Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I am quite shocked at how far west that band has moved. It's always so tough to gauge that. I know there is a good amount of research that exists on what methods can be used to help forecast these things and I would like to explore them further. I know from reading here models tend to have a bias and are generally too far SE with the banding...so if you go by that, given where models had best fronto/VV's it would make sense for the banding to be where it is...but the question is how far of a bias do they have? 

I wonder if there is some average distance away from the H7 low where the banding will usually be...maybe it depends on strength of the low, orientation of it, etc?

I always expect them to go more west than forecast... though I was thinking more like Rt. 8. Lol

3 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

yeah, not expecting huge winds, probably later today will get 20-30 gusts.. don't want to lose power so that's ok with me

That's not what backside reports indicate. More in-line with 40-50mph gusts. Combined with continued deepening 50 might be to low.  

4 minutes ago, klw said:

Good, I'm not crazy. 5.5" I feel like I've been smoking exhaust quite a bit.

The data is Showing a massive storm moving up along the SE coast last night thru today...then 50 miles east of Cape Cod this afternoon.... this storm will act almost like a Hurricane and have a lower pressure than some hurricanes.

The Air Force has an Air Craft flying in to the storm right now to get more data and hopefully help the models with this storm....these storms with so much energy and arctic air many times are not handled well. Even here with light type snow as the winds increase, expect blowing and drifting with near whiteouts in the outer areas tomorrow afternoon.

The main factor behind this storm, will be the insane cold.....and most dangerous.  It is hard  to believe this can happen again-the third arctic outbreak. Blowing and drifting in open and exposed areas will be a major issue right into Saturday afternoon. Everyone be careful in the meantime... new data will come out tonight 

Archived