Newest Member
    joxey
January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Cleared 6.0" from the board about 2:10 (0.43" LE, ratio 14:1), about 2 hours later could hardly see the trees across the yard - 100 ft - visibility well under 100 yards, and swept almost 6" more from the steps.  Next board check comes at my regular 9 PM obs time.  Wind gusts probably below 30, so no blizz, just puking snow. 

Wow, nice!  Didn't think the ratio would be that high.  Can't wait to hear your total.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Bands just keep coming in...I can’t keep up with it. I clear a path every hour to the birds and it’s 2-3” every time...compaction city where I’m actually measuring. Deep deep deep winter this weekend. Breathe it in ladies and fellas.

I'm getting the urban experience here, had a couple great Jebwalks and soon gonna walk over to a restaurant.  And then tomorrow out in the country enjoying the drifting, the snowscape, and seeing how snow behaves on my roofs, and where the drifts are setting up.  You are getting the rotting deform we all dream of - Congrats Dendrite!

18 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

LOL... this has been an amazing storm... would be nice to bit 20”... but either way... truly special.

I think this will start coming to an end fairly quickly for most in the next hour or two

Really puts early towel throwing into perspective :devilsmiley:

Starting to lighten up a bit here, but still coming down nicely. 

10 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

9.2" here, ranges between 10.3 and 8 in the yard so board total seems reasonable. Snow growth was pretty bad for the second half of the storm since we weren't under the good bands the majority of the time. Still an overperformer by a good margin though.

Getting around the same here in Westport.

Driveway / Grass / Usual measuring spots Total: 6"-7"  

Actual Total - 12.25"  A FOOT!!  

32nd 12"+ Storm since the Great Snow Era Began in 1992-1993.      Now hoping for 15".  Would be 16th in that time frame.  

Do Note - Last Years February Bombogenisis Bomb was well better for me and many others.   2" Per Hour for 5 hours, 4" per hour for 2 hours in many places, 19" Highest Totals.  

12 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

The ski area was in Holyoke on a 1200' ridge.  As someone growing up just south of the border and driving to Springfield on an almost daily basis for school I encountered lots of times where it was raining/green south of the border and snowing there, but that was back in the 70s/80s.  Then again, this is a discussion for another thread/time.

I skied there in 1998, just before they went out of business. The climate has also changed, because My Tom, Maple Valley and Ascutney have all gone out of business in the last 20 years. The CRV is no longer ski area freindly.

1 minute ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I skied there in 1998, just before they went out of business. The climate has also changed, because My Tom, Maple Valley and Ascutney have all gone out of business in the last 20 years. The CRV is no longer ski area freindly.

Greenfield was nicknamed "Winterland" from the turn of the century up through the 50's because it was a winter recreation center for the lower valleydue to guaranteed snow sports and ice skating.

4 minutes ago, Greg said:

Lincoln, MA had about 17" about 30 minutes ago.  I think another jack potential is there besides Taunton.  Somewhere near the Bedford and Concord, Mass area.

went out about 2PM to shovel (Concord) and unscientifically measured 8 1/2" in my driveway but it's been snowing hard here since then. Someone in Concord reported 15" - I was dubious but your 17" would support.

5 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Used to ski Mt Tom all the time when I was a kid, wasn't a bad little mountain being so close.

6 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

Driveway / Grass / Usual measuring spots Total: 6"-7"  

Actual Total - 12.25"  A FOOT!!  

32nd 12"+ Storm since the Great Snow Era Began in 1992-1993.      Now hoping for 15".  Would be 16th in that time frame.  

Do Note - Last Years February Bombogenisis Bomb was well better for me and many others.   2" Per Hour for 5 hours, 4" per hour for 2 hours in many places, 19" Highest Totals.  

Try to squeeze out another 1.75” somewhere somehow so you can hit the bottom of the 14-20” range I had for you. 

Archived