Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Damn. This is going to be us by tomorrow. Yikes.

Prepare for the worst you have seen flooding wise. That very well may be what is coming.

My moms house is on the marsh. Water is highest she has ever seen it.

Some flooding up here in newburyport as well. Nothing like that though

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just pics of Atlantic ave in Boston near aquarium...crazy. Sea ice thrown all into the road form the harbor.

Remember when BOX told coastal infrastructure to prepare for serious flooding? Great enhancement of wording on their part.

22 minutes ago, apm said:

I wonder why the water is so high in Boston with the wind from due North?  I could see Cape Cod Bay for sure being high. Perhaps it is (low) pressure related?

Yep Ekman Spiral FTW. Think of it like Coriolis for water. Water piles up to the right of wind direction. So north wind throws surge towards the New England coast.

9 minutes ago, skierinvermont said:

I haven't been following the obs, but judging from the radar am I wrong in thinking totals from NYC through western CT and the Berkshires may rival or exceed SE MA? Great banding and possibly better ratios?

You guys will win, but we did great. Roughly a foot here in Queens, verified blizzard despite a lack of a warning.

9 minutes ago, skierinvermont said:

I haven't been following the obs, but judging from the radar am I wrong in thinking totals from NYC through western CT and the Berkshires may rival or exceed SE MA? Great banding and possibly better ratios?

It's been at least 2"/hr stuff for the last couple hours, visibility is down to yards, this band is rivaling my avatar! Closing in on 13" here!!

4 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

The city is wild right now. All I hear is sirens. Plows seem to have re routed elsewhere.

Based on the pictures, I'm really worried about all the underground infrastructure in or around the Seaport. There are numerous underground parking garages there, for example, not to mention the T stops. The one under the Seaport hotel has me particularly worried (but there's no shortage of others). Also, just wondering what it would take to get water into the harbor tunnels--I'm guessing that's better protected than those parking garages, but I don't really know.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
205 PM EST Thu Jan 4 2018

CTZ005>007-009>011-NYZ078>081-177-179-042200-
NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX-
SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN-SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX-
NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-
SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN NASSAU-
205 PM EST Thu Jan 4 2018

...INCREASING SNOWFALL RATES...

At 2:00 PM EST, a band of heavy snow will slowly move to the east
across Long Island and southwest Connecticut.

Snowfall rates of 1-3 inches per hour will occur at times with
this band.

Winds in excess of 50 mph are possible within this band, causing
some downed tree and possibly wires as well.

Visibilities may drop to near zero at times, producing whiteout
conditions.

Travel is not recommended this afternoon.

Just now, weathafella said:

I have to get out and measure again.  Crazy snow rates and snow seems pretty deep.  Will do it in the next few minutes and I’m guessing 9-10.

How awesome is this my brother. 9 new here, weenies tossed everywhere. To those who doubted Epicosity would result eventually from this pattern we once again remind you, get us the cold it will snow. Congrats to the jacks

Archived