• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Philly winter/OT/Banter thread: We Are the Champions Edition

The Iceman

Since our storm thread was getting a bit off topic, I figured I would open this thread to discuss the merits of subforum merging here. Could a mod possibly move those posts from the storm thread to here? This way our storm thread stays on topic. This can also be for any banter that comes up in the storm thread. Usually this isn't needed but with the increase in members with the storm having a separate thread for off topic banter could be helpful.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Since our storm thread was getting a bit off topic, I figured I would open this thread to discuss the merits of subforum merging here. Could a mod possibly move those posts from the storm thread to here? This way our storm thread stays on topic. This can also be for any banter that comes up in the storm thread. Usually this isn't needed but with the increase in members with the storm having a separate thread for off topic banter could be helpful.

Fuggedaboutit :lol: (a merger)

I am a lurker who has never posted before. I am very new to this hobby and don't post anything because I only understand about 25% of what is under discussion and don't feel that I have anything meaningful to add. (25% is an improvement though, I've translated most of the acronyms at this point!) I don't know what the protocol is for asking n00b questions.

Personally, I really appreciate having a Philly-area subforum. Philly gets lost in NYC's shadow in so many ways; I'd hate to lose the Philly specific forum in the noise of the NYC forum.

Just my $02. Thanks for posting all of your fascinating analysis, everyone! I really do enjoy it.

15 minutes ago, PhillyGeekGirl said:

I am a lurker who has never posted before. I am very new to this hobby and don't post anything because I only understand about 25% of what is under discussion and don't feel that I have anything meaningful to add. (25% is an improvement though, I've translated most of the acronyms at this point!) I don't know what the protocol is for asking n00b questions.

Personally, I really appreciate having a Philly-area subforum. Philly gets lost in NYC's shadow in so many ways; I'd hate to lose the Philly specific forum in the noise of the NYC forum.

Just my $02. Thanks for posting all of your fascinating analysis, everyone! I really do enjoy it.

First, welcome to the board (as a poster anyways)...lol

Second, the part of your post that I bolded is precisely why most of us would like the forums to remain separate. In all honesty, I belong to the Central PA forum, but being as close as I am to Mt Holly's CWA and the fact that I'm also a Lehigh Valley native, I feel quite at home here, and despite my warmanista background, everyone has accepted me for who I am. In the other forums, trying to fit in can be difficult.

There are a good bunch of folks here!

34 minutes ago, PhillyGeekGirl said:

Welcome to the board. There is no real protocol for asking noob questions here. We all had to start from somewhere and were all beginners at one time. As long as it isn't off topic from the thread, feel free to ask away. We've got a good group here that tries to answer the best they can and you definitely will not be mocked or chastised for asking anything related to this hobby.

I'll just add what I posted in the other thread regarding this issue -

There is nothing stopping you from starting a thread.  There are many of us who lurk more than post analysis of events (whether due to time factors or due to slowly getting accustomed to utilizing all the models and tools and looking at pbps from others, etc).  The vast majority here seem to like winter events although there is also an overlap of that same group when it comes to commenting on/tracking severe events during other times of the year.  I know I spent a significant time tracking the major hurricanes over the past summer on the Tropical forum but being exposed to pbps of a variety of models during winter/severe events is informative.

We have been there done that with a combined forum back during Eastern and this and our unique topology and climatology always got lost in the noise of everyone else's weather and some of the "lost" posters were due to falling outs with mods.

And I'll add - it's a great group here.  Weenie posts are few and far between (which often clutters up the other forums) but lots of hilarious and enjoyable 1-liners with the analyses that keeps me coming back.

41 minutes ago, PhillyGeekGirl said:

Glad to have you!  A couple months ago, after looking for the past 10 years, I finally found a place that had a copy (same edition) of one of the books that solidified my love of weather (I originally bought it from the Scholastic Book club in 1971).  Had to get it again (it is so outdated now)!  :lol:

hurricanes-and-twisters-book-1971.JPG

UMMM....PHL area upgraded to WSW!  GAME ON!!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
317 PM EST Wed Jan 3 2018

...High Impact Storm including the aftermath of wind driven
record cold on its way to our area...

...A rapidly intensifying coastal storm will produce significant
snowfall and strong winds tonight through Thursday...

