Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Philly winter/OT/Banter thread: We Are the Champions Edition

The Iceman

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Still not sure why an non-moderated subforum that has zero issues or problems needs to start assigning moderators "just because". Smells funny to me but whatever. Have fun.

I was gonna put my nod in for you, Steve.  While Parsley has been around for some time, he hasn't been around in this sub forum recently and posts more often in the sports thread (no offense Parsley)

during bigger threat there definitely could be some janitors to clean up OT talk or move it to the correct thread. Seems every big threat there is alot of banter(even I am responsible of doing it sometimes) which eventually becomes addressed internally, but derails the threads at times. I don't think the forum needs heavy moderation, just a person or two to clean up threads during busy times. Just my opinion. It stinks having to go to other regions mods to move OT talk to another thread when they are already busy enough in their own sub during storm threats.

I think Parsley would do a fine job--just don't know how much there is to do. We all get along pretty well for the most part. And it's not that busy of a subforum that there's lots of clutter. But a little house cleaning from time to time wouldn't hurt and having a mod to go to if there's an issue isn't a bad thing.

Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Have been looking at a live stream of Punxatawney, PA and it is 11F and snowing there.  You can really tell it's cold.  People who have been standing out there for hours are like popsicles in coats & hats. :lol:

It was snowing out there and yet the little bastard saw his shadow...

• 2 weeks later...

Flyers and Sixers have been on a tear since the super bowl... is it too soon to declare Philly the city of champions? ;) Flyers made a fantastic trade to acquire Mrazek. He's a guy that definitely has game stealing ability and won't be hurt every 5 games like neuvy fingers crossed. He may play tonight... we'll see

Flyers and Sixers have been on a tear since the super bowl... is it too soon to declare Philly the city of champions?  Flyers made a fantastic trade to acquire Mrazek. He's a guy that definitely has game stealing ability and won't be hurt every 5 games like neuvy fingers crossed. He may play tonight... we'll see

Dude, I have a ton of hockey inside scoop, follow drafting, college players, overseas players/leagues, etc. Mrazek has been on my radar for a long time. When i heard we got him for basically nothing I went nutz! He is a freaking stud and imo is damn near the equivalent *potential* to be the Flyers version of Wentz ie an elite player in the key position that could bring this team a Cup if not a dynasty. Hasek/Brodeur hybrid type style. I am EXTREMELY confident he will pan out. He never had consistent playing time in Detroit and played behind a crap defense. HUGE acquisition imo!  

12 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Dude, I have a ton of hockey inside scoop, follow drafting, college players, overseas players/leagues, etc. Mrazek has been on my radar for a long time. When i heard we got him for basically nothing I went nutz! He is a freaking stud and imo is damn near the equivalent *potential* to be the Flyers version of Wentz ie an elite player in the key position that could bring this team a Cup if not a dynasty. Hasek/Brodeur hybrid type style. I am EXTREMELY confident he will pan out. He never had consistent playing time in Detroit and played behind a crap defense. HUGE acquisition imo!  

I agree, Mrazek's potential is skys the limit. An absolute steal. I really think his main issue is that he just didn't gel in Detroit's locker room. Every one on that team loves Jimmy Howard so not getting that same love and support despite playing better than him must have been frustrating. Combine the fact he is going to be the man here with the fact we have several Czechs on the team and I think his locker room issues are overblown. Hextall could have found our goaltending savior before Carter Hart even suits up for the Orange and Black. Mrazek is the perfect age too to be the guy now and allow Hart to compete with him when he's ready. A major major weakness was filled today. Now if hextall can subtract at least 2 of Weise/Manning/Letehra/Filpulla/macdonald before the TD then we will be sitting pretty. We are winning on the backs of our players in their prime and our young players. I don't see the harm in benching/waiving/trading the dead weight(players mentioned above) and riding the youth into the post season. No one is expecting a cup this year so why not get as many of your young prospects valuable playoff experience as opposed to a useless vet. The flyers are close to being in the right direction but several more moves need to be made to give this team a solid direction towards a commitment to the future and young assets on this team.. that means giving the young talent we have a shot to sink or swim as they really cannot do any worse than Macdonald/Manning/Weise/Lehehra/filpulla and they are only going to improve/learn from their mistakes. Morin is 22 going on 23, Sanheim is 21 going on 22. Time to take the floaties off and see if our first rounders can sink or swim. Giving manning and macdonald big minutes provides nothing now or for the future of this team.

