Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Anduril said:

Man...the dry slot is epic

Epic is an understatement...lmao

So far, I have 0.85 in the backyard rain gauge, but it looks like it'll shut off here any minute here as well. It would have been a nice soaker if the ground wasn't frozen. Normally, I'll get water in my basement from a heavy thunderstorm or if we top the 2 inch mark in the gauge, but I already have it with less than an inch. I slammed an ice chopper into the bare ground that the dog killed, and it only went in about an inch. Under that is frozen.

This storm almost reminds me of the other Jan '96 storm (the one that caused the flood), except of course.. all of us didn't have 3 feet of snow on the ground this time. A major warm surge with excessive rainfall (albeit in a diff part of the state) but an extremely sharp temperature gradient on the frontal passage. A lot of flooding issues in western PA ahead of the wintry part of the system. 

28 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

This storm almost reminds me of the other Jan '96 storm (the one that caused the flood), except of course.. all of us didn't have 3 feet of snow on the ground this time. A major warm surge with excessive rainfall (albeit in a diff part of the state) but an extremely sharp temperature gradient on the frontal passage. A lot of flooding issues in western PA ahead of the wintry part of the system. 

Did Jan 96 feature a dryslot the size of Massachusetts? :)

16 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Looks like some severe storms incoming

. Pro

Well didn't think I'd have the first severe thunderstorm warning of the year before getting any kind of half decent snow but there's that I guess haha. Had some really heavy rain but not a lot of wind with it. It's windy now though, that line of storms represents the frontal passage and temps are already starting to fall. The mesowest station thats a few blocks away just went from like 55 to 49 in ten minutes. KJST is reporting 39ºF while KAOO is reporting 59ºF. 

40 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Well didn't think I'd have the first severe thunderstorm warning of the year before getting any kind of half decent snow but there's that I guess haha. Had some really heavy rain but not a lot of wind with it. It's windy now though, that line of storms represents the frontal passage and temps are already starting to fall. The mesowest station thats a few blocks away just went from like 55 to 49 in ten minutes. KJST is reporting 39ºF while KAOO is reporting 59ºF. 

That’s downright funny.

13 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

There will certainly be ice with this setup, but the wedge of cold being advected into the system will be pretty good and a deep enough layer should keep a fair amount of this precip in the form of sleet. I think areas down by the PA line out by Gettysburg and Chambersburg could see some solid ZR that will cause trouble in those parts. Central counties should be more on the sleet side after it starts as ZR, then change over to snow. Quite the mess up there incoming. I wish I could go chase it, but you know the whole working thing. I'll chase my rain south of the Mason Dixon. Boooo

I’m up in west central Tioga 3 miles from Potter line. I hope to have some pics tomorrow. Down to 32 here.  

Here we Gooo......

i hope. 

Crazy flooding up here. Galeton is closed. 

11 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I’m up in west central Tioga 3 miles from Potter line. I hope to have some pics tomorrow. Down to 32 here.  

Here we Gooo......

i hope. 

Crazy flooding up here. Galeton is closed. 

I see they had some ice jams up that way.

46 degrees here. Front is moving faster than they was predicting.

4 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

That is exactly what I was thinking of. Up here in the Lake Michigan snowbelt in Michigan I started off Wednesday with 16 inches of snow on the ground. In the matter of 24 hours I pretty much lost ALL of it. Record high temp of 56 degrees, dewpoint around 50,  and .85 inches of rain. Now down to snow piles everywhere and patches in yards. Not very happy at all about it.

2 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

When it came through the dense fog went poof and the temp dropped 56 to 49 in a matter of 5 min

Last set of temperature obs (10:00pm) had Scranton at 40, Mount Pocono at 58, Hazleton at 61, and Tamaqua at 63. the front is slowly getting down to my location and might be almost overhead right now as we are getting a pretty good dumping right now. Winds are still calm and out of the SSW though. Rainfall up to 1.29" out of the storm so far.

25 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Just got the wind shift a couple minutes ago. SSE to SSW have shifted to NNW. temperature plunge imminent...

Wind shift happened about 15 minutes before the front blew through which was about 10 minutes ago. Since that time, we dropped 13 degrees.

Windshift just happened five minutes ago...now NNW at 15 to 20.  Temp at 55 and about to tank.  Pressure bottomed out at 997.  Btw, had a high of 67.5 degrees this afternoon in the sun.  Supposed to be 60 degrees colder for tomorrow night's low here...WOW!  Oh yeah, picked up so far about 0.70" of precip, but radar looks juicy to the south.

Archived