Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, pasnownut said:

I 81 never was supposed to be in. I am in the fringe/screw zone but this storm was for the fishies a few days ago. Now blizzard warnings have popped for eastern locals. Good for them. We’ll get ours. 

I knew that for most of the week, but like I said, the NAM's sucked me in for a bit when they were showing 2-4 back this way last night. As it turns out, the 3/10 inch I managed to get is probably going to about do it as you can see the western edge drying out this morning. The wind (at least in my location) is starting to crank up a bit though from the coastal. I imagine it's quite a show 100 miles east of here...

And I've got to say that it really doesn't matter if I know going in that I won't get much, these are the storms that tick me off....

When a storm cuts and we end up turning to rain, it's easier to take than getting scraped with a half inch while NYC and the shore get 12-20 inches. I don't know why, but a fish storm is more potential lost than one that gives us a couple of inches before it taints and heads to the lakes.

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

Current view of the Susquehanna River, courtesy @ReporterAHonea on Twitter (A CBS 21 reporter):

DSs7WvdX0AEhCD8.thumb.jpg.2f77cce11e309ce4310315e059417adb.jpgDSs7_Wvd_X0_AEh_CD8.jpgDSs7_Wvd_X0_AEh_CD8.jpg

That's more frozen than down this way. In fact, on Monday the river was about 80% open in spots above Marietta. (it was significantly more covered than that in other spots down here though)

Getting into a few of the far western bands, so the snow has picked up in intensity again. It's light to borderline moderate here at the moment. No way I can even think of getting an accurate measurement though. It's way to windy, even in my more sheltered location.

I've got steady light snow here again as the western edge of the snow shield has back-built enough to almost reach the western edge of Cumberland county.  I've picked up a great big total of 0.1" of snow from this storm...about what I expected (a dusting).  Would have liked a solid inch in advance of the motherlode of arctic air incoming, but I'm still hoping to drop to lower than 4 below Saturday night before the warmup begins.  It's 22 here now with winds 10-15 gusting to 25 about 30 minutes ago.

33 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Well I may be on the sidelines for the "bomb cyclone" but the gusty wind is quickly ushering in that air that's colder than Mars. News headlines sometimes... haha

I saw those headlines on various news sites and said some editor was looking for flash.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

The MA forum has declared winter dead. 

Yeah some sour grapes down there already. Makes me laugh. It’s the end of the second week of met winter and we still have another week (or more depending on what model u hug) left of a well below normal stretch thx to the -EPO. 

Like Bob said go look at the weeklies. Im fine with what I read.

warmups are inevitable. AO and NAO are volatile teleconnections and I’m not convinced next week is terrible yet let alone next month. 

23 minutes ago, canderson said:

CTP seems kinda bullish on Monday. 

Yes they do.  Took out mention of freezing rain and/or plain rain (for MDT area, at least).  Now all frozen...snow/sleet.  That seems a bit encouraging.  Meanwhile, these wind gusts to 30+ with wind chills of -5 are not encouraging.

1 hour ago, maytownpawx said:

They ain't looking for cold, if there isn't 4 feet of snow on the ground, winter sucks. 

They should keep their expectations realistic  as should most...just go by climo and what they get for average snowfall, they probably will get normal snowfall for the winter.

2 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

The MA became kinda spoiled after few blockbuster years, so now some are insufferable.

Truth. I've said that many times about my own area. I was reading in the NYC forum the other day, perhaps it was just yesterday, where someone was talking about how a SECS is equivalent to 6" of snow, and was then ridiculed that 6" is not significant. Hey, when I was a teen i hugged my little 'ole NOAA weather radio when Bob Curl, Dan Hurley, or Russ Jordan would announce a winter storm warning for 4"-8" of snow. That just isn't good enough for people today, apparently. 

Certain generations in certain areas along the east coast are in for a rude awakening if long- term climo reverts back to what those of us who were around here experienced in the 70s and 80s. 

Archived