9 hours ago, The Iceman said:

No one is expecting a cup this year so....

No one expected the Eagles either. Just saying. Sneak in even at an 8 seed and you never know. Seriously though is there a true "powerhouse" this year? Tampa Bay may be the one team that I can say yeah, very well rounded, talented, etc. Bruins, meh. Nashville....ok they have playoff experience and Pekka Rinne. I thought Toronto would have been stronger but they are still hitting some bumps in the road. It's really up for grabs this year imo tho obviously you look at the top (Tampa) and assume they are the favorite but how often does the presidents' trophy team win it all? It doesnt usually pan out. 

One of the best days of the year....opening day of spring training baseball as we welcome back the greatest sport ever devised!

I am optimistic the Phightin Phils will be better this year as the young players continue to grow. I would of course like to see them add some pitching. It would be nice to at least be in the playoff hunt come August. That said I think they are still a year away from competing for a playoff spot. Go Phils!!

On 2/21/2018 at 8:15 PM, Ralph Wiggum said:

No one expected the Eagles either. Just saying. Sneak in even at an 8 seed and you never know. Seriously though is there a true "powerhouse" this year? Tampa Bay may be the one team that I can say yeah, very well rounded, talented, etc. Bruins, meh. Nashville....ok they have playoff experience and Pekka Rinne. I thought Toronto would have been stronger but they are still hitting some bumps in the road. It's really up for grabs this year imo tho obviously you look at the top (Tampa) and assume they are the favorite but how often does the presidents' trophy team win it all? It doesnt usually pan out. 

Pittsburgh is firing on all cylinders right now.

• 3 weeks later...

coaching is really killing the flyers this year. last game was at least the 10th point this year lost due to our coach refusing to shorten the bench, sitting back and playing conservative to get to OT in a tie game instead of playing to win in regulation, and not playing his best players in key situations... Hakstol really needs to go, he is a bad coach and the teams success is largely in spite of him imo

So the Birds begin their title defense in 2018 against Minnesota. Pretty rough for the Vikes.... Get crushed in the NFC title game, team that crushed you wins Super Bowl in your building, then open up the next season and get to watch that team raise their banner. It's like the NFL is trying to rub it in :lmao::lmao: 

10 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

So the Birds begin their title defense in 2018 against Minnesota. Pretty rough for the Vikes.... Get crushed in the NFC title game, team that crushed you wins Super Bowl in your building, then open up the next season and get to watch that team raise their banner. It's like the NFL is trying to rub it in :lmao::lmao: 

This is according to Eskin. But damn, pretty intense game to start the season. Minn probably has locker room crap all over the place but it's in Philly. Can't imagine the price of tickets...

Good morning,

While I understand the NWS priority is to inform the public and look out for safety, I'm sorry I am not allowed to ask what went wrong from your very strongly worded statement sounding sirens and calling for a paste job of heavy wet snow coming down for hours last night to what it actually happening while this storm is currently underway.  Of course I will retract this statement if it happens but my common sense told me better not to buy into this being "historic" in any sense.  Yes, it's snowing 21-Mar and it will be for awhile.  My main grief is when you word a statement like that please be prepared to accept the backlash should it not verify in the exact terms being used.  People make decisions based on those words and production can suffer.

@ 9:30am:

No change yet but once we see the 12z NAM
trends we will probably make an adjustment higher to the w and n
of PHL. We need time to digest multiple sources of ongoing info
and hourly updated model guidance. Hopefully most folks I95
nwwd know the storm is ON! to the east, we hear wheres the snow
but we think its coming. Need more time to assess.

Can't have it both ways.

Archived