SnowHabit
January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

Poor james 

Don't worry, he's getting 4" of ocean effect snow today! 

13 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

About as uniform a storm we ever get

IMG_20180106_212032.jpg

They should have thrown out that Marlborough report. I believe it was from early in the storm. 

On 1/6/2018 at 10:04 PM, alex said:

It’s definitely a great weenie spot, although retention is not great as you know... but I’m happy. It’s a great combination of snowy climate, cool in the summer, easy to get to Boston from, but most importantly, the scenery just never gets old. I think at the end that’s probably the thing that mattered the most in moving here - it’s just a beautiful place... with lots of snow. :)

If you don't mind me asking why is snow retention a problem up there?  downsloping?

13 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

If you don't mind me asking why is snow retention a problem up there?  downsloping?

I'd guess it's "poor" for retention only as related to total snowfall.  I've had less than half the snowfall but would guess that my current 20" depth isn't much less than his.  But my CAD-king location is very good for retention.  As with JSpin, high ratios (thus settling/sublimation has greater effect) may be one part of the reason.

OPC did a quick review of the bomb cyclone event, and found a phenomenon called dynamic fetch led to the 50+ waves observed during the storm.

We know that fetch is the distance winds can travel over water. Dynamic fetch is when the wind max follows the wind direction, parallels the storm, AND moves at roughly the same speed as the wave period. Essentially it creates waves on top of the waves it already created. This is more or less what happened with the sting jet, moving along around 30 knots forward speed with ~18 second wave periods.

What tends to happen is these waves then arrive as a wave front, increasing rapidly over a short period of time. At 44137 seas jumped from 28 feet to 56 feet in 6 hours!

5 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

OPC did a quick review of the bomb cyclone event, and found a phenomenon called dynamic fetch led to the 50+ waves observed during the storm.

We know that fetch is the distance winds can travel over water. Dynamic fetch is when the wind max follows the wind direction, parallels the storm, AND moves at roughly the same speed as the wave period. Essentially it creates waves on top of the waves it already created. This is more or less what happened with the sting jet, moving along around 30 knots forward speed with ~18 second wave periods.

What tends to happen is these waves then arrive as a wave front, increasing rapidly over a short period of time. At 44137 seas jumped from 28 feet to 56 feet in 6 hours!

Sounds like storm surge.

6 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Sandyesque for sure.

Archived