Newest Member
    joxey
January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Jeez looks like J.Spin is at 6" on his web cam and radar is cranking upslope snow over him. 

What a weenie location, he'll probably pull like 12" somehow by morning, more than a bunch of those who were actually in the storm. 

Weenie snow spot, but it's always fun being a part of a major storm with hundreds of others on here. I'd be lonely on here posting about my exclusive fluff every other day. You guys get out in it though so you're not losing too much sleep over it.

1 minute ago, mcglups said:

13 or 14 is likely a good number for Newport RI. From 830 a.m. onward for 4 hours it snowed at good rate. We've now had several storms in this range as this picture from my back porch is similar. The only thing missing to make this storm more impactful was to have a solid accumulation on the backside of the system. good stuff, and surf tomorrow, bring it on!

20180104_182501.jpg

Peeps were out at Matunuck today

24 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I took a measurement earlier (about 1845) of 12.5".  I'll get a final measurement in the morning but I don't think it will  be appreciably more.  A pretty decent storm in any book.  I loved the meteorology and the imagery on this one!

Jeff Aborn with 16.6” lol. . A mile or 2 away from you . That guy has been slanting and making stuff up for years and is an official co op observer and Cocorahs. Hopefully they shut him down and toss all his data 

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Weenie snow spot, but it's always fun being a part of a major storm with hundreds of others on here. I'd be lonely on here posting about my exclusive fluff every other day. You guys get out in it though so you're not losing too much sleep over it.

Yeah such is life in the mountains ;).  

As the general rule goes, you don't want us doing well in a synoptic system for the sake of the majority of the forum.  

You are usually far enough south/east to get in on the population center storms.  

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No I meant I was wondering who in our forum I’m the storm got less than Jimspin 

It was a hypothetical, we'll see what he gets by the time it ends tomorrow afternoon but I've seen a lot of 8-13" type amounts posted the past couple pages for people claiming final totals or near final. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah such is life in the boonies ;).  

As the general rule goes, you don't want us doing well in a synoptic system for the sake of the majority of the forum.  

You are usually far enough south/east to get in on the population center storms.  

No New England Snow totals for you?

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Jeff Aborn with 16.6” lol. . A mile or 2 away from you . That guy has been slanting and making stuff up for years and is an official co op observer and Cocorahs. Hopefully they shut him down and toss all his data 

I'd be happy to take over if they did.  I was an observer when I lived over in Somers for a few years and would have applied when I moved to this location but Stafford already had an observer.  I already have most of the equipment...lol.

Maybe he did multiple measurements and added them together?  There was a fluff factor so I could see that, particularly with the longevity.

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

I'd be happy to take over if they did.  I was an observer when I lived over in Somers for a few years and would have applied when I moved to this location but Stafford already had an observer.  I already have most of the equipment...lol.

Maybe he did multiple measurements and added them together?  There was a fluff factor so I could see that, particularly with the longevity.

Well I had 13 and you 12.5.. and I think I saw Somers with 11 at 5:00. So unless there’s other big numbers in N TOL County. We toss Aborn 

51 minutes ago, weathafella said:

No.  They’re going to be long live winter days-deep deep cold over deep smow.  Winter at its best.

Yeah this is awesome.  I bet my neighbors are torn between being amped up over the 16 inches of snow they got today or the brutal horror of trying to shovel 3 feet of the Atlantic ocean out of their basements in sub zero temps.

It's probably a wash

2 minutes ago, The Graupler said:

Yeah this is awesome.  I bet my neighbors are torn between being amped up over the 16 inches of snow they got today or the brutal horror of trying to shovel 3 feet of the Atlantic ocean out of their basements in sub zero temps.

It's probably a wash

Glad we don’t live there.

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

?    Dedham was the highest report on BOX’s PNS

ORH did really well.  Not sure what you mean...

I guess I didn't understand as the way it was worded. I thought you were trying to compare something.  Many reports came in with ranges between 14 -19" so far.... I thought earlier we may have been able to sqeeze about an inch more but this wind is pownding and stinging.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Glad we don’t live there.

Yeah those images are awful.  No thank you on that.  Just the act of flooding during a snowstorm seems so unnatural lol.  Those photos of cars submerged in water with pasty snow on the roof are pretty crazy.  But with the temps we have coming, no thanks.

Archived