• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

Seriously this was a joke of a storm here power was out maybe an hour at tops. That was it. This storm was way overblown with power crews coming back Quebec. They are probably wondering why are you wasting our time with this joke of a storm. Sure Eastern New England got slammed hard and so did Northern New Brunswick. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, leo2000 said:

Seriously this was a joke of a storm here power was out maybe an hour at tops. That was it. This storm was way overblown with power crews coming back Quebec. They are probably wondering why are you wasting our time with this joke of a storm. Sure Eastern New England got slammed hard and so did Northern New Brunswick. 

Glad we don't live there....

5 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Although do most people only think of a blizzard as a 24” storm? Do they consider the wind?

To me, like you, "Blizzard of ____" should be kept for storms that drop a wide swath of 24"+ AND the other criteria met in at least 1 place.  2013, 2015, 2005, 2006, (2011 maaaybe) type systems.  The others, Yesterday, December 9th, 12/13/07, 2/9/17, etc. that are Quick hitting Blizzards (that are always Bombogenisis style) should just be "The Bombogenisis Storm of ____".  2011 is the one special storm that was a Quick hitter and Bombogenisis, except it dropped a wide area of 18-28.  That was a special one.  And I missed it (In LA).  Then there's the category of quick hitting Fun storms that were not of Blizzard style or of Bombogenisis style meteorologically speaking, like 1/21/14 or my favorite ever, 2/7/03.  

10 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

Sorry that the "joke of a storm" was on you.  If there's anything I can do to ease your pain and suffering I will try my best.  

11 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

How was the rain?

10 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

To me, like you, "Blizzard of ____" should be kept for storms that drop a wide swath of 24"+ AND the other criteria met in at least 1 place.  2013, 2015, 2005, 2006, (2011 maaaybe) type systems.  The others, Yesterday, December 9th, 12/13/07, 2/9/17, etc. that are Quick hitting Blizzards (that are always Bombogenisis style) should just be "The Bombogenisis Storm of ____".  2011 is the one special storm that was a Quick hitter and Bombogenisis, except it dropped a wide area of 18-28.  That was a special one.  And I missed it (In LA).  Then there's the category of quick hitting Fun storms that were not of Blizzard style or of Bombogenisis style meteorologically speaking, like 1/21/14 or my favorite ever, 2/7/03.  

How much did Cumberland get on Friday, February 7 2003?

24 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

I believe that the heart does go on. Never let go Leo.

1ba37acc8ee86ddd4d165f5213418f4b--leonar

3 hours ago, klw said:

We got another inch overnight to end with 4.5 inches.  I guess it turns out that it is not just my winter and the lot of you are not just living in it.  I am not crushed about it as the shoveling was bad enough this morning.  It was like shoveling sand.

Looks like you got fringed by the biggest storm to date this season, but overall things don't look all that bad there - season total 8.6" ahead of mine, mainly on the strength of Dec. 12-13 when I had 3.2" of cornmeal.  That 8.6" is somewhat relevant since the average for the 6 full winters on your sig is just 0.6"/yr different from mine for the same period.  I think most folks on the NE forum have had to look at their advisory-level (or worse) snow while reading about the mega-dumps not far away.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Looks like you got fringed by the biggest storm to date this season, but overall things don't look all that bad there - season total 8.6" ahead of mine, mainly on the strength of Dec. 12-13 when I had 3.2" of cornmeal.  That 8.6" is somewhat relevant since the average for the 6 full winters on your sig is just 0.6"/yr different from mine for the same period.  I think most folks on the NE forum have had to look at their advisory-level (or worse) snow while reading about the mega-dumps not far away.

No complaints from me.  I think this was the first storm all year where mine was not one of the higher totals or things did not overperform.  This is only my second year at the current location so it is interesting to see how it all pans out here.

1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

Drifts are the craziest thing about this storm to me. 3-4 feet high. Snow banks on side of roads are almost taller than me. Depth is about 18-20" of snow because all of our 37" of snow this season came in 25 days with the cold to keep it from melting.

I've literally never seen this much snow in my life. This is what I signed up for, folks.

And I'm certainly having fun reading of your enjoyment, in part because of the contrast with my move to Maine in Jan. 1973 (from the Jersey Highlands, so a much smaller change of climate.)  BGR was coming off their snowiest Dec on record so the piles were large; NNJ had about 1" and lots of cold rain that month.  We had a nice 7-8" event a week after arrival, then a 50F downpour followed by whiffs and a slop storm, then winter ended on March 1.  Next season missed being BGR's least snowy by way of a lot of April snow, and featured a foot of rain in Dec, including one event where my parents in NNJ reported 15F and sleet while I had 56 and heavy RA (and the west part of SNE was lights-out with ZR.)  It was Dec 1975, our last month in BGR, before we had "real" Maine snow and cold.  (And moving to the northern tip of the state on 1/1/76 kind of guaranteed plenty of both.) 
May your sense of wonder never be lost.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The NWS  almost always uses my Greenfield report except when The local news station (WWLP) calls it in  and they are notorious slant stickers.

