Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, canderson said:

It’s beautiful out indeed. Best storm of the year, and great timing as daylight was fading. Will be nice to have a storm without any sleet or zr for once this season,

Best storm of the season so far. You called this one weeks ago- Congrats!

Now that we have a warning, let’s just hope we get a decent measurement out of MDT for the books later on tonight.

Just after 7:00pm I have measured an additional 0.9" of snow in the past 75 minutes, giving me a storm total of 6.2".  Yay.  Not bad as it all fell in 3 1/2 hours.  Great storm.  Looking at latest radar it's doing something funky and splitting into a northern and southern heavy zone.  Hoping for a little more over the next few hours...maybe 7??

1 hour ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Just after 7:00pm I have measured an additional 0.9" of snow in the past 75 minutes, giving me a storm total of 6.2".  Yay.  Not bad as it all fell in 3 1/2 hours.  Great storm.  Looking at latest radar it's doing something funky and splitting into a northern and southern heavy zone.  Hoping for a little more over the next few hours...maybe 7??

Congrats on cracking 6”.  Let’s see what the treatment plant reports tomorrow.  I ended up with 3.5”.    Best banding was just north of me.  

1 minute ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Congrats on cracking 6”.  Let’s see what the treatment plant reports tomorrow.  I ended up with 3.5”.    Best banding was just north of me.  

Thanks.  I can practically wave to them across the creek from my back deck...lol.  There will be a little settling overnight, but I would expect them to report 6" for the 7am daily ob.  We'll see...lol.  

That band was so intense, and lasted for nearly 2 hours straight.  Now I'm already feeling post-storm depression.:(

24 minutes ago, canderson said:

5.1” is what I just measure and it’s not snowing anymore. It’s actually melting off roads and roofs already. 

MDT reported 3" at 7 pm - it's crazy how Harrisburg's official data source is so different than what actually occurs in Harrisburg

edit:  I just measured 6" and like you said I can hear it melting off the roof already

Well that was fun while it lasted! Basically a 4 hour storm. First flakes at 4pm and shut off soon after 8pm. Ended up with 4.5” in Ephrata which melted down to .43” of liquid so pretty much 10:1. This puts me over 22” for the season so far. Not that far from my 26.5” seasonal average. No complaints here.

3 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

How's things in Bellwood, Mr. Glunt? This storm seems to have atoned for all screwjobs this season to date.

I'm actually 4 miles down the road now near the PSU Altoona Campus now haha, but it's still pretty much the same as Bellwood. Yea it was a nice storm, no complaints here... other than the fact that the snow is going to be well on it's way to gone by Monday or so. 3.4" is the total I got here. We got a piece of that intense band that kicked the event off and that appears to have set up the bigger totals your way and over to the counties that ended up needing warnings. It looks like the heavy axis of snow ended up setting up a bit further into south central PA, which I noticed the HRRR picking up on just prior to and starting the event today. 

Well, the snow started back up again not long after my last post several hours ago.  We had the slow-motion large wet flakes falling gracefully to the ground.  Every tree is solidly covered with snow.  The woods behind my home look like a snow-covered evergreen forest...which they aren't.  It's still snowing lightly as I write this just before 11pm.  I took another measurement and found an additional 0.3" of snow has fallen, now giving me a storm total of 6.6".  Really nice event.  Just wish it didn't have to melt and get washed away so quickly tomorrow and Monday.  Even though we're headed for the 70's next week I'd be willing to bet there's at least one more snowstorm waiting for us before winter winds down.  Just think of those great March storms in the past, including last winter!

I'm waiting until the snow completely stops before I do my meltdown.  Assuming 10:1 I should end up with another 0.66" of liquid, which brings my YTD liquid up to 6.75", definitely ahead of precip normals...at this point.  BTW, even though my temp is 30.7 I can hear water (melting snow) running down my leaders too.

Archived