Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, canderson said:

I’m surprised by the WWA. Precip looks incredibly light, less than .1” and there is enough salt on every road here to resuplly all the oceans in this galaxy.

If I were the nws I’d not assume as such when considering whether or not to Issue an advisory. .1 is plenty enough to cause trouble especially coming out of the cold we’ve just had. Makes sense to me. 

6 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

If I were the nws I’d not assume as such when considering whether or not to Issue an advisory. .1 is plenty enough to cause trouble especially coming out of the cold we’ve just had. Makes sense to me. 

Yea, any precip that falls will freeze on contact. Going to be using a metric F ton of salt tomorrow. Round one begins in about 7 hours. 

since the pattern is relaxing and all the warmies are a flutter.....

I could get used to relaxing as well.  :whistle::whistle::poster_oops:

posted just for fun, but point to be made, relaxed pattern invites moisture and while there is also warm/rain associated, I'll take my chances during "warmup 0001 2018".

Nut

gfs_asnow_neus_41.png

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

since the pattern is relaxing and all the warmies are a flutter.....

I could get used to relaxing as well.  :whistle::whistle::poster_oops:

posted just for fun, but point to be made, relaxed pattern invites moisture and while there is also warm/rain associated, I'll take my chances during "warmup 0001 2018".

Nut

gfs_asnow_neus_41.png

I like this. Yeah why have brutal cold if no snow. Just needs to be cold enough.

Flurries have become steady light snow here in Carlisle shortly after 11:00am.  No mix, all snow.  Have a dusting with a temp of 22.  Got down to 11.5 degrees last night which I think was lower than had been projected.

Edit>>Just checked again and there appear to be a few ice pellets mixed in with the snow...maybe a 95:5 ratio.

23 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Had to run some tools over to Pottsville for my son in law, and the onset of precip is freezing rain. Not good as the temp is only 19. I was hoping this would have started as snow, or at least sleet...

Wow, that's really surprising for you up there. Wonder what's up with that?

steady sleet/zr here in Etown.

and yes, map above does look like the favored interior locations.  12z op stepped slightly back, but its an op run5+ days out.  Ensembles will be telling.

for the record, as much as i want to, I dont pick the model w/ the most snow/nicest pics.  I just have fun, but know better than to trust them.

ensembles looked decent overnight, hopin the trends hold/better.  Likely not but who knows.  

Just now, canderson said:

Warm layer is likely a little thicker to the east around Pottsville compared to CarlislePaWx's location based on what SPC's mesoscale analysis is showing for 850mb and 925mb .  This could very well start for some as freezing rain before heavier precip changes it back to a little snow as the dry air to start helps with some cooling through the column.  The heavier band currently on radar from Carlisle to Hagerstown, MD and further south and west has several snow reports popping up on mPING.

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

Like djr said, might be a bit warmer aloft over here. Being closer due to higher elevation, it may not have had time to freeze into pellets. Hopefully, heavier precip does turn it back to frozen.

5 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Same up here, really uneventful.

Late week storm kind of looks interesting on some models, but 12z GFS is probably right with the low tracking right over us so we get nothing but the 40 degrees and showers....getting pretty depressing seeing such an active pattern waste away.

Archived