I have a similar problem for my location (Stafford Springs).  I'll report all storm long and then the final report will be a Ham radio report which is invariably higher than mine.

Speaking of reports for my town, I noticed that they have two for Stafford - one 16.6 and the other 15.6.  I'm wondering if the Co-Op called the 16.6 in or fat fingered it and really only had 15.5".  Even that seems high but is closer to the Ham report (not sure where that is) of 14.3". 

For the record, my final is 12.7".

55 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Sometimes up here it's mere miles that separate the two categories and still no one knows it's happening, lol.  

Sometimes I do wish it was more populated around here so we could have more discussion like those 50-page threads for 2-4".  But then again with the frequency we'd REALLY never get anything done.

Ended up with 4" or so here...I'll make myself feel better by adding in the surprise snow from Wednesday to get ~8" total in the past 60 hours haha.  Still a decent gain on the season total this week even with the whiff.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Did you count obs with no gust as having the same speed as the sustained? Because that would be incorrect.

I did. Why would that be incorrect? Since it's sustained wind or gusts, I wasn't sure what else to use for those. You could do a moving average I suppose, doesn't impact things all that much. 

1 hour ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

How much did Cumberland get on Friday, February 7 2003?

14" on the nose.  Was my favorite storm becasue I had 2 straight hours of 4" per hour.  I would shovel for 15 seconds, look back, and it was covered.  So many of you have seen 4" per hour since 2003, but I have seen it maybe for 10 minutes here or 20 minutes here.  NEVER for 2 straight hours.  

16 minutes ago, bboughton said:

They said they allow for 15-20 minute lulls on Twitter when I asked.

So if they allow as long as 20 minutes....it appears ORH missed criteria by 1 minute. They failed to record a 35mph gust between 11:54 AM and 12:15 PM. A span of 21 minutes. Otherwise they would have gone over 4 consecutive hours of blizzard conditions.

13 minutes ago, bboughton said:

I did. Why would that be incorrect? Since it's sustained wind or gusts, I wasn't sure what else to use for those. You could do a moving average I suppose, doesn't impact things all that much. 

Because the gust is still higher than the sustained even though it isn't reported by the ASOS. There's a certain threshold where if the gust isn't X mph above the sustained it just gets lopped off the ob.

Nice storm....I'll go with what Ryan reported at the station of 10" here in West Hartford......bit disappointed in the final amount as it started off well enough and then we got sucker holed - for lack of a better term - until that last heavy band rolled through in the afternoon but it was too quick.......can't believe how far west the actual band got before it set up shop DXR northeast and southwest into NY.....impressive......would have loved to crack a foot but oh well......

Not loving the GFS LR.....need to get another good one in here to bury us until Morch......I'm a pack queen.....it is what it is.....

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

And I'm certainly having fun reading of your enjoyment, in part because of the contrast with my move to Maine in Jan. 1973 (from the Jersey Highlands, so a much smaller change of climate.)  BGR was coming off their snowiest Dec on record so the piles were large; NNJ had about 1" and lots of cold rain that month.  We had a nice 7-8" event a week after arrival, then a 50F downpour followed by whiffs and a slop storm, then winter ended on March 1.  Next season missed being BGR's least snowy by way of a lot of April snow, and featured a foot of rain in Dec, including one event where my parents in NNJ reported 15F and sleet while I had 56 and heavy RA (and the west part of SNE was lights-out with ZR.)  It was Dec 1975, our last month in BGR, before we had "real" Maine snow and cold.  (And moving to the northern tip of the state on 1/1/76 kind of guaranteed plenty of both.) 
May your sense of wonder never be lost.

Thanks!

Hi guys (and ladies),

Still on my way back home to SE NC.   It's currently a toasty 11F here in Guilford, CT...accompained by very gusty winds.  Wind chill below zero, for sure!

Due to the long 900 sm drive up the coast, and 40 hours of no sleep, I'm way behind on posting and catching up with the thread.   

That aside, I did document the intense blizzard conditions in various areas along and near I-95 from CT to Boston.  Highlights include the aforementioned intense blizzard conditions, blinding white-outs, 50-60 mph wind gusts, 12-15" snowfall, 6 foot snow drifts, and major coastal flooding of Boston streets (up to Atlantic ave) from the Harbor!

It's so scenic and beautiful up here in SNE, it's truly hard to leave.   Looking forward to coming back, very soon!

P.S.  Have a couple of very brief storm snippets, shot via my cell phone, posted on my YouTube channel...filmed in and near Boston.     

https://youtu.be/zdPeoTlFfzI

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

So if they allow as long as 20 minutes....it appears ORH missed criteria by 1 minute. They failed to record a 35mph gust between 11:54 AM and 12:15 PM. A span of 21 minutes. Otherwise they would have gone over 4 consecutive hours of blizzard conditions.

Was that the only lull? I don't think they allow repeated lulls of 20 minutes especially close together. 

Archived