jealous as heck wondering if i will ever live to see a death band 

You want to live in a rickety old house with poor insulation where dendrites can sneak thru gaps in the wall and foundation? I always thought that guy from the Dosequis commercials was the most interesting man in the world....he now has some competition.

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:
25 minutes ago, RedSky said:
Jeebus crackers some guy in an old house in NYC area reports dust and snow blowing through his wall now with house shaking
Freaking jealous as heck wondering if i will ever live to see a death band 

You want to live in a rickety old house with poor insulation where dendrites can sneak thru gaps in the wall and foundation? I always thought that guy from the Dosequis commercials was the most interesting man in the world....he now has some competition.

I would live in a barn if i could get those conditions every winter or two

25 minutes ago, p626808 said:

Heavy Snow

I saw your Obs posted but they were placed under the wrong county and State.

3 minutes ago, p626808 said:

Yeah, I sent them a note to correct.

Guess they did not know where Bayville NJ is. :) I told them to update to ocean county.

No doubt things are hectic at mt holly. Busy times....forecasting storm....observing storm....forecasting arctic cold behind storm....trying to get people aware etc etc

2 minutes ago, SP said:

No doubt things are hectic at mt holly. Busy times....forecasting storm....observing storm....forecasting arctic cold behind storm....trying to get people aware etc etc

Yeah.. that is probably an understatement.. must be crazy there...

Archived