Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Oh...24.4 on the mountain. Almost 1” of sleet accum. You can tell snow is mixing in but dendrites r takin a beatin from sleet. 

I was trying to figure out how you were reporting sleet and snow in Akron, then I remembered you're up in Tioga County...lol

Down 15 degrees to 42 since last post and falling rapidly.  Winds NNE 15 gusting to 25 with moderate to heavy rain falling.

The verbiage from NWS for me  has changed slightly, now emphasizing a longer period of freezing rain before transitioning to sleet then snow.  Saying the temps will drop below freezing within the next 4 hours (by 4:00am).  Should be interesting to see what's going on here in the morning.

Just now, MAG5035 said:

FINALLY getting sleet starting to mix here, temps still about 35ºF-36ºF. I thought western/central PA was going to become part of Lake Erie with how much rainfall we've had today. 

I'm at 1.63" as I type this and it's coming down pretty good at the moment. If my gauge doesn't freeze up (down to 38 now) I might go over the 2 inch mark. I've got to figure that Hazleton, 12 miles north of me, is pretty close to going over to zr as the midnight obs for them were already down to 34. 

I imagine with all of this rain and wind there will be a number of power outages tonight.  Already seeing some pop up on the outages maps in this area.  Mine has gone off and back on twice now.  The temp drop here wasn't as fast as it was for places north and west but after 2 hours I am finally down from 62F to 42F.  Have to feel for the rescue crews working the flooded areas across the region too with the temps continuing to fall overnight. 

Been watching the HRRR runs this evening.  The most recent, coming out now, the 5Z shows that between 5:00am and 7:00am those west and north of MDT receive between 0.5" and 1.0" of snow.  That's the first (hourly) run this evening to show anything more than a dusting in and around the LSV (mainly west of the Susky).  We'll see if I wake up to a nice coating and white ground again after it all vanished in yesterday's "THAW"...short-lived as it was.

The rapid decent of temps has slowed down dramatically in the last 15 minutes with my temp holding at 39.9 degrees for the time being.  'Nite all...

PS>>Picked up a total rainfall for the event thus far of 1.07" of liquid.

PPS>>Just noted a peak wind gust so far of 34.2mph back at 12:34am from the NNW.

Temps have crashed back into the mid 20s and precip has transitioned to all snow (moderate to heavy) in the last half hour and it is very windy. Visibility's a quarter mile or so at best right now, with roads covered and likely icing up. Travel conditions look rough on US 22 and US 219 in Cambria county via 511 cams. 

43 minutes ago, 2001kx said:

would guess at least 2" here so far.

Walked around a bit outside and about 1-1.5" is my best guess down here. Are you getting a lot of wind up in Clearfield? It is really blowing down here, probably 30-35mph gusts at times with a couple bouts of near blizzard conditions. KAOO and KJST have both had some 35mph+ gusts in the last hour or so. Might not end up with much more than 2" but man it's nasty outside right now.

Here's a couple videos I took a little while ago. You can really hear the wind blowing in the distance with headphones on. Did some measuring and will say it's at about 1.5" but it's been blowing all over the place. It's settled down a bit with some lighter snows currently, winds are still gusty.

3 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Walked around a bit outside and about 1-1.5" is my best guess down here. Are you getting a lot of wind up in Clearfield? It is really blowing down here, probably 30-35mph gusts at times with a couple bouts of near blizzard conditions. KAOO and KJST have both had some 35mph+ gusts in the last hour or so. Might not end up with much more than 2" but man it's nasty outside right now.

I didnt notice alot of wind but im sheltered here.

Would call it 4" here

We had solid moderate to heavy rain when I went to bed at 1am, and I woke briefly at 4am, and it was still moderate rain, and the temp had only dropped to 37 from the 38 it was at 1am. Rain gauge had 2.24" in for the event at that point, but a quick look at radar showed that it was just about over and a dry slot was coming up from the south. That proved to be correct, because as of 8am this morning, the gauge read 2.35". We did not get any sleet or freezing rain, but we did pick up a dusting of snow after that, though, and the temp crashed again as we are now down to 23 here with some pretty crazy wind gusts...

The rain & wind overnight was strong as the front pressed through. My trash cans were in the neighbor’s yard this morning!

I woke up about an hour ago to the streets completely iced over in Marysville along with a solid dusting of snow on top of all surfaces & temps now in the high 20’s.

It also looks like another area of light snow is moving up from northern MD into southern PA that will maybe give the LSV another hour of light snow soon.

4 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Woke up to 0.2" of snow on the ground.  Total liquid was 1.19".

Now we're back below freezing continuously for the next 6 days (until next Friday afternoon).  That's going to add tremendously to the total number of days to fail to reach 32 for a high.  

On to perhaps a small snow event on Tuesday??

Yes, the GFS at 12z had a couple of inches of snow for the LSV on Tuesday.

The Euro for the last few days has been bringing 4 to 8 inches to our region on Tuesday & Wednesday between overrunning & a coastal developing.

If we just get the overrunning, I think we have a good chance for a 1 to 3 or 2 to 4 inch of snow event with this one.

3 hours ago, canderson said:

The Susquehanna in Harrisburg is wild today, overnight it got jammed and rise above the banks downtown pushing car-sized icebergs n the banks. It’s dropped so flood fears are now minimal.

Took these a few minutes ago. 

8AB6BAB8-8810-4248-8464-91C8E58E08C0.thumb.jpeg.b5c52cb4b0fe7227c009fa759ac27e16.jpeg1F0C0B42-9EBC-466A-8356-B7327A1F115C.thumb.jpeg.c96780f07bbd19d1f2d96a0a33efe2fc.jpeg

Those are some great photos of the ice. We drove down 11 & 15 today through Wormleysburg & the views of the ice were stunning. Then, towards home in Marysville, we stopped at a small boat landing along the river & got to experience the ice up close. The ice looked to be at least 1 foot thick in spots !

13 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Those are some great photos of the ice. We drove down 11 & 15 today through Wormleysburg & the views of the ice were stunning. Then, towards home in Marysville, we stopped at a small boat landing along the river & got to experience the ice up close. The ice looked to be at least 1 foot thick in spots !

I'm not sure how old you are or how long you lived in Marysville, but in 1996 the bridge that goes over the railroad tracks in Overview was closed. When the river flooded all that ice came up on river road and up to and around those houses. We had an incident at one of those houses about a 1/2 mile south from the rockville bridge. We walked ( for those not familiar with the area it was easily a mile, maybe 1 1/2 miles) with all our equipment from overview up there. It was night time but we really didn't need lights as the way the moon was on the ice. But talk about Eerie sounds and the sights of that ice piled up was something i'll probably never see again. I always had appreciation for the river, but gained a lot more respect for it that night. There was 5 or 6 of us that made that hike and we still talk about it. When we came back, we walked up the railroad tracks as it was an easier walk.  

59 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Honestly not sure how NWS has us in lower totals than southern pa when models show opposite.

not sure what youre looking at, but the models depict this perfectly.  12z NAM shows very similar evlolution.

2 part system.  First vort pass from the north is for you guys,

2nd is for us southerners as a coastal spins up after the trough spins through.

Archived