Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

55 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

It's nice to see the NAO finally going negative on the model forecasts. It's not so nice seeing such a negative PNA.. like really negative.. down under -6 at one point! That's an overpowering magnitude even if we reverse to a -NAO eventually. Even half that magnitude implies some of the troughiness and cold air dumping into the west is going to suggest the SE ridge is going to be an influence in response with or without a -NAO. 

4indices.thumb.png.e5fae13ad2f7cf06049f8a180b897a7e.png

How far down the line are we talking to see any effects from this?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, anotherman said:

Check the dates in the bottom of each indicies.

Verbatim PNA says trough in west 19th as NAO still not very neg so that screams ridge in east.

As PNA rises back towards + would say more zonal flow and NAO going further neg would help to suppress flow in the east.  Imo best time for a colder snow event would be a bowling ball coming across or energy from the SW between 2/27 through 3/3ish.  Can’t really say much more than that from indicies above.  Hope that helps  

Check the dates in the bottom of each indicies.
Verbatim PNA says trough in west 19th as NAO still not very neg so that screams ridge in east.
As PNA rises back towards + would say more zonal flow and NAO going further neg would help to suppress flow in the east.  Imo best time for a colder snow event would be a bowling ball coming across or energy from the SW between 2/27 through 3/3ish.  Can’t really say much more than that from indicies above.  Hope that helps  

Thanks, man. Let’s hope we get an epic end of winter.

13 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Thanks, man. Let’s hope we get an epic end of winter.

I'm right with ya.  to me, NAO is critical based on other indicies.  Otherwise, we'd be playin w/ fire and natsomuch ice....

also to my eye, ensembles seemed a little less pronounced with NAO it but still workable.  Too far out to get really caught up other than to monitor trends IMO.  As PNA rises towards neutral, NAO EPO and AO can all help to keep us on the right side of the snow fence.  We've seen what a neg EPO can do for us cold wise, so to my less than trained eye, its still workable.  Just trying to throw some chatter out there, and if any see otherwise, chime in.

0z's are running and the NAM'rs are starting off on the right foot.  Much of our forum is into the goods and would be a nice event.  Hoping rest of overnights keep trending right for us.

GFS also trends a little better.  ICON only one that looks a little less excited about snow in these here parts...

Hoping the across the pond model does as well.  I'm turning in, so gnight all.

4 hours ago, anotherman said:

Well we already have been seeing the effects of the -PNA, with the southeast ridging pumping up warmth and lots of rain to close out this week. We're lucking out with this wave this weekend, which is timed well enough in the heels of tonight/tomorrows system to traverse the eastern US while it is still cold enough for our area. I mean really the weekend system in itself is a good example of the ability to still winter when the pattern is downright lousy for it.

Right after that getting into next week (coinciding with the biggest drop in the PNA ) is when more troughing dumping into the west and pumping up what looks to be an even more anomalous ridge in the eastern third of the country. It's right around then that the NAO is supposed to go negative. We're probably looking around at least another 7-10 days before we MAY see the establishment of a -NAO help us out. There's still a lot of other factors going on and I think we're still in a transition period where the models are still trying to hash out the mid-long range. Guidance is still kinda split on what to do with the MJO.. either taking it into Phase 8/1 or losing the pulse into the circle without ever coming out of 7. I have felt we've needed this strong pulse to continue to traverse into phase 8 (which pretty much amounts to the pulse of tropical convection moving across the western Pacific toward the western hemisphere, etc to help force this -NAO we've seen being modeled. I want to be optimistic about the chances in March, and I am to a degree... but I'm still uncertain how well things are going to come to fruition. Or if they do.. it may well be later in March. We can do just fine without a -NAO. However, if we're going to be playing with a pretty solid -PNA pattern... we better have a pretty robust west based -NAO to force the southeast ridge down enough, or we'll be dealing with a lot more rainy waves and limited chances for snow. 

9 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i would assume i have already reached my high temp for the day and it will steadily decline throughout. 

Happy Friday fellas :wacko: cheers

I believe you are correct. 

Confession...and this kinda proves my cold bias, but after watching it get up to 76 in my living room last evening, I cranked up the AC. Oh yes I did...

11 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

I believe you are correct. 

Confession...and this kinda proves my cold bias, but after watching it get up to 76 in my living room last evening, I cranked up the AC. Oh yes I did...

So proud of you.....

you get the atta boy for the day!!

Yeah I was not ready for yesterday. Guess it’s practice for what’s around the corner. Just hoping the corner is a long long sweeping one and not a hard right 

Hmm, in either 2015 or 2016 it was super warm on Christmas Eve. It felt very strange going to bed that night with the air running. My wife was like "do we really need the air running on Christmas Eve" and I'm saying does it really matter what the date is if it's a sauna in the house?

At any rate, it's a beautifully damp fall morning outside. Here's hoping for good model runs at 12z today...

34 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Hmm, in either 2015 or 2016 it was super warm on Christmas Eve. It felt very strange going to bed that night with the air running. My wife was like "do we really need the air running on Christmas Eve" and I'm saying does it really matter what the date is if it's a sauna in the house?

At any rate, it's a beautifully damp fall morning outside. Here's hoping for good model runs at 12z today...

December 2015. i mowed my grass that afternoon, just to say i did it

2 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

CTP's forecast discussion this morning wasn't much of a read. I think it might have been 2 sentences for tomorrow and tomorrow night. 

They have been less then thrilled about this the last couple of days. I guess when it happens and there are impacts they will change their tune. 

1 minute ago, maytownpawx said:

CTP's forecast discussion this morning wasn't much of a read. I think it might have been 2 sentences for tomorrow and tomorrow night. 

They have a bias against snow and it's evident in their wording at times.  Been that way for a long....long time.

While I get that they dont have to like it, for those that relish our few months, its often painful to read for those of us that seemingly "know better".  lol

and to be fair, sometimes they are right in their approach. 

Just now, paweather said:

it's a good quick hit. Thump and done. 

and qpf distribution is similar to the Euro.  looks like they still like rt 15 to i 80 boundary for best snow too.  Northern sheild backed off a bit, but is not totally shocking due to speed of storm.  

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

FWIW 3k just got stingy for true central. 

Hug 12k if you want more snow...

It's about the difference between 0.5" and 1" for this part of true central haha. It looks good for the LSV, but not for much of any other part of the subforum. NAM has really tightened the northern extent to the snowfall over the last few runs since 18z last night. 

Archived