Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Ummm...apparently I underestimated the snowfall rate because it's only been 30 minutes since I posted 2.5" and I just measured 4.0" !!  That's 3"/hr rate.  We did have that kind of rate for multiple hours during the Jan'16 storm.  WOW!  Where's my upgraded winter storm warning????!!!!!!

Good luck with that. U kno how ctp rolls. 

I hate trolling them cause I do t envy their position but how many times have we been. Surrounded by adv/watch/warn and they are still “collaborating”. 

8 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Congratulations! Like I said a while ago, the radar is a snow lover's dream along the 81 corridor. I can't wait to see how much you end up with! 

Thanks, maytown.  It's so strange how the local Cumberland Valley area does with snow storms.  Blue Mountain always seems to play some kind of roll, sometimes good and sometimes bad.  I only live about 5 miles south of Sterett's gap, yet the incredible downsloping that constantly occurs with snow amazes me.  I do think that Blue Mountain plays a significant role in the microclimatology of the I-81 region.

Like Nut says, I'm always hoping that we all cash in on events even though many times the LSV is a dividing line of sorts between blah and great events.

PAZ036-056-057-059-063>066-172330-
Perry PA-York PA-Lancaster PA-Adams PA-Franklin PA-Cumberland PA-
Lebanon PA-Dauphin PA-
540 PM EST SAT FEB 17 2018

...AN AREA OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT PARTS OF PERRY...YORK...
LANCASTER...ADAMS...FRANKLIN...CUMBERLAND...LEBANON...AND DAUPHIN
COUNTIES...

HAZARDS...An area of heavy snow which can rapidly reduce visibility
to less than a quarter of a mile. This area of heavy snow is
producing extremely heavy snow at the rate of 1 to 2 inches per hour.

LOCATION AND MOVEMENT...At 536 PM EST, an area of heavy snow was
covering much of the lower Susquehanna Valley. The area of snow is
moving very little, but an edge to the heavier snow is moving
through the south-central mountains. That should decrease the
intensity of the snow from west to east over the next 2 hours.
However, locations southeast of Harrisburg could have the snow
intensify before tapering off later this evening.

Ok...just measured again after another 30 minutes.  Picked up another 1.3" of snow (2.6"/hr rate) for a storm total of 5.3".  Over the last 15 minutes the intensity has decreased some, so I'd say it's back down closer to about 1"/hr rate....lol.  But, that 5.3" of snow came in only about 2 1/4 hours.  Really nice.  Glad it was daylight and could enjoy seeing it.

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

PAZ036-056-057-059-063>066-172330-
Perry PA-York PA-Lancaster PA-Adams PA-Franklin PA-Cumberland PA-
Lebanon PA-Dauphin PA-
540 PM EST SAT FEB 17 2018

...AN AREA OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT PARTS OF PERRY...YORK...
LANCASTER...ADAMS...FRANKLIN...CUMBERLAND...LEBANON...AND DAUPHIN
COUNTIES...

HAZARDS...An area of heavy snow which can rapidly reduce visibility
to less than a quarter of a mile. This area of heavy snow is
producing extremely heavy snow at the rate of 1 to 2 inches per hour.

LOCATION AND MOVEMENT...At 536 PM EST, an area of heavy snow was
covering much of the lower Susquehanna Valley. The area of snow is
moving very little, but an edge to the heavier snow is moving
through the south-central mountains. That should decrease the
intensity of the snow from west to east over the next 2 hours.
However, locations southeast of Harrisburg could have the snow
intensify before tapering off later this evening.

Oh that would be nice to see happen...

6 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

I keep reminding myself how fortunate we are to be the beneficiaries of this goodness in an overall crappy pattern. There were a lot of very good mets who as recently as last weekend pretty much said the threat of snow was close to zero for the next 2-3 weeks. Less than a full week later...we snow. 

Yup. Well said man. It likes to snow when it can in peak climo. 

7 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Ok...just measured again after another 30 minutes.  Picked up another 1.3" of snow (2.6"/hr rate) for a storm total of 5.3".  Over the last 15 minutes the intensity has decreased some, so I'd say it's back down closer to about 1"/hr rate....lol.  But, that 5.3" of snow came in only about 2 1/4 hours.  Really nice.  Glad it was daylight and could enjoy seeing it.

Outside of Newville just up the road from you. Phenomenal rates. Over 6" since 330pm

1 minute ago, whiteout said:

Outside of Newville just up the road from you. Phenomenal rates. Over 6" since 330pm

Yep....congrats to you also.  I like your handle.  Even at its most intense it wasn't white-out conditions.  I remember driving through a whiteout on Trindle Road a few year's back from Mechanicsburg to Carlisle when I ran right into it.  I had just turned off of Trindle and all of the sudden I literally could see nothing in front of my car.  I couldn't even tell where the road was, so I just pulled over a bit and stopped and hoped no one behind me would run into me.  Exciting, but scary few minutes at the time.

It really doesn't matter if CTP upgrades to warnings or not in the grand scheme of things...I mean that alone doesn't give any of us any more or less snow, but with multiple locations on the 81 corridor reporting upwards of a half foot already, it does seem irresponsible that they haven't upgraded Cumberland and Dauphin at the very least. 

4 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

It really doesn't matter if CTP upgrades to warnings or not in the grand scheme of things...I mean that alone doesn't give any of us any more or less snow, but with multiple locations on the 81 corridor reporting upwards of a half foot already, it does seem irresponsible that they haven't upgraded Cumberland and Dauphin at the very least. 

I don’t care if they busted low as long as they were following guidance. They were throwing in stuff about losing accums due to ground temps when most weenies in here knew that 2m temps were close enough, and with dews in the low 20’s we wouldn’t waste much. IMO This storm has been modeled rather consistently for Adams through Allentown  

I just hate the constant tone of downplaying. 

Ok back to enjoying our snow. 

Archived