Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Baroclinic Zone

January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just spoke to Alex in Bretton Woods and told him he has to update his snow totals.  He has been really busy but finally did.  79"!  Between snow and cold he definitely seems to have the weenie spot for board members!  They wanted a snowy, cold place when they picked their location and moved north from Boston last year.  They got it!

 

It’s definitely a great weenie spot, although retention is not great as you know... but I’m happy. It’s a great combination of snowy climate, cool in the summer, easy to get to Boston from, but most importantly, the scenery just never gets old. I think at the end that’s probably the thing that mattered the most in moving here - it’s just a beautiful place... with lots of snow. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I was thinking the same thing. Very strange how uniform the snowfall was. 

Some cashed in on the WAA and some on the banding good stuff when BID and MTK cash in as well as most

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

About as uniform a storm we ever get

IMG_20180106_212032.jpg

We were in a dryslot for a while in southwest CT,  but I think the winds evened it out nicely. Good example of a deathband that did not produce a stripe of higher totals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 700 low went like slightly SE of ACK. That prevented any dryslot issues for anyone. The 500 stuff was able to get decently west. I think that helped to give a really large area higher totals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

Poor james 

Don't worry, he's getting 4" of ocean effect snow today! 

13 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

About as uniform a storm we ever get

IMG_20180106_212032.jpg

They should have thrown out that Marlborough report. I believe it was from early in the storm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2018 at 10:04 PM, alex said:

It’s definitely a great weenie spot, although retention is not great as you know... but I’m happy. It’s a great combination of snowy climate, cool in the summer, easy to get to Boston from, but most importantly, the scenery just never gets old. I think at the end that’s probably the thing that mattered the most in moving here - it’s just a beautiful place... with lots of snow. :)

If you don't mind me asking why is snow retention a problem up there?  downsloping?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

If you don't mind me asking why is snow retention a problem up there?  downsloping?

I'd guess it's "poor" for retention only as related to total snowfall.  I've had less than half the snowfall but would guess that my current 20" depth isn't much less than his.  But my CAD-king location is very good for retention.  As with JSpin, high ratios (thus settling/sublimation has greater effect) may be one part of the reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OPC did a quick review of the bomb cyclone event, and found a phenomenon called dynamic fetch led to the 50+ waves observed during the storm.

We know that fetch is the distance winds can travel over water. Dynamic fetch is when the wind max follows the wind direction, parallels the storm, AND moves at roughly the same speed as the wave period. Essentially it creates waves on top of the waves it already created. This is more or less what happened with the sting jet, moving along around 30 knots forward speed with ~18 second wave periods.

What tends to happen is these waves then arrive as a wave front, increasing rapidly over a short period of time. At 44137 seas jumped from 28 feet to 56 feet in 6 hours!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

OPC did a quick review of the bomb cyclone event, and found a phenomenon called dynamic fetch led to the 50+ waves observed during the storm.

We know that fetch is the distance winds can travel over water. Dynamic fetch is when the wind max follows the wind direction, parallels the storm, AND moves at roughly the same speed as the wave period. Essentially it creates waves on top of the waves it already created. This is more or less what happened with the sting jet, moving along around 30 knots forward speed with ~18 second wave periods.

What tends to happen is these waves then arrive as a wave front, increasing rapidly over a short period of time. At 44137 seas jumped from 28 feet to 56 feet in 6 hours!

Sounds like storm surge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

OPC did a quick review of the bomb cyclone event, and found a phenomenon called dynamic fetch led to the 50+ waves observed during the storm.

We know that fetch is the distance winds can travel over water. Dynamic fetch is when the wind max follows the wind direction, parallels the storm, AND moves at roughly the same speed as the wave period. Essentially it creates waves on top of the waves it already created. This is more or less what happened with the sting jet, moving along around 30 knots forward speed with ~18 second wave periods.

What tends to happen is these waves then arrive as a wave front, increasing rapidly over a short period of time. At 44137 seas jumped from 28 feet to 56 feet in 6 hours!

Sandyesque for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wow.

How steep was the snowfall gradient to your east?

It rained for a good 3 hrs longer 1-2mi to my E.  I posted during the storm about this.  Never have I seen a gradient like this anywhere around here.  It puked snow here and never tainted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It rained for a good 3 hrs longer 1-2mi to my E.  I posted during the storm about this.  Never have I seen a gradient like this anywhere around here.  It puked snow here and never tainted.

 

Screenshot_20180111-224733.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×