NJZ012-015>019-PAZ070-071-104-106-041000-
/O.UPG.KPHI.WW.Y.0001.180104T0200Z-180105T0000Z/
/O.EXA.KPHI.WS.W.0001.180104T0200Z-180105T0000Z/
Middlesex-Mercer-Salem-Gloucester-Camden-Northwestern Burlington-
Delaware-Philadelphia-Eastern Montgomery-Lower Bucks-
Including the cities of New Brunswick, Trenton, Pennsville,
Glassboro, Camden, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Mount Holly, Media,
Philadelphia, Norristown, Lansdale, Morrisville, and Doylestown
317 PM EST Wed Jan 3 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 PM
EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow and blowing snow expected. Plan on difficult
  travel conditions, including during the morning commute on
  Thursday. Tree branches could fall as well. Total snow
  accumulations of 5 to 7 inches are expected.

* WHERE...Portions of central, northern and southern New Jersey
  and southeast Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 9 PM this evening to 7 PM EST Thursday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Winds gusting as high as 45 mph will cause
  areas of blowing and drifting snow. Scattered power outages
  could develop Thursday and Friday which would force considerable
  hardship where heat would not be available.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for snow and blowing snow means severe
winter weather conditions are expected. If you must travel, keep
an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an
emergency. The latest road conditions for the state you are
calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

$$

7 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Would feel better merging with the Oregon Coast subforum. And if there isnt an Oregon one, it should be created and merged with PHL.

That's all we need is a bunch of weenie snow weather weed smokers (legal there, and nothing against it)...making 10 day out snow predictions. Lol..that would be kinda funny.

Seriously, overall, don't change a damn thing. It works without hassle...very limited Mods...Mets etc here. (If at all) Doesn't matter...it just works.

33 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

hey that's what I do...

Absolutely, no problem...some people can handle it...some not. Will be legal in NJ first (recreational)....PA will follow eventually. Tax money will flow...

Overall, let's get a little something out the Mon evening/overnight event.

Any long term predictions regarding the Birds game next Sat?

1 hour ago, Birdbean said:

I feel a flash flood from the defensive line of the Eagles along with moderate to heavy bands of running from Jay Ajayi mixed in a few squalls of pass completions from Nick Foles resulting  in an Eagles win.

I fear the only Philly team to win nothing in my life....will continue the string of ineptness....I mean no big deal only been 57 years - no rush! Thank God for the Phillies!!

• 2 weeks later...

This was needed...saw the 'SOCIAL MEDIA" tab was 7" for Albrightsville.Was that counting the inch plus from early yesterday before the light snow stop/go of about a shift or so,anyway I found it interesting to

see Palmerton(Carbon) which abuts Slatington(Lehigh) had a 4" difference 7" to 3" I believe both  ???. We got another half just recently,I never saw it but,boy did it make treacherous ... 

Paul,Man am I there with you...I'm 2 older than you and Technically I was alive to see that Iconic 1960 victory.Problem was  I was about 9/10 months old. So I FEEL the hurt in my Heart for our Eagles . It's doable....If you ever played sports you know the feeling of beating a team your told NO chance; just represent your town. Also the other way around. 1 thing that I found in common was the team's chemistry which is rarely taken into consideration... I Believe we'll see dogs fly again...Fly Eagles     

My mod nominations would be Ralph, chescopawxman, and hazwoper. All 3 are old heads and I would trust to make the right decisions towards moderating this forum and keeping it on topic in busy times when we get many more casuals.

Edit: Totally forgot Voyager too... I think he'd be good and he's another OG.

2 hours ago, The Iceman said:

My mod nominations would be Ralph, chescopawxman, and hazwoper. All 3 are old heads and I would trust to make the right decisions towards moderating this forum and keeping it on topic in busy times when we get many more casuals.

Good nominations Iceman, and I would add you to the list.

10 minutes ago, Parsley said:

I will bring quality posters back to this subforum

I will build a wall to keep weenies from other regions out of this subforum

I will expose fake news weather boards and destroy their egomaniac leaders

I will make this subforum GREAT again 

As a card carrying Trump fan...I agree with what you said "Bigly" As great a 1st year as POTUS has had I see even better (more huge) times ahead - let's all get behind MAGA and MAWPFGA (Make American Weather Philadelphia Forum) great again!!

Archived