Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/20/2018 at 2:39 PM, maytownpawx said:

74.4 here. Disgusting. This is even exceeding my thoughts from last week. 

If...and it's a big if...we have full sun down here tomorrow, there will be reports of 80. Book it. 

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. 

Lots of 80s today along the southern tier. Lancaster officially had it's first 80 EVER in February. I topped out at 81.2. 

And it’s official. Hottest day ever on February for Harrisburg.

RECORD EVENT REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
530 PM EST WED FEB 21 2018

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT HARRISBURG PA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 79 DEGREES WAS SET AT HARRISBURG PA 
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 71 SET IN 1997.

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 79 DEGREES SETS AN ALL TIME RECORD 
TEMPERATURES FOR THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD 
OF 78 SET ON FEBRUARY 27 1997.

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT HARRISBURG HAS HAD CONSECUTIVE DAILY 
HIGH TEMPERATURES GREATER THAN 75 DEGREES IN FEBRUARY.

$$

81.5 for me.  Now, back to the shocking reality of winter tomorrow with temps more than 40 degrees colder for highs with rain.  Reminds me of typical weather out in Denver.  Those kind of swings on a regular basis would be too much for me for sure.  Glad it's pretty rare around these parts.  With semi-brisk NNE winds I'm back down to 53 and dropping as the rain gets closer and closer...

Now that this short heat wave has mercifully ended, it is time to return our attention back to the potentially great March pattern that should develop.

The 0z GFS Op run has a nice winter storm around March 5th that travels just under PA due to the strengthening -NAO block. This storm as depicted on this run brings around 8 to 12 inches of snow to all of CTP.

We should get a few storm chances in this pattern through at least the middle of March. Hopefully 1 or 2 of these can make this a March to remember for snow.

I think I'm officially in go big or go home mode coming into March with this pattern shift. If we don't get rocked with a big time snowstorm or have the wintry version of the rainstorm train we're stuck in... the biggest memory I'm going to have of this winter is the fact it got to nearly 80ºF here two days in a row in February. And I thought last February was the ceiling of how warm it could get at this time of the year. That makes it 3 winters in a row that has had stretches with all-time monthly record warm type temps (Christmas week 2015, Feb '17, this year). I'm glad we actually managed to get a couple snowfalls this month but precip wise we're largely throwing away what already is the #5 wettest month on record (out of 123) according to climo data for State College. It's got a legit shot at #1 given the waves of rain progged to still traverse PA the next several days. I'm sure the other climo stations statewide are on similar footing (esp western PA). At least the early spring kayaking would figure to be pretty solid in central PA this year. 

I think I'm officially in go big or go home mode coming into March with this pattern shift. If we don't get rocked with a big time snowstorm or have the wintry version of the rainstorm train we're stuck in... the biggest memory I'm going to have of this winter is the fact it got to nearly 80ºF here two days in a row in February. And I thought last February was the ceiling of how warm it could get at this time of the year. That makes it 3 winters in a row that has had stretches with all-time monthly record warm type temps (Christmas week 2015, Feb '17, this year). I'm glad we actually managed to get a couple snowfalls this month but precip wise we're largely throwing away what already is the #5 wettest month on record (out of 123) according to climo data for State College. It's got a legit shot at #1 given the waves of rain progged to still traverse PA the next several days. I'm sure the other climo stations statewide are on similar footing (esp western PA). At least the early spring kayaking would figure to be pretty solid in central PA this year. 

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the last three winters. Pretty disturbing. If it wasn’t for the March storm last year people would remember the February warmth more than they do.

Archived