• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Degrading of "Wunderground" Site

First Wunderground seriously reduced the "descriptive" forecasts. Now they've eliminated the link to the Scientific Discussion. Luckily I bookmarked my local link.  All this is what they give you (picture below). What gives? Does anyone know what's up?

The demise of wu has been a topic of conservation for awhile now...keeps getting worse and worse with slow loading, broken and discontinued features and no support to speak of, not to mention the redesigns of the website...each one worse than the last. As for one of the things you mentioned JBG, the "scientific discussion" is still there but you have to click on the 10 day forecast tab to see it.

5 hours ago, doncat said:

The demise of wu has been a topic of conservation for awhile now...keeps getting worse and worse with slow loading, broken and discontinued features and no support to speak of, not to mention the redesigns of the website...each one worse than the last. As for one of the things you mentioned JBG, the "scientific discussion" is still there but you have to click on the 10 day forecast tab to see it.

Thanks so much.  I sort of figured it out. But why would smart people spend so much energy wrecking a great site?

Yeah it seems really weird, as the basics are all there but the maintenance and programming seems strange. I mainly use it for the PWS network, to plan bike rides and hikes- around here the microscale differences are so big that there is a lot of variation in temps and wind over a few miles. If there is another PWS network I'd love to hear about it.

I actually met Dr. Jeff Masters back in 2000 in Ann Arbor.

I was supposed to setup a network for him at their Ann Arbor offices.

The installation was a failure, I was sent with the wrong equipment.

Got a color changing T-shirt out of the deal.

Wunderground used to be simple, fast and easy to use.

It's now bloated, slow and full of 404 dead links.

It almost appears that Weather Channel bought it to just stop having to compete with it.

The shame is that the PWS network is amazing. My PWS has been erroring on the site for 2 days and I know it's still transmitting data.

On 1/4/2018 at 2:04 PM, BayShore said:

I too have noticed this disaster. What was once the best weather site in all the land is being destroyed.

What is everyone using now?

I was wondering the same thing.

Also, when I request "history" for a location the link to it is frequently broken.

On 1/4/2018 at 3:19 PM, Jonger said:

Wunderground used to be simple, fast and easy to use.

It's now bloated, slow and full of 404 dead links.

It almost appears that Weather Channel bought it to just stop having to compete with it.

The shame is that the PWS network is amazing. My PWS has been erroring on the site for 2 days and I know it's still transmitting data.

actually, I have to wonder here, how much is the sale to the Weather Channel/The Weather Company, and how much could it be The Weather Company's sale to IBM. Because if you notice things, yes it was slowly going down hill, but TWC still upkept it decently, given how they were starting to integrate it to their programming. Once IBM took over, then the spiral has seemed to steepen greatly. Think about something though. The PWS is having problems going to the public, but it's taking data fine. Ever think about how much of that data is maybe being used to help their own private model building compared to public use?

Archived