Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Thoughts on TAN?  Winds may be bordeline. 

Winds are preventing TAN from official blizzard...they had peak gusts of only 28 knots between noon and 1pm. But if you can keep the vis 1/4 or lower for the next couple hours, it will prob make it, because winds have increased...its been constantly 33-35 knots for gusts there.

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Thoughts on TAN?  Winds may be bordeline. 

The definition is vague anyway...”frequent gusts”. I mean you had gusts over 30kt every hour, but here and there they would dip into the 20s. They should average the gusts over the hour (1min obs) and if it’s over 30kt say that hour qualifies. The vis can be cheap too. You can have 5 straight hours of 1/4SM except for one SPECI in the middle that is 1/2SM.

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

yeah though seems to be going heavy again.  maybe we get into another heavy band before it ends?  If not, great storm anyhow.  Puts us close to 3' on the season

I just went out and measured the board. Another 0.9" in the past hour to put us at 11.2", although it's obvious drifting is making it tough to be accurate. Wouldn't surprise me if it's actually 12" for the storm so far.

Just now, WxBlue said:

I just went out and measured the board. Another 0.9" in the past hour to put us at 11.2", although it's obvious drifting is making it tough to be accurate. Wouldn't surprise me if it's actually 12" for the storm so far.

I put my snowboard in the run after my noon clearing. The 6ft welded wire fence and hawk netting is really cutting down on the wind. The flakes fall right through the net.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Winds are preventing TAN from official blizzard...they had peak gusts of only 28 knots between noon and 1pm. But if you can keep the vis 1/4 or lower for the next couple hours, it will prob make it, because winds have increased...its been constantly 33-35 knots for gusts there.

Yeah, it's tough too pull it off here.  Winds are peaking now so we'll see.  Dumping snow again as it looks like the pivot is occurring and the bands are re-intensifying.  Guessing I'm around 16" now.

Archived