Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

WOAH 

CBS 21’s Tom Russell says State College gets 1’. 

58A31888-C1EF-452C-A46C-4B476AB06383.jpeg.e6bf859dbd1027b6ffa18c4c5287b666.jpeg

Highly doubtful. If the new NAM’s right, no one south of I-80 probably gets more than 3-4” and much of that would be sleet on the way to a nasty period of ZR. Hopefully it’s wrong, but mid level warm layers are always an issue in PA in SWFEs. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sauss06 said:

I'm honestly expecting a duplicate of Sunday. 

I'll take a duplicate of Sunday.  3.7" of snow followed by sleet then a little zr and ending right as temp hits 32.0.

BTW, I wanted to mention this earlier.  The total liquid from the Sunday event measured 0.71" which was even wetter than the wettest the NAM ever had.  Just a few days earlier everyone was mentioning about how dry the model(s) were and that the gulf connection looked very poor.  Then, all of the sudden, amounts increased dramatically, with nearly 3/4" of liquid!

At this point with the NAM, the 3k NAM and the HRRR giving MDT 0.2", 1.1", and 1.4" of snow total respectively, all then follow with between 0.4" and 0.6" of plain rain, it's pretty hard to imagine that the GFS isn't going to start the massive cave to the warm side in the next 30 minutes.  All the models have something other than snow falling by no later than 9:00am, with the NAM having it just raining by 7:00am at MDT.  That's almost inconceivable at this point that the transition over would take place that quickly.  The HRRR has plain rain falling throughout the LSV by 10:00am.

Needless to say, anxious to see what the GFS is about to do.  Tom Russell's forecast for LSV looks optimistic for snow at this point.  

OMG...unbelievable...the 0Z GFS still has the exact same amount of snow for MDT as it had for 18Z:  5.1" of snow!!!!  How is this possible?  I hate to say it since it's been said many times before but.....will the GFS score the proverbial coups with this storm????? WOW.

BTW...was just outside and still see stars in the partially clear skies.  Now down to 24/17.  That would certainly lead to at the very least a longer period of freezing rain before any change over to plain rain.  But, what if the GFS is right????  10:1 had 5.1" at MDT, Kuchera, below, even better at 5.3"

snku_acc.us_ne.png

7 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

OMG...unbelievable...the 0Z GFS still has the exact same amount of snow for MDT as it had for 18Z:  5.1" of snow!!!!  How is this possible?  I hate to say it since it's been said many times before but.....will the GFS score the proverbial coups with this storm????? WOW.

BTW...was just outside and still see stars in the partially clear skies.  Now down to 24/17.  That would certainly lead to at the very least a longer period of freezing rain before any change over to plain rain.  But, what if the GFS is right????

The precip is going to come in & hit us with intense rates from the onset. Just like Sunday, I think it will snow at 1 inch per hour rates for 4 or 5 hours, then we mix & the maybe some plain rain to end it in the afternoon.

The cold usually holds in the Susquehanna valley longer than forecasted. This is not some strong low cutting to Erie. The GFS have the low tomorrow staying south of the MD line. The GFS has been very consistent with the snow amounts for the last few days for our area.

While I agree that many in the greater Harrisburg area will experience a significant amount of frozen precip, I'm going to side with Canderson that most will see LESS snow than Sunday. I believe the warm tongue aloft will move much faster and farther north than many expect. Just for fun, I'll say that everyone S&E of UNV will receive 4" or less. I'll go with 2.5" in Carlisle and Marysville, and I'll go with 1.4" officially at MDT. 

Please troll me hard if you significantly exceed those amounts. :) I am certainly no expert and those numbers and thoughts are based solely on instinct and a half-century plus of living here. 

2 hours ago, skiier04 said:

LOL that's hilarious. Yeah seen this one too many times before. Expecting 2-4" then a bunch of sleet up here. Short range models cluing in on the upper level warm nose late in the game as usual.

Yup. We both know all too well how these go in State College. One thing to look for is a decent period of freezing rain vs a lot of sleet. The warm layer seems lower in the column than usual. I'm thinking it'll be hard to find totals above 4" anywhere south of I-80. And a lot of these snow maps count sleet as snow, and underestimate the mid level warm push.

12 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yup. We both know all too well how these go in State College. One thing to look for is a decent period of freezing rain vs a lot of sleet. The warm layer seems lower in the column than usual. I'm thinking it'll be hard to find totals above 4" anywhere south of I-80. And a lot of these snow maps count sleet as snow, and underestimate the mid level warm push.

If you're right you just made me look smart. Not very often that happens though. (me being smart)

5 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Yuck..guess Ill take odds, Williamsport usually is money for mostly snow in these deals. Why in the heck do we have warning for 4 inches...seems silly lol.

You don't have a warning for 4". That is only my guess. I think snow amounts are going to be lower than a lot of us are hoping for. 

CTP downgraded HBG forecast to <1” snow fwiw. 

Overnight
Snow. Low around 23. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible. 
Wednesday
Snow, freezing rain, and sleet before 10am, then periods of rain or freezing rain between 10am and 1pm, then periods of rain after 1pm. High near 35. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Archived