January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

is that true?

1m

Just in from @NWSBoston Only one station in New England officially recorded blizzard conditions: Block Island

Southern New England only, Taunton office area.  I read somewhere that Portland verified.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BUF&product=PNS&issuedby=BOX

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Taunton MA
513 PM EST Thu Jan 4 2018

...ONLY ONE STATION REPORTED BLIZZARD CONDITIONS TODAY IN SOUTHERN
NEW ENGLAND...

The National Weather Service in Taunton has reviewed the
observations from the winter storm that affected our region today.
We have determined that the only official reporting site that met
blizzard criteria was Block Island, RI (BID).

The definition of a blizzard is that falling and/or blowing snow
reduces visibility to below 1/4 mile along with sustained winds or
winds that frequently gust to 35 mph or more, and that these are
the predominant reported conditions for 3 consecutive hours.

When reviewing whether a particular observation location had
blizzard conditions, we counted visibilities equal to 1/4 mile since
that is often quite low for an automated visibility sensor to detect.

At Block Island, blizzard conditions occurred between 830 AM and
1205 PM. In that 3 hour and 35 minute period, there were only a few
short gaps in which there was a brief lull in the winds, totaling
18 minutes. Blizzard conditions were predominant.

Six stations had near-blizzard criteria, but fell short either
because of too many lull periods, or because of the length of time.
These near-blizzard sites included Boston, MA (BOS),
Worcester, MA (ORH), Plymouth, MA (PYM), Providence, RI (PVD),
Newport, RI (UUU), and North Smithfield, RI (SFZ).

1 minute ago, WxBlue said:

There's a big band to west of us, but looking again, it's more stationary than drifting toward us. It's been a long day balancing work and this storm lol.

Thats the deform rotting over Dendrite.  It could swing through, but I find they sometimes just rot in place.  We should hit 15 anyhow and we could get a grand finale.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

BOS has been below a quarter mile since like 10am with gusts in the 40mph range every hour....they verified. I'm sure a bunch of other stations already have

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH verified blizzard criteria already as well. Both BOS and ORH are good locations for winds though in these storms. So it might not feel the same way in a protected residential area.

6 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

is that true?

1m

Just in from @NWSBoston Only one station in New England officially recorded blizzard conditions: Block Island

Will mentioned that both BOS & ORH did so I don't know how that statement would be true.

39 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Oh can we all relate with that significant others. LOL. 2015 tested my marriage.

My wife (who is way too patient with this obsession, including Feb 2015) decided to grant me 3 storms of my choice / winter to geek out over undisturbed.

This was #1 / 3 this winter. Of course at the same time, I'm the go to guy when her (and my) co-workers want to know what to expect.

5 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Thats the deform rotting over Dendrite.  It could swing through, but I find they sometimes just rot in place.  We should hit 15 anyhow and we could get a grand finale.

Agree. We should nickel and dime our way to 16" or so.

It’s time to rewrite the definition of blizzard criteria for automation then. ASOS struggles to go below 1/4SM and you’re going to get lulls when measuring wind every minute. Human observers were putting out hourly obs that were routinely 0SM or 1/16SM and putting up wind obs that looked like estimates sometimes. You’d see obs like 30G40kt and then 30kt with no gust reported at all. 

There was a storm a year or two ago where they put out a blizzard verification statement and many stations supposedly reached it. Anyone recall the storm and have the text statement on that?

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That's ridiculous. What criteria were not met? I assume wind? Widespread obs were <1/4 mile visibility for hours.

These seemed to match or surpass the Feb 9 2017 blizzard which was shorter duration and officially met criteria.

17 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Mongo band rotating out of my area, doesn't look like a whole lot behind it unless things fill in.  Noticed ACK bar. was rising at 5 PM (from 28.63.)  Still gusting 54 there.

Wind starting to ease a little out here (ACK) as it backs NW. I have not seen a single flake, just a little sleet mixed with the heavy rain which has tapered off to mist.

1 minute ago, wxsniss said:

That's ridiculous. What criteria were not met? I assume wind? Widespread obs were <1/4 mile visibility for hours.

These seemed to match or surpass the Feb 9 2017 blizzard which was shorter duration and officially met criteria.

That’s the one. Someone find the statement on that.

1 minute ago, wxsniss said:

This is a pretty classic New England blizzard and will go down as one gust criteria be damned. 

32 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Jeff and I are starting to lighten up according to radar.  Meanwhile that deformation band is just curling stationary over Dendrite and rotting.  Its like that ENY band that sets up in so many noreasters.

Dealing with some dry air right now, But looks like we have another band offshore that may move in.

Archived